The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Headgear

Reloads dangerous to shoot?

Hi Guys!

I have about ten reloads that don't fit in my case guage. They are 9mm rem casings which I loaded on a Dillon 650 w/dillon dies, and ten out of a hundred are bad.

I turned them over and inserted them backwards into the guage to see if an extracter burr was the problem, but it was'nt. Then I mic'ed them, and at the point just below where the resizing die stops, they are about .003 larger/fatter than the others.

These were once fired casings that I bought and it is the first time I've loaded them. I figure that they were shot in a gun with an oversized chamber and expanded to it, and now are to large.

I'm using a new Glock 26. I've loaded and shot 500+/_ rounds w/ win head stamps without an issue.

Here's the question. Is it safe to shoot these ten fat rounds? I put them in my gun and it closes but I'm a little concerned that the bolt might not lockup completely and, KABOOM!

I don't have a bullet puller yet, but I think that it would be the safest way to go. I don't think that the casings are going to be usefull again anyway even if I did shoot them through my gun. What do you think?

FYI, I am loading 115g, fmj, Berry's plated bullets w/4.3g bullseye and Federal primers.
Old January 11, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Sevens

IMO, they don't make a modern production handgun with a more generous chamber than a Glock. I know mine is.

If it were me and those 10 rounds were mine, I'd mark them boldly with a sharpie, then shoot them. They should be safe.

Then I'd resize them just like all the others and load 'em again and check 'em again and see if they mic out better after forming to your chamber and then being resized.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Hook686

Can a Glock fire without the bolt being locked ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 12, 2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Sport45

Field strip the gun and use the chamber as a gauge. If they drop in I'd shoot 'em.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Rottweiler

Put them in a coffee can labeled " won't chamber" until you get a bullet puller. Then take them apart and recover the components
Old January 12, 2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Alleykat

Unless you're planning on firing the out-of-spec rounds from a chamber gage, then they'll work just fine, as long as they drop into your Glock's chamber and don't cause a problem with the pistol's going into battery.

I load for my Glocks on a Dillon 650, but I wouldn't think of using Dillon dies. Lee dies size farther down the case. I also finish up with a Lee FCD on the last station. I NEVER have failures with my G26 and G17 shooting my reloads. FWIW, I also use small rifle primers for 9mm reloading, but that's just a convenience thing.