The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 28, 2014, 02:51 PM   #1
Prof Young

Gun Shops in Door County WI

Forum Readers:

So after finding the last Gun Shop in San Francisco, I've headed to Door County Wisconsin for vacation with Carol Ann.

Guess how many gun shops I can find here?

Near as I can tell there aren't any.

Hmmmmm . . . . .

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 28, 2014, 03:38 PM   #2
g.willikers

http://www.doorcountyrodandgunclub.com/about/

http://peninsulagunclub.com/

Both have retail stores.
Old July 28, 2014, 09:23 PM   #3
candr44

Did you look in the phone book? I find it hard to believe there isn't a single gun shop in such a rural county. Its not in Door County but Green Bay near by must have some gun shops.

Door County is a nice place to vacation in the summer. We use to take family camping trips there when I was a kid.
Old July 28, 2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Prof Young

Thanks and . . .

Gwiliker - Thanks. I hadn't thought to check out the gun clubs. The ones I'm familiar with in IL don't have stores associated with them.

AND

There is a store called Hide Side Cornerstore in Fish Creek. While they cater toward the wealthier tourists, they also have a very nice gun counter with ammo too. In fact, at the moment, they have a very nice M-1 30 cal carbine made by Postal Meter. It's nice enough that you'd want to buy and NOT shoot, just to keep it nice. Priced under a grand. I was tempted to take it home but not enough $$$ in the gun savings at the moment.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 29, 2014, 12:39 AM   #5
Brotherbadger

Depending on where you are staying in Door, i'd head over to Brown county(if you are north of Sturgeon Bay, it probably won't be worth the drive). Plenty of gun stores there. Otherwise, Jay's Guns is outside Luxemburg(i think is technically outside of door county.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old July 29, 2014, 03:15 AM   #6
ljnowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
Gwiliker - Thanks. I hadn't thought to check out the gun clubs. The ones I'm familiar with in IL don't have stores associated with them.

AND

There is a store called Hide Side Cornerstore in Fish Creek. While they cater toward the wealthier tourists, they also have a very nice gun counter with ammo too. In fact, at the moment, they have a very nice M-1 30 cal carbine made by Postal Meter. It's nice enough that you'd want to buy and NOT shoot, just to keep it nice. Priced under a grand. I was tempted to take it home but not enough $$$ in the gun savings at the moment.

Live well, be safe

Prof Young

If you don't mind me asking, where abouts in IL are from? If you don't want to answer in the general forum PM me. I live in the litchfield area, about 35 minutes south of Springfield.
Old July 29, 2014, 09:54 AM   #7
oldbadger

Gun shops in Door County

I happen to live about a five minute drive from the Door County Rod and gun club and am a member. I am not aware of any retail activity at the club site. There are likely private sales offered however. Review of the the Peninsula Gun club site seems to indicate that they sell accessories like T shirts but no guns are listed except for, again, private sales by members.
I have not visited Hide Side for a while, and in the past their inventory has been heavy on high end clothing and lovely unique decorative items. I just spoke on the phone with the owner<http://hideside.com/> and he assures me that the store has an FFL and that they have a large inventory of guns, some custom, his comment " not just your average gun store."
So there seems to be at least one gun store in Door County.
For the mods, if this post violates any rules, just delete it, no worries.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:00 AM   #8
oldbadger

PM sent

Prof Young,
PM sent.
Old July 29, 2014, 10:35 AM   #9
g.willikers

oldbadger,
Well, they are guilty of false advertising, then.

From the Door County Rod and Gun web site, it sez:
http://www.doorcountyrodandgunclub.c...ies/clubhouse/
At the present time the DCR&G has a clubhouse featuring an office/store that sells shooting and reloading supplies, a bar and lounge area, small food serving area, restrooms and two small storage areas.

And from the Peninsula club:
http://peninsulagunclub.com/shooting-supplies-apparel/
We are a one stop shop for all things shooting. We offer shells, shooting glasses & hearing protection, and targets.

Maybe they're old web sites.
I haven't been up there in many years and was more interested in diving the old wrecks than shooting, at the time.
Sorry if I mislead anyone.
(Not really, it's a privilege of old guys to do that).

Last edited by g.willikers; July 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM.