The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2009, 10:31 AM   #1
CrazyHorse89

My 1st POST, Can $$ be made reloading???

Hello all,

I am really a Noobie to this sport, just got started shooting recently and figured that I already spent more on my ammo than my gun, I now shoot a 9mm, and have a Kimber CPD II .45 in layaway, can't wait....Here is my question, me and about 5 other co-workers shoot, me beeing the newb of the group (they just buy their ammo) and me being the one with the least amount of disposable cash (wife, kids). I've been browsing Gun Broker, and notice guys selling reloads for more than you can buy ammo at Wal-Mart (this is where i buy mine, LOL). I figured if I find a good source brass, etc.. on cheap, that I could sell and shoot them myself to save, and earn a little extra $$ reloading, And my co-workers will be my 1st customers, and stated they would go in on a Reloading Machine.

Any Advise or Suggestions welcome

THanks
Old January 9, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
oneounceload

IIRC, manufacturing ammunition for commercial sales requires a federal permit. You would also need some hefty liability insurance in case one of the rounds goes KABOOM and injures someone.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Sevens

One of the BIG benefits to reloading ammo that we've found is that YOUR ammo is tailored specifically to YOUR firearm, and it tends to shoot a little better than factory ammo that is tailored to specifically work all the time in EVERY firearm.

Because of that, it's a lot of work to tailor ammo to a bunch of different guy's different firearms. It may work, but it may not work at it's best.

In any case, there are two much bigger hurdles.

1) There's a HEAP of liability involved if you start rolling ammo for other people. If it's your son or your Dad, that's one thing. If it's a co-worker or a friend, that's trouble waiting to happen. Lots of mistakes get made at the bench... small mistakes can make poor ammo that doesn't feed or eject, but big mistakes can stick bullets in barrels, blow cases, rip slides off pistols, blow fingers off hands, send shrapnel towards eyes, etc.

Obviously, as a reloader, you must know going in that there is a certain level of risk that you take. When you start giving or selling your reloads to other people, you open up your entire life/home/family to lawsuits and more. Is this simply a doomsday approach? Maybe... but that doesn't make it any less REAL. So consider that.

2) It's completely and entirely ILLEGAL to reload and then sell ammo without a Federal license. Could you get caught? Not likely... umm, unless you blow up a pistol and a friend goes the route of a lawyer... then, after losing your savings and your home, THEN you get charged criminally.

Yikes.

Your best option is likely this scenario: Buy your own equipment, buy large quantities of bullets, primers, powder and share the cost of components with your pals. (every single item is cheaper in bulk, and cheaper by a long shot, there's HUGE savings here) Then, charge your buddies a real cheap flat fee each time they come to your place and roll their own ammo on your equipment. Maybe make a monthly ammo night... like poker, without cards and without the alcohol.

That's legal and each guy is responsible for his own ammo, and his own body parts if someone drops the ball and screws things up.

Last edited by Sevens; January 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:45 AM   #4
jmorris

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faqindex.htm

Quote:
(H4) Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer? [Back]

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

Old January 9, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
CrazyHorse89

wow,

I think I found a new favorite Web site, 10min and already Responses

From all the $$ I spent on ammo, I could have gotten my Kimber out of layaway.

If could find a way to save money on the sport I'd be just as happy.

Thanks for the input,

Keep them comming
Old January 9, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Musketeer

You not only need to be concerned about the legal implications of selling your reloads (don't) but also of simply giving them to friends and such.

If an error on your part blows up a gun or injures someone you are facing severe liability issues. Just it being your ammo opens you up. I have been asked to make reloads for a couple people. Instead I have offered to show them how to do so themselves, along with their needing to read the appropriate handbooks on the subject, but declined to make it due to liability issues.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 9, 2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Sevens

Responses aren't always so quick! Timing is everything.

Reloading can certainly save money per loaded round-- but it's a long road to actually see savings. Not that it isn't worth it, understand. It's just that to really save money, you have to get your components cheap, and the best way to do that is to buy in bulk. Yeah, you can get a box of 100 primers... but if you buy 5,000 primers at once, from an online source at nearly HALF the price of a gun shop, you'll save money even with the shipping and hazmat fees. Bullets drop a little bit with each 500 more that you buy.

And that's after spending the hundreds to set up your tools and equipment. Progressive machines like those from Dillon are quite fast, but you are talking many hundreds of dollars to get them rolling.

Most folks that reload end up spending the same amount of money or more, we just produce MORE ammo for that money, and we shoot more.

Many (not all!) of us find that reloading is a GREAT hobby that is just as much or more fun than shooting and collecting our guns. That right there makes it worth it for many of us.

But if you think you can spend a hundred bucks and starting coming up with ammo for half of what it costs in the gun shop, you aren't seeing the entire picture. There's set up money, money in components, and the time to learn and the time to make the ammo. It's really a BIG ball of wax.

But it's a blast.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:07 AM   #8
Dustin0

If you asking about reloading for yourself? You can save a lot of cash I would never sell any of my reloads even to a friend for legal reasons. Now with that said you can save a lot of money on reloading. All you need is a press, dies, SCALE, and then your components. There are allot of online retailers that have good deals keep in mind to buy in bulk power and primers cost you allot to ship. You can get a good RCBS for less that 100 on eBay. Dies for less than 40, Scales are around 50 or so. BTW I have only been reloading for a few months so if forget anything let me know.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:11 AM   #9
CrazyHorse89

"You can get a good RCBS for less that 100 on eBay"

Sorry for the noobie question, but

What is a RCBS??
Old January 9, 2009, 11:22 AM   #10
dstyle47

rcbs is just a brand that makes lots of reloading equip
Old January 9, 2009, 11:35 AM   #11
oneounceload

RCBS is the green koolaid, Dillon is the blue, Lee and Hornady are the red....

All have their fans and detractors as to which is the best
Old January 9, 2009, 11:36 AM   #12
goose2w1

Due to legalities selling reloaded ammo is a no-no IMHO. Especially for someone new to it. It would be very easy to give someone a double charged round, or an undercharged round that gets stuck n the barrel. Now you will make money after a thousand reloads or soo due to the money savings. Here's an example. Right now on midway you can get 1000 rounds of cheap Wolf steel cased .223 for $254. I can reload this amount, tailored for my guns for $80! Thats $174 saved! It takes a little time to recoup the costs of equipment, but once you do, you will save thousands. Hope this helps.
Old January 9, 2009, 02:04 PM   #13
rwilson452

RCBS

A link to:
http://www.rcbs.com/
Old January 9, 2009, 02:45 PM   #14
jamaica

I would never sell reloads. Nor do I reload for anyone. I would not be opposed to friends coming over and using my stuff to relaod for themselves.

I have been reloading for many years. Did I ever save any money? I doubt it, but I sure shot a lot of rounds for the money.

Just for a matter of interest, I did some calculating a while back and found that if you go for an RCBS Rockchucker kit, for about $325 -- $350 with one set of dies. You can recoup that original investment with 1600 rounds of 45 ACP. Then you can start saving costs on ammo. I figure about 50% savings.

Of course when you have loaded 1600 rounds you will want a few more tools. Then you will add a couple more calibers, and need dies for them. Then you will decide that since bullets are so expensive, you can cast your own. More equipment coming. See how this works? If you find you need lots of ammo then you will want a progressive set up. Where does it all end? I can't tell you even after all these years.

Still shooting, still reloading, still casting , still buying tools, and still having fun with it.

Last edited by jamaica; January 9, 2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 9, 2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Hawg

Personally I won't shoot anyones reloads but my own. I won't reload for anybody else either.
Old January 9, 2009, 03:04 PM   #16
Musketeer

Quote:
Personally I won't shoot anyones reloads but my own. I won't reload for anybody else either.
Me too. Funny thing but I know for a fact I was more picky about who I reloaded for or used reloaded from (nobody that is) than I was regarding some of the ladies I kept company with!

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 9, 2009, 04:09 PM   #17
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

shot calculator

G'day. Hope this can help.

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/H...Calculator.htm
Old January 9, 2009, 07:25 PM   #18
cchardwick

Actually I do think there's money to be made on reloads if you do it right.

If you load regular 45 ACP, 9mm, or 40 S&W you probably won't make much money at all and for the amount of liability involved, probably not worth it unless you had a huge factory and pumped out tons of ammo.

BUT........

First get a federal license.

Then load only exotic loads beefed up to max or over max.

Here's an example, Grizzly Ammunition loads up 45-70 +P rounds and sells 20 rounds for $120!!

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/-str...ain/Detail.bok

Here's another one, 500 Wyoming Express 420 Grain PUNCH, 20 rounds, Price: $126.95

http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/-str...420/Detail.bok

And you could come up with a cool name and box design, like "Brontosaurus Dino Killer Ammo"!

Selling ammo for six bucks a round you could weigh the powder in triplicate on three different balances! (That would be a good advertising thing to put on your box).

If you really want to save $$ on your own personal reloads, get yourself some free lead wheel weights from a tire store and casting equipment. I can reload over 1000 rounds of 45 ACP for about $45.00!

Last edited by cchardwick; January 9, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old January 9, 2009, 10:37 PM   #19
rn22723

Can we say liability insurance? Can we say local use restrictions? EPA?
It is not something that you make money unless you have production capabailities ie Ammo Load or other high end machines.....
Old January 10, 2009, 04:13 AM   #20
the_right_reverend

don't reload for others, so I have to listen to all them spastic jerkums talk about how they can't hit squat with my ammo

not to mention the the liability
Old January 10, 2009, 05:27 AM   #21
butta9999

Reload for yourself to save a little and get the best performance from your firearm.

Factory ammunition works to specific measuremants and requirements to suit all modern firearms in that caliber. They have huge insurance premiums.

Strongly recomened you dont reload to sell. One mistake is all it needs.

When i reload with friends and family i only assist and that is with my equipment. I oversee some things but the reloading is done by the shooter.

Of course i help when needed.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:18 AM   #22
CrazyHorse89

$$$$$$$$$ for Ammo

I think after reading this, I will reload to save money for my own sport, I just can't help but notice when I goto gun shows and browse Gun Broker that typical 9mm and 45acp ammo sell for more that I can get it at wal-mart.

Now the question remains where can I shop cheaper than wal-mart???

Answer: Reloading

So many thanks, I really like the post about $129 for 20 round ammo, amazing

Heres Hows I see it,

I goto the the range about 1x week and shoot about 200 9mm rounds thats ONLY 30min worth , that was $40 ammo +$16 (Indoor Range fees) =$56 Yearly cost = $2,912 WOW!

if shooting 200 45acp rounds thats ($15 50round box) $60 +$16=$76 Yearly cost = $3,952 OUCH!

I don't know about you but thats a nice 30/06 or Kimber IMO,

Keep the thoughts comming, I'm taking mental notes

Later
Old January 10, 2009, 01:15 PM   #23
Lunicy

Don't sell your reloads. Don't give away your reloads. You can really save money reloading. Ex:

My .38 spc. target loads.
100 rounds = $2.00
Two dollars for 100 rounds.
Thats around $30 savings/ 100 rounds. A Lee kit cost $100 bucks. Another $60 for casting gear.
600 rounds pays for itself.

Now, have I ever saved money reloading. Hell no. I still spend as much if not more money shooting. But I used to shoot once, maybe twice a month. Now I shoot 3-4 times a week. And alot more.
Old January 11, 2009, 09:08 PM   #24
oneounceload

buy your stuff in bulk, learn to cast your own, and you'll save even more on each load. You won't save money, you'll just be able to shoot more. If you're shooting 200 in a half hour, try not shooting so fast......seriously, no need to overheat your gun and add more stress to it
Old January 11, 2009, 09:37 PM   #25
marshall623

I've loaded for co-workers ,but i'm cutting back to me and my dad.
1. Liability
2. Some have looked like your robbing them blind when you tell cost of components + 2 bucks for reloading piggy bank.

It's a lot fun but ,too many gold diggers out there to load for just anybody!