The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 18, 2008, 08:03 AM   #1
dragonfire

Heres my buck and story 56k warning

So being aweekend opener in northern MI the woods were busy.The spot I was in I knew bucks were there due to the hundreds of scrapes I had seen the week prior to the weekend.First two days were boring and I only saw about 15 does.With all the heavy snowfall and all the hunters in the woods I knew they'd be hiding.Monday morning rolls around and I get out a little earlier,and everyone's gone except me and dad would be in the woods a little later.At around 8:00 am I spot a nice lil 4 point walking about 100 yards in front of me and is circing around right to me.I ready my rifle shaking from excitement,at this moment my cell starts vibrating,I tell myself I am going to kill whoever it was calling.The buck is about 75 yards out staring at me,obviously wondering what the hell that noise is.The phone stops and the buck dissappeared.At this point Im pretty mad 15 seconds later he pops right out at about 60 yards away in a little clearing and bang down he went,didnt move from that spot.At this point I cal my dad back nd tell him he almost cost me a deer.So he came and helped me dress and loadem up.

ps.turns out it was a small 5 point dont have a scale but estimated around 150 lbs dressed
Old November 18, 2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Sportdog

Way to go! Lots of good eating there. I see in your bio that you are from up there in rifle country. What rifle/cartridge combo did you use?
Old November 18, 2008, 11:17 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Congrats. It hasn't happened to me yet, but my hunting partner and I use two-ways and check in on each other throughout the day. I'm waiting for the time he calls me and a deer of a lifetime turns tail and runs.
Old November 18, 2008, 03:36 PM   #4
dragonfire

I used a weatherby vanguard in 30-06.
Old November 18, 2008, 04:28 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Ain't it amazing how *silent* them vibrating phones are until you are out in the woods with a critter present... "When a phone vibrates in the woods and no deer are present, does it make a sound?"
Brent