The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Keep or toss the old tumbler?
Keep the old tumbler 30 96.77%
Toss that old thing 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20, 2015, 10:00 AM   #1
rtpzwms

Keep or toss

I've been reloading for a while now (counting in decades). I've had a great tumbler for the whole time (yes the same one). I recently tried an ultra sonic cleaner and it did fine with small # of pistol cases but did only a fair job with 60 30-30 rifle cases. I took the ultra sonic cleaner back.

Now I'm about to order a stainless steel tumbler and give it a try. I expect that it will work fine. With that expectation and if the results match the expectation. Would you keep or toss the old tumbler? In this case tossing would most likely mean that one of my son's would get it.
Old June 20, 2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Darren007

If it ain't broken, why fix it?
Old June 20, 2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Sharkbite

I use both SS pins in a rotary tumbler and a vibratory with media.

I use the SS one to clean my deprimed cases. Pistol cases go straight to the Dillion at that point

Rifle cases are lubed, run thru the sizing die and then into the vibe w/media to clean off the lube.

Might be a little anal for some but i like my reloaded ammo to look GOOD
Old June 20, 2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Clark

I have (3) vibratory and (1) ultra sonic that never got used on cases again after I got the Tumblers tumbler B and stainless steel pins in February 2010.

I have since used the ultrasonic to clean bronze brushes that have Copper solvent in them.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 20, 2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Armed_Chicagoan

Yeah, you can use the sonic cleaners for other stuff besides gun parts.

Hell I've used my tumbler to shine up old plumbing fixtures.
Old June 20, 2015, 12:48 PM   #6
stubbicatt

You might find a use for the old dry media tumbler yet.
Old June 20, 2015, 02:00 PM   #7
mikld

Personally, I don't care for SS pins/wet tumbling. a) have to mix up a "formula". b) have to rinse in fresh water, c) have to dry brass, d) brass gets too clean and soon tarnishes. With my plain old dry media tumbler I use, 95% of the time, plain old corn cob media with 1 tablespoon of auto polish (Lyman 1200 tumbler) toss 'em in, take 'em out...

I use my wobbler/tumblers for things other than brass. Got some rusty hand tools? Tumble them. Powder coating some bullets? Tumbling is one method. I have even tumble lubed with a rotary tumbler (bullets I a container in the drum). I don't think I'd toss one if I went to wet tumbling...
Old June 20, 2015, 08:35 PM   #8
Jim243

I only use my ultra-sonic for cleaning dies and gun parts. Cases go into a vibrator tumbler or a Harbor Freight rotary tumbler.

And I too clean my cases after resizing to get the lube off.

Jim
Old June 20, 2015, 11:25 PM   #9
noylj

Case Cleaning
Without a doubt the least important and most talked about part of reloading.
1) All that is needed is to wipe off the outside of the case with a rag, unless shooting black powder. All you need to do is remove any dirt/grit from the case exterior so the sizing die isn't damaged.
2) 30 minutes with 20/40 corn will clean and polish the case exterior and remove some of the interior soot. If you deprime first, you will remove the residual white powder sometimes left in the primer pocket. You can get a nice vibratory cleaner for about $86 and a media separator for about $37.
For very dirty cases with dried mud or whatever, ground nut hulls work well--but they also produce a lot of dust that can pack inside a case and take a lot of elbow grease to remove. Some folks like to add an abrasive to polish the brass (jeweler's rouge or Nu-Finish) and some like to add mineral spirits and paper towel/used softener sheets to the media to remove some of the powder. Corn doesn't produce much powder.
3) 20-30 minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner, using hot water/Dawn/citric acid will completely remove the soot and give the brass a slight polish. You will need to rinse the cases and let air dry. Some go as far as to dry the cases and then tumble them for more polish.
4) 6-8 hours with a rotary tumbler (some say 2 hours), stainless steel pins, dawn, and citric acid will completely clean and polish the cases. The pins have to be separated from the cases and the cases need to be rinsed and air-dried. It is best to pour off as much of the dirty solution as possible and add enough water and pour off to get the solution clear. Then you need to have a media separator (my RCBS works perfect) with a tub/bucket full of water to get the pins to fall out from the cases.
For all wet "tumbling," I simply air dry the case over night. I see no need to neutralize the citric acid, as the rinse cycle(s) take care of that.
Everything beyond step #1 is done for the reloader's pleasure and not for any need. As a hobbyist, I like to play, but I sure don't see any of these as needed.
I prefer #2, as #1 hurts my arthritis and the rest take more time/money--though I have the equipment for all four.
If you simply have to have really shiny brass, forget the US system and go with the stainless pins--but be ready for a LOT longer time for cleaning and a lot more water usage.
For all methods, I prefer to decap first. The use of 20/40 grit keeps any media from packing in the flash hole or primer pocket.
Old June 21, 2015, 12:47 PM   #10
mikld

Quote:
Case Cleaning
Without a doubt the least important and most talked about part of reloading.
Thanks noylj. I got tired of saying the same thing and seeing immediately following posts tout this tumbler or that tumbler with this formula of media plus additives or that "special" mixture recommended to a new reloader. And if you admit you don't process your brass for hours with a "special" formula and get mirror finish brass, you're regarded as a dinosaur, that never cleans anything. Some bring up "pride of workmanship", but I prefer to be proud of how well my handloads preform (certainly not "all show, no go"). I am the only one to see/shoot my ammo, and I don't have to impress anyone at the range. I reloaded for 12 years before I got into tumbling and just wiped each case with a mineral spirits dampened rag, and no, no scratched/ruined dies, and yes, I could spot any defects in the case.

A favorite example/story; I used to hang out at a police range and watch. I remember a couple old fellers that were shooting a lot. Each were shooting 1911s and running several magazines through their guns before changing targets. They brought back targets with the center shot out, about 3"-4" (at 50') for mebbe 50 shots. I got closer and noticed they were shooting brown ammo! They were reloaders and no one had told them they "needed" bright shiny brass!

I'm not anti-tumbling as I do tumble some of my brass and have a rotary with 3 drums, and a Lyman wobbler, but I won't harp on the "necessity" of tumbling brass to a new reloader either. BTW, I do polish some of my brass, but there's a definite purpose in that; shiny 45 ACP and 30-06 brass is much easier to find in the dirt/rocks/trash where I shoot...

Last edited by mikld; June 21, 2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old June 21, 2015, 11:06 PM   #11
Vance

Quote:
BTW, I do polish some of my brass, but there's a definite purpose in that; shiny 45 ACP and 30-06 brass is much easier to find in the dirt/rocks/trash where I shoot.
That is the main reason to tumble your brass until it shines. So it is easier to find. It's just a bonus that it is clean and shiny. I have a friend that just washes his brass in soap and water and then let's it dry.
Old June 21, 2015, 11:17 PM   #12
joneb

Quote:
If it ain't broken, why fix it?
Or fix it till it is
Old June 22, 2015, 05:20 AM   #13
lamarw

What brand and size ultrasonic did you try? I have an L&R three quart that works great on both larger quantities of any kind of brass.

Your failure or disappoint with ultrasonic is more due to the quality and capacity of the one you tried and not the technology. Also, what was the cleaning solution you used in the ultrasonic
Old June 22, 2015, 06:31 AM   #14
cecILL

Let the kid store it for you.
Old June 22, 2015, 01:11 PM   #15
Single-Sixer

Why toss a perfectly good piece of equipment? As soon as you do, you'll either need it or regret it or both!
Old June 23, 2015, 01:49 AM   #16
Brotherbadger

Keep it. You never know when you might need it.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "