The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 8, 2013, 09:36 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You'll do some grip mods to it... stippling...
Just be careful if you do that. I've seen a few Glock frames wrecked by amateurs with a soldering iron and some advice from the internet.

As long as we're doing pictures...

Old November 8, 2013, 09:38 PM   #27
charlesc

Questions
1 what kind of grips have you put on glock 19 gen 4 in the photos?
2 what supplies do you use to clean the gun and how do you clean them
3 what are good holsters for this gun
4 how do they compare to xd 9mm or xdm 9mm?
Old November 8, 2013, 09:49 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Frankly, I find myself in much the same position as the OP. I bought a Glock many years ago, in spite of the fact that dryfiring one in a gun shop literally made me shudder. I desperately wanted a 10mm and I couldn't find any 10mm pistols that were getting decent reviews with the exception of the Glock 20.

That G20 impressed me so much that I got another one in short order and have been shooting Glocks ever since.

When I started participating in the forums, I was surprised at all the sound and fury surrounding Glocks and at the many contradictory claims made. I was surprised to find that in many cases there seemed to be no authoritative source for detailed information on the operation of the pistols. I finally decided that if I wanted to find out how they worked I would have to find out for myself. I spent a good deal of time studying the operating system of the pistol until I understood it thoroughly.

Instead of familiarity breeding contempt, for the most part, the more I studied and learned, the more respect I gained for the design. They aren't perfect, and there are a number of things I would change--and some I do change about them. But they are solid guns, good tools.

They still aren't my favorites even though I probably end up shooting them more than my other pistols.

It's strange how things work out. I prefer rifles to handguns but I shoot handguns much more than I shoot rifles. I prefer revolvers to autopistols but I shoot autopistols more. And I prefer metal to polymer but I end up shooting polymer pistols more than metal-framed handguns.
Old November 8, 2013, 09:56 PM   #29
charlesc

what is/are your favorite pistols JohnKSa?
Old November 8, 2013, 10:00 PM   #30
whip1

The Glock family is always open to add new members. Welcome.
Old November 8, 2013, 10:05 PM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
what is/are your favorite pistols JohnKSa?
It varies somewhat with time. I've always been a fan of the Beretta 92 series pistols. And because it is so easy to shoot accurately, I have a hard time leaving the CZ75B in the safe when the agenda is pure fun.
Old November 8, 2013, 10:39 PM   #32
Nick_C_S

Notta Glockhead

I'm certainly not a Glockhead. Actually, I'm a wheel-gun guy - Smith & Wesson, if you please.

But . . . I wanted a 10mm handgun and since I live in California, that means I can have any 10mm I want - as long as it's a Glock (all others aren't on the "approved list," handed down by the Ca DOJ gods).

So I got a G29SF. And I must tell you that it is one heck of a performing piece. I gobbles up everything I throw at it all day long and places the bullets right where I aim them.

(Now recoil was originally outside my comfort zone; but with considerable practice and some grip adjustments that this wheel-gunner never previously considered, it has become quite manageable. But all of that stuff is me with the 10mm round - not the gun.)

At any rate, I was so impressed with the gun - even before I learned how to shoot it decently, I turned around and immediately (30 day minimum between handgun purchases in Kalifornia) purchased a G20SF. I just had to get its bigger brother.

I am a big fan of both and love shooting them. I have since gotten aftermarket (Lone Wolf) barrels for them so they don't tear up my brass for reloading. With 10mm, the "glocked brass" is a very real phenomenon. But at home, they have the stock barrels in them. I only drop in the aftermarkets for range duty.

Great guns. Both of them.
Old November 8, 2013, 10:50 PM   #33
Nick_C_S

Almost forgot: it didn't happen if there's no pics Here's my babies. The 29 has the Lone Wolf in it in this pic. I have also since added Pierce grip extensions to the little guy.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:52 PM   #34
Tejicano

I try to not be a gun snob for any particular brand or model although I have to admit I favor 1911’s and FAL’s. I have a wide interest in firearms and my handgun collection focuses on large caliber, high capacity, semi-autos. While I tend to fall into the “all-steel” crowd I have no problem with plastic if it performs.

I had fired Glocks in the past – but only 9mm’s and 40’s. When I was looking around to pick up a few 10mm handguns the only models I could find were the EAA Witness and the Glock 20. I got one of each and have taken them out to the range.

The Glock does work – but not appreciably better than almost every other gun I have – maybe I’m just lucky? Maybe it is because the Glock model I got is the biggest of the line that it feels a bit clumsy? – but I am comfortable with my early Para-Ord and my FN FNP which are about as thick as they come.

When it comes down to it I shoot my HK USP and Para-Ord better than the Glock. Maybe after some time that will change but for now the Glock seems to be a safe queen. Maybe some day when I develop and interest in 9X19mm handguns I will have to pick up a Glock 17 or 19 but I’ll be waiting for the rumored hi-cap 45ACP SIG before that happens.
Old November 9, 2013, 08:13 AM   #35
SIMP

I enjoyed reading the OP comments and all replies. Last week, like a Jakeleg, I sold my Glock 19 because it wasn't comfy in my hand like my M&Ps were. As soon as I sold it, I missed it. I'll be getting another and it won't leave my collection again.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

I've always been very careful not to post what guns I own on this or any other board. Quite simply, it's one of those things that I just don't think needs to be public knowledge. You may or may not notice that the review doesn't actually say who owns the G19, but in this case I guess I have to admit that it is mine. Yep, I bought a Glock. I'm not sorry, either.

As pflouffedaddy notes, I bombarded him with questions on which Glock to buy, and he was very generous with his knowledge and information. Thank you, pflouffedaddy, for all of your help. I know I was a pest. That's how I avoid buyer's remorse.

Constantine has also alluded to the fact that he's been getting this review in bits and pieces over time. To Constantine and pflouffedaddy, and to the few others who knew that I actually bought a Glock, thank you for keeping my secret. I appreciate your discretion, but I guess the cat's out of the bag now.

As to the rest of you, thank you for all of your kind words. I'm very glad that you enjoyed the review.
Old November 9, 2013, 05:27 PM   #37
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, charlesc!

As for your questions, I can't speak for any of the others, but I'll answer what I can as to myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesc
. . . .
2) I use the same basic cleaning stuff that I use for everything else: Hoppe's and RemOil.
3) I use a leather OWB by Galco. Eventually, I'll also get an IWB and it'll likely be a Theis horsehide/kydex combo.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:03 PM   #38
amd6547

Don't overlook the very cheap looking Glock-brand belt slide holster...they are very low cost and work great.
Most of the time, I use a simple kydex IWB clip on holster. Very lightweight, secure, and offers good trigger security.
Finally, Glocks have been so widely used by law enforcement and citizens for so long that eBay is filled with great holster for them at great prices.
Old November 9, 2013, 08:23 PM   #39
Joe_Pike

I resisted the urge to buy a Glock for a long time, too. I would get right up to the point of laying down the money and turn away...until a few months ago when a used, but never fired, gen 3 19 crossed my path for $400. I now am trying to convince myself to sell a CZ RAMI and buy a 26. I haven't come to terms with that yet.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:24 PM   #40
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
1 what kind of grips have you put on glock 19 gen 4 in the photos?
4 how do they compare to xd 9mm or xdm 9mm?
Here's my video on how to clean and lubricate a Glock pistol. Should take care of #2 for you.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:43 AM   #41
Sheriff Gotcha

I rented a Glock to try it out before. I shot it like crap, but that day I shot everything like crap so clearly not the weapon. In the end I bought a FNS which is basically a Glock from FNH without the track record of the Glock. I just like to be different I suppose. I'll still end up getting a Glock, probably in 10mm.
Old November 10, 2013, 09:22 AM   #42
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
FNS which is basically a Glock from FNH without the track record of the Glock
I love my FNS but it's very different from a Glock. Operating mechanism is no where near as simple as the Glock. That said, I think the FNS is the most underrated striker fired gun on the market---it's a sweet shooter.

Here's my review of the FNS9
Old November 10, 2013, 09:43 AM   #43
TunnelRat

For some reason I can shoot just about any striker fired pistol that is not a Glock better than I can shoot a Glock. It sucks because I really want to love Glocks, but they just don't work well for me. That said they are very reliable (though I think other designs are as well). What more impresses me is the simplicity. Until I detail stripped a Glock I didn't have as much respect for them, now I do.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 10, 2013, 10:29 AM   #44
Ozzieman

I went through a similar experience as you did Spats. The difference was that I hated Glocks, plastic junk crap that has the appeal of a spatula.
Being an N frame collector I don’t want no spatulas.
Then 10 years ago I got married and the wife decided several years later to carry. Took her out with multiple guns and let her shoot as much as she wanted and whatever she wanted. She liked the PPK/s but it bit her hand.
So we went to a LGS and what does she pick out?
Yea you guess it a G26, piece of junk Glock.
Well to make a long story short, Because of the difficulty of racking the slide she took over my 66 S&W and I am sorry to say I have becomes a Glock fan and the 26 is now my prime carry and my G34 is my race gun.
How is it that a small gun like the 26, is the gun that I am most accurate with and can shoot multiple rounds the fastest and with the best grouping I will never understand?
But they are still ugly, still Tupperware, and I still carry one.
So maybe there not so much junk after all.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:09 AM   #45
Pilot

Several years ago I was shooting mostly .45 ACP through 1911's. One day, a guy that I'd see at my gun club a lot brought in two new pistols he had just bought, and was raving about. A Glock 26, and a Glock 30. He asked if I wanted to try them, and I said SURE!

I believe I shot the G30 first as I already had my .45ACP out. I expected high felt recoil, and a lot of muzzle flip, so I aimed slight low, just under the bullseye of my target which was 25 yards away. All the rounds went right where I was aiming the pistol. The gun was pleasant to shoot, and I got used to the trigger quickly. I had similar experience with the G26. Both guns were boringly reliable, and hit where they were aimed. My groups were almost as good as with my 1911 that I'd been shooting for years. I was amazed at what these little pistols could do, but for some reason have gravitated towards others that I also shoot well, but I have a lot of respect for the Glocks. If I do buy one someday, it will probably be a G19.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:46 AM   #46
dgludwig

Good Lord, I feel like I'm in an AA meeting! Hello-my name is Smith and I've become addicted to Glocks.

Apparently, some people need the reassurance of their peer group behind closed doors before they get the nerve to fess up.

Well, I'm the guy outside railing about the world coming to an end in the Age of Plastic. I don't like how Glocks point for me; I hate their triggers and I'll never feel warm and fuzzy over their appearance-and I very much doubt that I'll be changing my mind about these things anytime soon. And to think, some people have called me an ignorant, bull-headed malcontent who wouldn't recognize a perfect product if it came up and bit me on the butt.

Last edited by dgludwig; November 10, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:45 PM   #47
Microgunner

Good read.
Old November 10, 2013, 02:40 PM   #48
Jaywalker

Good thoughts on the Glock, Spats. I'm in a similar, though not identical place - I just bought a G19 Gen4 because with the new grip geometry I can finally hold it properly. I'm still not a fan of the trigger, though - out of the box it broke at over the limit of my 8-pound RCBS trigger Gauge, an estimated nine or 10 pounds. It's now down to 6-1/4 pounds, but I don't shoot it as well as I do my also-new Walther PPQ. The G19 is destined to gain a 3.5# connector in order to see if I can shoot it any more accurately.

Both the PPQ and the G
Old November 10, 2013, 02:42 PM   #49
Jaywalker

Good thoughts on the Glock, Spats. I'm in a similar, though not identical place - I just bought a G19 Gen4 because with the new grip geometry I can finally hold it properly. I'm still not a fan of the trigger, though - out of the box it broke at over the limit of my 8-pound RCBS trigger Gauge, an estimated nine or 10 pounds. It's now down to 6-1/4 pounds, but I don't shoot it as well as I do my also-new Walther PPQ. The G19 is destined to gain a 3.5# connector in order to see if I can shoot it any more accurately.

Both the PPQ and the G-19 are my first polymer firearms and I'm not sold on either, yet. OTOH, it took me 25 years to decide I was going to keep my Browning HP and could therefore justify a trigger job, so the platic wonders may eventually work out for me...
Old November 10, 2013, 07:52 PM   #50
Glenn E. Meyer

Great! I just shot my first match with my new Gen 4 Glock 17. It was a sweet heart. With the smallest grip and the double spring, it was a joy to shoot. Except for one target (darn it), very accurate.

It joins my 19, and 26. I saw folks fumbling around with guns with conventional safeties and decockers. Who needs that!

Glenn

Tags
g19 , gen 4 , glock , glock 19 gen 4 , review