The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 14, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1
duster_44

Missouri Land owner laws and consequences

I have a friend that recently used land owner tags and told the game wardon that he/she lived with his/her father in law whom owned the land, the wardon did not do anything but was suspicious and said he was going to check out their story. My question is what can the wardon do if they find out my friend was lying?
Old November 14, 2011, 08:01 PM   #2
therealdeal

hopefully someone has more concrete info

I'm guessing this was you? I am not sure(I don't know) if he can do anything after-the-fact if it hasn't been recorded.

If he can and/or if it came up on another incident, he could fine you and confiscate a bunch of stuff. They can make your life miserable if they want: take fishing gear, weapons, etc.

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 14, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Making a false statement to an LEO is a crime in and of itself. So on top of being potentially susceptible for hunting without a license, your friend is now also facing possible arrest for making a false statement. At a guess, I would conjecture that if the game warden gets a burr under his saddle he could also toss in obstructing justice, hampering an investigation, interfering with an officer, and probably a half dozen or so other "add-on" type charges that are there mostly for people just like your friend.

Your friend isn't very intelligent, is he? IMHO it takes a special kind of genius to convert a single potential offense into multiple offenses.
Old November 14, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Baba Louie

If MDC Officers find your friend poaching, they can ask 35 other states participating in the the Interstate Wildlife Violators Compact to deny friend the ability to ever hunt or fish (maybe trap too, dunno) there legally. Which would sucketh large.

Toast. Basically.

It is sooooooo not worth lying to an officer of the law.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 14, 2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Technosavant

MDC agents are licensed peace officers. Basically, your buddy broke the law and lied to a cop, and now you posted that onto the internet for anybody to read. To give a hint as to what could happen with this, if your county would become known (say, if this userid has been used anywhere on the internet where a location might be attached), the particular conservation agent(s) involved could realize there's a loose thread they could work. Once they start pulling, it all comes apart.

Poaching is a crime.Yes, your buddy can get into a fair amount of trouble for this.
Old November 14, 2011, 11:12 PM   #6
kilimanjaro

An LEO I know is replete with tales of folks who were going to be given a warning or a minor infraction, until they started to lie. When you're caught, be a man and admit it, honesty goes a long ways.
Old November 15, 2011, 09:45 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Quote:
I have a friend that recently used land owner tags and told the game wardon that he/she lived with his/her father in law whom owned the land, the wardon did not do anything but was suspicious and said he was going to check out their story. My question is what can the wardon do if they find out my friend was lying?
Your friend faces anything from a simple citation to loss of his hunting gear and privileges. The harder the conservation officer has to work this case, the higher the cost will be. To save $17.00 for an any deer tag, or $7.00 for an anterless deer tag, your friend is risking the loss of his hunting privileges for a few years, if not a life time.

He should man up and talk with the conservation officer and take his lumps. Most of the MDC Officers I have met and dealt with are very understanding and if your buddy can explain why he did what he did, he would probably get away with a warning.

I rarely hunt anymore and can no longer check a trapline. Every year I still purchase my trappers permit and buy my hunting/fishing license and two deer tags. I believe in supporting the Missouri Department of Conservation. For $60.00 a year (Hunting/fishing license, two deer tags and a trappers permit), I am trying to ensure our youth can continue to enjoy the outdoors. Your friend thinks he is above the law, or can smartly sneak around it. I really do hope that he get fined and loses not only his hunting gear but also his privilege to take game.
Old November 15, 2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Baba Louie

Uncle Buck makes an excellent point or two.
Tell friend to man up. Seriously. Very seriously.

Speaking with a friend in the office here, if caught poaching (or the equivalent) our State wildlife agents can and will contact agency in whichever state violator resides, who can then confiscate all sorts of hunting/fishing equipment (all your guns? yeap), maybe even an RV if they can show proof it was used (tire tracks, reports by other hunters etc) and make life hell.

Seriously, suggest friend call MDC agent and take lumps accordingly.

Ethics.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 15, 2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Patriot86

After watching wild justice it is amazing the enhanced police powers game wardens have. Best to be honest or they can and will make your life a living hell.
Old November 15, 2011, 11:35 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

As an aside, if you work for a state or federal land management agency, and get caught poaching or even fishing without a license, you are out of a job. If you want to work for one of those agencies, don't have it on your record. You can really louse up your future if you want to.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:34 AM   #11
Dr. Strangelove

Hunt and fish legally or don't do it at all, I was raised that way.

I don't have any sympathy for those caught violating the wildlife laws, particularly someone just trying to get around buying a license.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Dr. Strangelove

Hunt and fish legally or don't do it at all, that's the way I was raised.

I don't have any sympathy for those caught violating the wildlife laws, particularly someone just trying to get around buying a license.
Old November 16, 2011, 12:54 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I do not support the feller snitchin' himself out...
If that is what was meant by "man up"...

But if it was meant literally to be "Grow Up" than I agree...

But another charge to possibly face is "Interfering with an investigation" for giving false info.

Brent
Old November 16, 2011, 11:16 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdogs
I do not support the feller snitchin' himself out...
If that is what was meant by "man up"...

But if it was meant literally to be "Grow Up" than I agree...
"Snitchin' " is slang for "reporting." That doesn't apply here, as the friend has already been caught in the act and is (apparently) being investigated. Being man enough to admit to the act when caught in the act is (at least IMHO) not at all the same thing with getting away with something and then after the fact, wandering into a ranger office and "snitchin' " on yourself.
Old November 16, 2011, 05:13 PM   #15
youngunz4life

I say let it go and LEARN from mistake.

If you think it is more of an issue(only you know), come clean and apologize. Just explain you made a mistake and haven't been able to get it off your mind plus knew it was wrong and wanted to man up
Old November 16, 2011, 05:17 PM   #16
oneounceload

MY stance on poaching has been stated - if it is true, I hope they string the offender from the tallest tree and confiscate every asset he has

There is absolutely NO excuse for poaching - NONE
Old November 16, 2011, 05:25 PM   #17
ClayInTx

One thing to do RIGHT NOW is move it with father in law and stay there for at least ninety days.

And don’t pull anything stupid again.
Old November 16, 2011, 05:46 PM   #18
markj

In all reality deer should be treated like mice. Kill em all and often before they take over the entire countryside. We hit 5 so far and at 250 deductable it is costing a bit. Garden was eaten to the ground well before the tomatoes were hailed upon and turned into soup....

But until it is so best follow all applicable laws or face a punishment.

Land owner tags I thought were only for the land owner not his kids or in laws but I may be wrong there, the actual landowner gets them here but Iam not up on other states laws.