The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 12, 2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Blair_Canadian

Benelli R1 vs Browning Bar 300

Hi Everyone,

I've hunted moose and ducks all my life (the whole 35 years of it) and all I've ever used/owned was a Winchester 30-30 and a 12 Gauge. After moving to a new region of the country, I've decided to take up deer and bear hunting as well. I've recently found myself attracted to both the Browning Bar and Benelli R1 300 win mag.

What are the pros and cons of both rifles? Which is the most accurate? Is this too large of a caliber to hunt whitetail deer with? What are the maximum effective ranges?

Also feel free to text @ 613 328 3511
Old April 12, 2016, 10:14 PM   #2
jmr40

30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300 WM all shoot 30 caliber bullets. Most common are 150-180 gr. There is nothing any of them will kill that the others won't kill. The difference is in how fast they leave the muzzle. As long as they are still moving fast enough at impact for the bullets to expand they work. With that in mind all the 300 does is offer greater effective range over the others.

Your 30-30 is at its best at 100-150 yards although it can be used at greater ranges. A 308 is effective at ranges greater than most shooters have the skills to be shooting, 300-500 yards depending on the game. A 30-06 will add about another 100 yards to that and another 100 or so for the 300 WM.

Unless you are planning on shooting game at 600-700 yards a 308 or 30-06 will be every bit as effective with a lot less recoil and ammo costs. I'm not knocking a 300 magnum, I own one. But they are more gun than 95% of shooters need. Generally if someone is asking for advice about one, they probably can't take advantage of it.

Both the Benelli and Beretta are fine guns. I just prefer a bolt rifle for hunting. All semi's tend to be heavier and are somewhat limited as to the ammo you can use. They are designed to work within a fairly narrow range of pressures. Loads on the lighter side, or hotter loads may not work. A bolt gun will function with most anything, they are a lot less expensive, generally more accurate, have better triggers, are more reliable as well as much lighter for carrying around.

For example typical 30-06 factory loads are going to shoot a 150 gr bullet at around 2900 fps. Those will probably function just fine in any semi. But I hand load them as slow as 2500 fps and as fast as 3100 fps depending on the need. There is a good chance anything on both the slower or faster end may not cycle the action on a semi. But as long as you stay with factory loads or their equivalent both of those have a reputation for reliability. They just aren't as versatile.
Old April 12, 2016, 10:57 PM   #3
Blair_Canadian

Thank you very much, Jmr 40.
Old April 13, 2016, 07:38 AM   #4
Cobrachevelle

I have a bar 300 mag safari. I have no problems using it for whitetail. If I had to choose again I would still pick my 300mag. Yeah it's overkill for a deer but I like the fact of longer range and more ammo choices for bigger game. I just bought a 338 safari so the 300 is now my deer gun for now.

I will say this about recoil, my 300 mag safari kicks less than my dads 30-06 bar lightweight stalker. But my gun is also a tad heavier.

I love benelli too, I have the super black eagle 2. Amazing gun. Easy to break down and clean (just like the r1). You canT go wrong with either. The browning with be more accurate and will hold its value better. I am not a fan of the bar aluminum receivers as you can see in my comment in the bar help post. That is why I went with safaris they have steel receivers. I think the benelli will kick more than the browning (depending on which bar you get).

Good luck on your choice.
Old April 24, 2016, 10:56 AM   #5
jgcoastie

Browning BAR, hands down. I've owned and hunted with several through the years. My favorite 2 were .308 and .30/06, respectively.

I haven't had any ammo problems with any of them, but I also don't try to shoot junk ammo. Normally use Nosler or Federal ammo, some Barnes stuff.

They are a bit heavier than a bolt gun, and slightly more expensive, but not by much on either count, at least to me.

Go with the Browning, you won't regret it.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old April 24, 2016, 01:44 PM   #6
double bogey

I have one from my dad that is .243. My brother had his .270, that we never could get to shoot. There was a heat/pressure problem somewhere. The 2nd shot would shoot high, and all subsequent shots would climb. By the fifth shot you were off the paper. My .243 shoots well. I have seen a notice on some hornady ammo about using in semi auto guns.

I have a Bennelli M2 12 ga. shotgun that I will keep the rest of my life. Great shooter, light, does kick though. Need to hold it against your shoulder very tight, or it will bruise you.

Tags
300 , accuracy , benelli , browning