The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 31, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1
JWT

Latest addition

A few weeks ago I ran across an article and review on the Winchester 1885 Low wall rifle in .17HMR. I really liked the looks of the gun, so found one on Gunbroker and ended up buying it. Took it to the range today and was very pleased with the way it shoots. It is a bit on the heavy side, but very well balanced and the weight seems to steady it for offhand shooting. Went with the .17 due to ammo availability and costs.

First rifle I've had that people stopped to admire and commented on how good it looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (12.0 KB, 104 views)
Old July 31, 2014, 07:36 PM   #2
lamarw

Certainly can understand why people stopped to take a peek at it. Nice looking rifle. I have a Marlin Model 917V which is so much fun to shoot. It has a bull barrel and is extremely accurate.

The interesting story behind it is I had a lesser quality .17HMR which I had purchased used from a police trade-in dealer. I had taken it, bought a scope, sling and sighted it in using some ammo. A few months after I had put it away in my gun case, the seller contacted me. The police department who traded it to the seller had to have it back. I do not know whether it was for a case or to return it to a previous owner. Anyway, they let me select a new rifle of my choice within reason. I was happy. I was also able to keep the sling and scope to put on the Marlin.

To add to your statement about ammunition. Around here you can still find.17HMR and most likely less expensive than .22 LR in these times.

Enjoy~
Old August 3, 2014, 04:37 PM   #3
uradaisyifudo

Nice rifle JWT, enjoy.
Old August 5, 2014, 08:38 AM   #4
AllenJ

Nice looking rifle, I've always admired that type of rifle. I've been close a few times on getting one but it never seemed to work out for me. Congrats on your purchase.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

Very nice. I think if I shelled out for one, I'd have to at least *try* the .17 WSM instead of the Hummer.
Old August 7, 2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That is a fine looking weapon and would be real fun in 17HMR. Finally a decent platform for the 17WSM too but at $1500 MSRP. Ouch.
Old August 7, 2014, 05:06 PM   #7
2damnold4this

A fine looking rifle.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:45 PM   #8
mattL46

I've got a custom low wall in 22K Hornet. Probably (arguably) my favorite rifle. Its an oldie....