The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 29, 2015, 09:36 AM   #1
stonewall50

Target .308 ammo?

I would like to get good at rifle shooting. I've always been meh. I got the rifle. I need ammo now. I'm not sure about what kind of ammo I should get. I want consistency, but price is a factor.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Metal god

Federal 168gr gold metal match , or 175gr . If you shop around you can find it for $20 a box and almost always $25 or less

Blackhills match ammo is pretty good

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old May 29, 2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Rimfire5

I take it you don't reload so I will stick to results with factory ammo.

One of my .308s shoots 150 grain Federal Gold Match SMKs slightly better than 168s or 175s.
My other one favors the Federal Gold Match 175s.
Both shoot the Federal Gold Match 168s pretty well.
Those are pretty much the gold standard of .308 match ammos.

Black Hills ammo also uses 168 SMK bullets and performs well.
Factory Norma 168s and Nosler Match 155s also perform well.

You should be able to find something that your rifle likes among that list.
Old May 29, 2015, 01:33 PM   #4
waveslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
Federal 168gr gold metal match , or 175gr . If you shop around you can find it for $20 a box and almost always $25 or less

Blackhills match ammo is pretty good
+1 FGMM is what you want. Blackhills is good but majority will get smaller groups with FGMM. go 175 if you are going for distance, if yout stay below 600 yards or even 800 stay with the 168gr.

do you reload?
Old May 29, 2015, 04:01 PM   #5
DaleA

Pardon me for stating something pretty obvious - when you're checking out the ammo do it with the rifle sand bagged or in a lead sled or whatever it takes to take as much of the human factors out of the equation as possible.

Once you find the ammo that YOUR rifle likes then you can begin 'training up' to shoot as well as you can with lots of confidence in the ammo you're using.
Old May 30, 2015, 07:44 AM   #6
Mobuck

I have a couple of .308 "target" rifles (heavy profile, high quality barrels-tuned actions-sand bag friendly stocks) that aren't really ammo sensitive. Most rifles ARE more selective as to what ammo shoots well and you'll have to find which brand/type ammo your rifle likes best. Federal Gold Medal is almost universally fairly accurate in a wide variety of rifles. Good ammo isn't cheap but you may find some lower priced ammo that is suitably accurate for your needs. You're going to have to buy and shoot until you find that combination.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:27 AM   #7
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
+1 FGMM is what you want. Blackhills is good but majority will get smaller groups with FGMM. go 175 if you are going for distance, if yout stay below 600 yards or even 800 stay with the 168gr.

do you reload?

Sorry for the late response. I do not reload. No space or time to learn.
Old May 30, 2015, 09:47 AM   #8
waveslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
Sorry for the late response. I do not reload. No space or time to learn.
then stick with FGMM you will be GTG
Old May 30, 2015, 10:13 AM   #9
tobnpr

Discussed on a similar thread recently...
What's been said above is correct, FGMM or Black Hills.
Even if you need to switch to something less expensive for more trigger time (which is always important)- the match ammo will give you a reference as to what the rifle is capable of.

Since you say you're "meh", start from a very solid rest/bag (or lead sled) to take out as much shooter error as possible. Proper form, trigger press, etc.

Try to get some evaluation from an RSO or experienced shooter at the range that can watch you and evaluate what you're doing. The only way to improve, is to figure out how to improve your form, and send a lot of lead.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old May 30, 2015, 10:13 AM   #10
kilimanjaro

There is some Austrian Hirtenberger NATO surplus at Aim Surplus right now, about 50 cents a round, but it comes pretty close to match quality.

Hirtenberger is the cream of the surplus manufacture, I shot up a case I bought in the 1980s, was so impressed with it I bought two more and tucked them away.

If you don't reload, save your brass anyway, another reloader will want it or you can scrap it for a couple of bucks.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:21 AM   #11
tobnpr

That's a good price...
Classic has it for $.72/round, nearly 50% more.
Those guys are nuts...

https://www.classicfirearms.com/762x...ergerammo360bp
Old June 1, 2015, 08:25 AM   #12
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50
I'm not sure about what kind of ammo I should get. I want consistency, but price is a factor.

Fact#1 precision costs extra money. No way around it. Be aware just because the box says "Federal Gold Medal Match" and costs $38 is NO guarantee YOUR barrel will like it...

What twist rate is your barrel ? You will probably have to spend some trigger time experimenting with different brands and bullet weights.

Last edited by Road_Clam; June 1, 2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old June 1, 2015, 01:33 PM   #13
precision_shooter

Your rifle will tell you what ammo it likes best...

I've had rifles that shot Federal GMM very well, and others that wouldn't shoot it as well as others.

I would buy a box of each of the below brands and varying bullet weights and let your rifle tell you which one it likes. (This list may not be all encompassing, anyone else, please add to it as you see fit)

150gr, 165gr, 168gr, 178gr

Black Hills (Regular or Moly coated)
Federal Gold Medal Match
Hornady Match (BTHP and AMAX) (My smallest ever 5-shot group was shot with this ammo)
PRVI Partisan Match

There are plenty more, but when I was buying factory ammo, these are the 4 I would try in new rifles to find the one it liked the best. I always had one-two of the shine above the others in a particular rifle.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 1, 2015, 02:07 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...Your rifle will tell you what ammo it likes best..." Exactly. Since you don't reload, you'll have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing. However, if your rifle isn't a target rifle, buying match grade ammo will get expensive and frustrating quickly. Match ammo does tend to shoot better, but a hunting rifle rarely has the barrel to do so optimally.
The Federal stuff may not be available. Midway is listing it as out of stock, no back order. Grafs doesn't list it at all.
Old June 3, 2015, 08:08 PM   #15
monk d

To the OP:
In your post you said you wanted to get good at rifle shooting. That means you will need to shoot a lot to do that. I would recommend as much milsurp as you can afford at first, shoot it up, it will probably do decent groups and concentrate on getting to know the rifle and technique before you spend a dollar or two per round on match ammo.

Then get a box or two of the stuff already listed and get really serious in finding out what the rifle likes, like the other guys have said and you are on your way.
Old June 3, 2015, 09:10 PM   #16
tobnpr

I wish I could remember where I've seen it... but there's a company (or more) packaging smaller amounts of rounds (I believe ten) of several different brands of match ammo together for shooters of factory ammo so they don't have to commit to a box of 20 only to shoot five and find out their rifle doesn't like it. Makes a lot of sense.
Old June 3, 2015, 10:35 PM   #17
kilimanjaro

I'm with Monk on this one. Go out and get some good quality surplus ammo and shoot it up this year. Learn how to sight, hold, squeeze, and breathe. Then start getting concerned about if you are going to have better groups with better ammo, once you've gone through several hundred or a thousand rounds.

You can spend a lot of money on expensive ammo while you're not taking care of a flinch, slapping the trigger, or tensing up expecting the recoil, that kind of thing, none of which will improve by adding six bits a round to your costs.

Try the Hirtenberger if there's any left. It's MOA surplus, none better.
Old June 4, 2015, 11:10 AM   #18
waveslayer

I would even go as far as get some training. take a long range class or something that will teach you when to shoot, during the respiratory pause, trigger press, and follow through, trigger reset, running the bolt, calling your shots, learning the wind and ballistics... you will get there. but to know what your rifle can do good ammo is necessary, plinking rounds are good to get down range but I'm from the school of thought that says, have the best ammo to know what I'm doing wrong in my shooting form, or if it's my gun that's not holding true... you need to know the capabilities of your set up.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:38 PM   #19
velocette

How about doing something that really works and is not expensive (after the initial expense)
Buy yourself a good quality bolt action .22 rf rifle, buy some good quality ammo for it. Shoot it a LOT, keep records of your shooting, DON"T use a bipod, bag, stand, rest, support etc. Use a sling, your arms your muscles and your eyes.
Shoot from prone, shoot from sitting, shoot from (gasp!) standing (offhand).
Just shoot shoot and shoot some more.
After you have mastered the .22, (and it ain't easy) then move on to the centerfire rifle and it's expensive ammo.
If you cannot shoot a consistent 3" group from prone with a .22, don't bother with trying the more expensive stuff, you're just wasting your time and developing bad shooting habits.
The relatively slow .22 rf bullet = long barrel time which DEMANDS good form, good follow through, good breath control and trigger control.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:45 PM   #20
waveslayer

my method really works, like skinning a cat, several ways.
Old June 6, 2015, 12:59 PM   #21
tobnpr

Quote:
but to know what your rifle can do good ammo is necessary, plinking rounds are good to get down range but I'm from the school of thought that says, have the best ammo to know what I'm doing wrong in my shooting form, or if it's my gun that's not holding true... you need to know the capabilities of your set up.
This.
While expensive match ammo isn't a real necessity, if you're shooting surplus that isn't minute of angle or close to it- you can never know if it's you- or the rifle. For an inexperienced, or "meh" shooter, it's best to have someone that can shoot determine the rifle's capability as best as possible, using some FGMM or Black Hills. Then, you know what the rifle can do- the rest is up to the human behind it.

Other thing is, the OP never told us what rifle he's shooting. Could be, the RIFLE is "meh"- and he's doing everything right.

Without knowing for a fact, that you have an accurate rifle AND ammunition, you have no baseline for evaluation. If a shot prints 2 inches left, you need to know it was YOU, and not the ammunition, or an inaccurate rifle.
Old June 7, 2015, 08:49 AM   #22
Gunfixr

As mentioned, you will need to set up the rifle to remove as many human variables as possible for this "testing phase".
Personally, my savage really like the 168 fgmm. Its pretty fond of the remington 168 match also. It shoots the privi partisan (ppu) 168 gr match very good as well, but that starts really spreading out past 200yds in my rifle, whereas the fgmm (what i shoot most) stays good all they way as far as i want to shoot. Even the federal "deer thug" 165 soft points are quite good to 200 yds or so, very close to match. My rifle does not like hornady pretty much at all, although i can load hornady bullets myself to good results.
You will need to try different brands and weights, but i would probably start with fgmm 168 gr. It shoots very well in a lot of rifles.
Old June 24, 2015, 08:25 PM   #23
bamaranger

+1

I'm with velocette. Get a .22, or a .223 these days, and shoot it alot. Ammo will be more affordable, and recoil and blast (to a degree will be less). Once the results you desire are starting to appear, move up to .308.

Much can be learned about trigger, hold, wind, etc, with a much less expensive, lighter kicking rifle.