The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2001, 12:55 AM   #1
Coolray

George,
How hard is it to port the barrel on my Taurus 431 SS 3" .44 Spl? The factory ports several revolvers.

Would I see any real benefits or would I lose because of it?

Should it be done at all. I like to shoot at 1000-1100 fps and wondered if porting would help on getting back on target faster.

Old February 1, 2001, 08:38 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Coolray, it isn't difficult to do but you really need access to a milling machine or mill/drill. If you can locate the holes precisely enough it could be done in a drill press. Porting should get you back on target more quickly. You may lose a touch of velocity but I wouldn't think it would be very much. In low light or darkness the flash from the porting can cause you to lose your night vision. There's a pretty good article on this in an issue of American Gunsmith. I don't recall what month but I believe it was a 99 issue. George
Old February 1, 2001, 09:25 AM   #3
Coolray

Thanks George,
I was not thinking about doing it myself. IF is A big word, I'm handy I have a drill press,I can do lots of things, But I would be very upset if I screwed up my favorite revolver. I know my limits,I'm an Electronic Technician not a gun smith. I was going to look locally or even send it to you. would you suggest 6 holes? 3 on each side of the front sight? What would you charge?

Thanks
Old February 1, 2001, 01:11 PM   #4
PKN

It's not a REAL good idea to drill ports....

Look at the last item you drilled with something. Odds are there's a lip on the side opposite the one you started drilling from. Now, are you gonna drill from inside the barrel? Otherwise the same lips gonna be in the barrel. Most porting is done on an EDM machine I belive.