The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 5, 2001, 06:50 PM   #1
uzi4me

What States are full auto legal states?

Whoever is reading this.. if you know of any state where you can legally own a full auto weapon, registered or not... please list below .. i need to know where the closest full auto legal state is .. so i can move there .. i'm getting real sick of NY gun laws lately .. thanks in advance..
Old October 5, 2001, 07:51 PM   #2
bastiat

This might give you an answer faster: http://www.nra-ila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=state
Old October 6, 2001, 12:10 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

Looking at the NRA site I'd say there might be an island of sanity to the northeast, ie Vermont, NH and Maine.

I wonder how it is that corporations are able to skirt the NY law and have MGs for their security forces?
Old October 6, 2001, 07:15 PM   #4
cmax2000

georgia

georgia is a good state that knows that only legal people will have guns...it is our right....guns are not the problem...some people are. you may own guns here. I WOULD RUN FROM A STATE THAT HAD A CLINTON AS A SENTOR (or anything else)!!!
Old November 27, 2001, 09:52 AM   #5
uzi4me

i was born and bred here .. its tough to pack up and leave your family and a 25 dollar an hour job just to go to a full auto state.. .or a firearms 'neutral' state .. trust me .. if i ever come across any large sum of money that allows me to break free from my financial obligations .. im movin .. without a second thought .. vermont is a beautiful state, and the gun laws are some of the most sensable of all firearms neutral states ... ahh.. to bad money is so important in life ...
Old November 27, 2001, 04:46 PM   #6
AugustWest

Northern New England may be an island of sanity, but down here...

Properly registered, full-auto only guns are allowed. But if they have selective fire capabilities (Full and Burst and/or Semi) they're "assault weapons," and therefore illegal.
Old November 28, 2001, 09:07 AM   #7
USMCsilver

The law passed in SC on Sept. 1st of this year. We are full auto now!
Old November 29, 2001, 10:13 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
vermont is a beautiful state, and the gun laws are some of the most sensable of all firearms neutral states .
In the FFL packet is a booklet with the gun laws of all 50 states.

Those of IL, CA, NJ, MA and NY are chapters unto themselves.

Tennessee's take up several pages, as do those of Texas.

Even Georgia's and Arizona's are 2 or 3 pages long.

Vermont's is not quite one page.

Why does it have to be so cold up there?
Old November 29, 2001, 12:18 PM   #9
swampgator

Tamara,

You can't get any warmer than Florida. 77 right now. Probably be able to go swimming on Christmas!
Old November 29, 2001, 12:46 PM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, but FL doesn't have permit-free CCW and VT does. The only state left that treats you like an adult with respect to guns and it's a friggin' icebox for half of the year...
Old November 30, 2001, 05:03 AM   #11
swampgator

Well.....

At least I don't have to purchase winter clothing!
Old December 1, 2001, 06:47 AM   #12
mussi

One can't have everything.

Either you get liberal gun laws, or you don't. They don't come cheap, however. I'd love Vermont since I like skiing.
Old December 1, 2001, 05:12 PM   #13
RAThomas

The state of Kansas does not allow the private ownership of fully auto weapons. The last I heard there are seven states that do not allow us to own them, KS being one. I understand or have been told you may make an application for a variant to the state attorney general and might get to own one. A close friend of mine that I have know for a long time says that he knows someone that has done this.

If you are passing through the state and fill out all of the paper work as you should then you may be in the state for eight hours with the fully auto weapon. We are short North & South, but long East & West. Just hope someone does not have to stay overnight. The eight hour part was told to me by a person from out of state that has full autos and I have to go with their knowledge of the subject.
Old December 2, 2001, 06:56 PM   #14
UltimaThule

Quote:
and it's a friggin' icebox for half of the year...
You think that's cold? I've been in Vermont and it looked like a very nice place. The more I hear about the laws there, the nicer it seems. And it's 15 or so degrees of latitude to the south of here. I just saw that the lowest temperature registered in Norway in November was -32C, that's -26F. Not that I'm complaining, I don't expect temperatures like that in my part of the country for at least another couple of weeks

If there is a point to this post, I guess it is that we have some of the best gun-laws in Europe, along with Switzerland and Finland. More snow - better laws? Doesn't Alaska have a decent climate (for guns, that is)?
Old December 3, 2001, 09:48 AM   #15
uzi4me

QUESTION .. i havent done a search yet because of the search being disabled, but FOR ALL HERE WHO ARE IN EUROPE OR OUTSIDE OF THE US ...
how are your gun laws ?...
hey ultimathule, your from norway ..
can you give a brief detailed example of your country's gun laws ?.. also maybe some other countrys gun laws you are very familiar with ?.. anyone else ?..
Old December 3, 2001, 11:56 PM   #16
Jonesy9

VT, NH and ME are good as stated. Mass. totally depends on your local police chiefs discretion. Whereas anyone living near a city will have trouble getting a CCW, the guys out in the sticks can get class 3's easily. It all depends on the town.
Old December 6, 2001, 05:59 PM   #17
brandon_h3

Hot?

You Florida folk call anything above 70 hot! LOL It was 80 today in south Louisiana, and that's a nice muggy 80, feels like September not December!
Old December 7, 2001, 02:51 AM   #18
swampgator

Quote:
You Florida folk call anything above 70 hot! LOL It was 80 today in south Louisiana, and that's a nice muggy 80, feels like September not December!
Not saying we are the hottest, just making the statement that I don't own much winter clothing! It was high 70s/low 80s today. Probably will have the a/c on during christmas.
Old December 7, 2001, 03:10 AM   #19
brandon_h3

I agree......

Enjoy the warm weather. It won't last long! It'll get colder than an anti's statements about the 2nd amendment!

Old December 7, 2001, 10:48 AM   #20
Robert J McElwain

<The state of Kansas does not allow the private ownership of fully auto weapons. The last I heard there are seven states that do not allow us to own them, KS being one. I understand or have been told you may make an application for a variant to the state attorney general and might get to own one. A close friend of mine that I have know for a long time says that he knows someone that has done this. >

Hell! Here in Kansas, we don't even have CCW. We're one of the few left. OTOH, I'm a rangemaster at one of the local clubs, and I've seen a few guns that are normally full auto that have been reworked to semi. They look like fun guns either way. One guy had a Mac 10 and what looked like an Uzi the other day, both firing semi auto.

Bob

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." ~Thomas Jefferson
Old December 10, 2001, 08:19 AM   #21
10 X

Montana is a good state for ownership. We have a good select fire clause.

"A machine gun is defined as a weapon of any description by whatever name known, loaded or unloaded, from which more than six shots or bullets may be rapidly, automatically, or semiautomatically discharged from a magazine by a single function of the firing device."

I love it here!

AK-47, SKS

"Double tap em till their down!

"God Bless America!"
Old December 17, 2001, 10:52 PM   #22
johelin

Quote:
If there is a point to this post, I guess it is that we have some of the best gun-laws in Europe, along with Switzerland and Finland. More snow - better laws? Doesn't Alaska have a decent climate (for guns, that is)?
Finland - some of the best gunlaws ? This may be true, but only for the experienced. Starting isn't easy.

There are over 2 million private guns for the population of 5 million. There are about 400000 persons who own guns.

Permit to buy must be asked for each gun separately. Purchase of a gun part (the one holding the pressure) must be notified.
One has to prove the need for the gun. Usually it is hunting or shooting, in rare cases job or collecting. Full-auto guns are for collectors only.

A self-defense isn't a legitimate reason, as usual in Europe, to get a firearm. One may apply for a permit to carry tear gas/OC if necessary for self-defense. In practice, armed self-defense will cause some jail time (1-3 years) and lose of all gun permits. It's cheaper to let someone mug or rob you.

Pistols or revolvers that fit in the box of 130mmX180 mm (140X190 for revolvers) are considered as pocket guns and therefore possible to get only for job or collecting.

Positive thing is that guns are not (supposed to be) treated by their looks. No restrictions on airguns, magazine sizes, suppressors, bayonets, stocks (except legal length), forward handles or countries of origin.

Some time ago, I read from steps required to get a class 3 license. Somehow it didn't feel very difficult.

For every permit you have to through the following

- get the permit form from the police (possible through the net too)
- fill it and get the papers to proof the need
- take these to the police, pay 160 FIM (~ 25USD)
- wait from 1 day to 2 weeks
- get the permit to buy (3 parts), valid for 6 months
- buy the gun (1 part for the seller to send to the police, 2 for you)
- go to the police station to show your gun, they check the type and serial number (1 part for police, 1 for you as temporary license)
- wait 4 weeks
- go and get your final plastic permit, same size as a credit card

In Sweden laws are more or less similar. I remember that there a hunter could get 6 guns with his first permit. After six it was more difficult.

I could use some more freedom...
Old December 18, 2001, 09:52 PM   #23
flusher

Would you believe connecticut is Full auto only
Old December 18, 2001, 11:00 PM   #24
johelin

You mean select-fire is not allowed. Why ?

Is there some reason for it ? Or just because the state says it's so.

I could live with full-auto only.
Old December 20, 2001, 07:23 AM   #25
Hkmp5sd

Tamara,

Florida may not have a FREE CCW, but for less than $100 for a 5 year license, I'll waste the money and stay SNOW FREE.

P.S. Floridian's don't call >70 hot, we call anything <90 COLD.