The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 4, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Dragline45

Bead Blasting Media

I am finally getting around to bead blasting my stainless Sig 232, but before I start I want to ask a couple questions.

What media do you all prefer?

I was thinking either 80 grit glass bead media, or the finer 100/170 grit. I know the 100/170 grit media will give more of a satin shine finish and the 80 grit will give a duller satin finish. But since this is a carry gun, will the 80 grit be that much less prone to surface scratches compared to the 100/170? If the difference is negligible I will probably go with the finer 100/170.

Also around what PSI do you guys blast at? I will experiment on scrap steel to find what gives me the look I want, but would like a starting point. I found people online saying to stick with 40, and others going all the way up to 85.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2
velocette

glass bead blasting

Glass bead blasting is a nice way to gain a smooth satin finish, removing little or no base metal. The glass beads actually peen the surface with may tiny little depressions shaped like the beads themselves.
Blasting pressure is kept low (20 ~ 50 psi) to avoid fracturing the little glass beads. Fractured beads from higher pressures result in sharp edged beads which will cut or remove material from the substrate.
If you are doing the bead blasting yourself, be certain to buy high quality beads that have NOT been used previously (no fractured beads) be certain that your blast nozzle is new or at least in very good condition and of the proper size for your compressors & regulators output, wear good eye protection and a dust mask. (even when using a booth) and start with your blast pressures fairly low.

Roger
Old April 10, 2013, 07:52 PM   #3
WallaceB

How large of a compressor do you need to get good results?