The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 30, 2005, 06:49 PM   #51
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Shootinstudent

Oh that it were that simple, to predict where the "fields o' plenty" are, that is. Remember that these guys are trying to place them where they won't be found, so you can play the odds that it'll be someplace remote. The DEA fly guys tell me that marijuana plants are easily spotted from the air and they do occasional fly-overs of the rural areas around here. Sometimes the growers will place their plants randomly interspersed with weeds along a creek bank, etc., to make them more difficult to spot. The only rule of thumb I can give you is that the growers usually booby trap the perimeters of their plots, so if you stumble on a field of it, act like you're in a mine field ('cause maybe you are), turn about and retrace your exact steps out of there examining the ground of each step before you put your foot down, and don't touch anything. I attended an explosives and booby trap seminar a few years ago, and they demonstrated one really nasty device that was favored by Calif. growers in the late 70's & 80's. It consisted of a piece of 2x4 with an "L" bracket screwed to it. A couple of hose clamps held a 6" piece of 3/4" diameter steel pipe to the other leg of the bracket. On the other side of the 2x4 was a Victor's rat trap. A hole was drilled through the 2x4 directly under where the killing bar would strike, and out the other side dead center in the pipe. The pipe is loaded with a 12 ga. shell and a 10 penny nail is placed in the hole for a firing pin. Some fine monofiliment fishing line is tied to the trap's trigger and strung across a path. Trip the line and the trap goes off driving the nail into the shotgun shell's primer, and... boom! There were lots of other ingenius devices there too used to maime and kill. After that seminar, I walked in the woods feeling like I was on point in Viet Nam. Not cool!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old April 30, 2005, 07:17 PM   #52
eka

"I attended an explosives and booby trap seminar a few years ago, and they demonstrated one really nasty device that was favored by Calif. growers in the late 70's & 80's. "

Maybe it's just me, but ideas, concepts, and intelligence gathered and presented at LE training seminars is probably not appropriate for internet forums. I'm just surmising this info. came from LE training. Anyway, sounds like a great way to give somebody a stupid idea.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old April 30, 2005, 09:12 PM   #53
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Eka

That would be true... IF info on this and other nasty surprises weren't readily available on the Internet. (do a search on booby traps and see what I mean). Hell, you can get the plans to build a nuclear bomb if you want them! But trust me; there are other little secrets I have no plans on divulging .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 1, 2005, 03:59 AM   #54
3 weelin geezer

Why waste perfectly good ammo on trespassers? What are they gonna do to me? Steal my desert? If someone wants a piece of my land, by all means take it as long as it contains some cactus or a nest of ants or infernal grass that can't be killed or whatever else irritates me and gets in the way of my trike riding pleasure. If someone takes an inch off the top there is still what, 20 miles of solid rock before it hits magma. So, an inch is not all that. Besides, the wind puts it back real soon.
Old May 1, 2005, 08:45 AM   #55
Trainman

A lot of good questions to be prepared to answer when it comes to the use of deadly force. I remember a scene from the Clint Eastwood movie "The Unforgiven":

Bill Munny: Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Bill Munny: We all got it comin', kid.
Old May 1, 2005, 09:01 AM   #56
Terry Twit

That shell/rattrap stuff is old news...we were doing that in junior high school.
Old May 1, 2005, 09:03 AM   #57
eka

Maybe like I say, it is just me and not anything wrong with it, but as far as I am concerned I would just as soon let them get the info. somewhere else. I know it's out there; I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting it out there.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old May 1, 2005, 11:33 AM   #58
k_dawg

"Dying ain't much of a liv'in, kid."
Old May 1, 2005, 12:06 PM   #59
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Terry

Quote:
That shell/rattrap stuff is old news...we were doing that in junior high school.
Yes it is, or I wouldn't be posting it. Junior High School? Uh... Just what, exactly, were you doing with it?

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 1, 2005, 12:09 PM   #60
Terry Twit

Making booby traps, of course. I grew up with Gung-Ho Magazine, the old SWAT, Soldier of Fiction, Mack Bolan, Hawker, Remo Williams, and Dan Track!
Old May 1, 2005, 12:22 PM   #61
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Just havin' a little fun with ya Terry! I experimented with all kinds of crazy things as a kid. A bunch of us were into making home made "war" movies with a super 8 movie camera (remember those?). We simulated explosions by digging a narrow hole in the ground and placing an M-80 under a little juice can of gasoline. Can't believe I lived to adulthood . Never did win an Emmy, though. (Or an award for good common sense)

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 1, 2005, 12:35 PM   #62
Terry Twit

God, I thought I was the only one who did that! I had a wind up Super 8 that my grandpa gave me...there are probably still some movies around here somewhere...