The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 10, 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
kudjomojo

1911 double stack in a SERPA

Hello everyone!
So, I'm having a 1911 high capacity built on a caspian recon frame. I would like to run a BLACKHAWK! SERPA Level 3, light bearing, drop leg holster with their Xiphos light. But the question is, are those products going to be compatible with my pistol because of its square trigger guard and wide frame? If not can they be modified to work?
Thanks in advance for any input.

The cost of living is dying. Everybody pays. No fear.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:27 PM   #2
X_shooter

I know that my two 1911's do not fit my serpa the same. The SA is perfect and the Sig is snug. If your Caspian has a wider or higher slide than a standard 1911 it won't go in. The front of the dust cover makes a difference too if its not standard. I will also note that the backside of the Serpa has a rounded relief to accept the rounded trigger guard. I anticipate a squared trigger guard will also be a problem.

I don't know if they make one for your model, but there are many dimensionally similar if not identical guns that they do make a holster for that could work. You might want to call the manufacturer and give them some dimensions or take it to a gun shop and try before you buy. If its close then grinding away with a dremel may be an option for you.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Doc Intrepid

I owned two Para-Ordnance P-14s.

One was stock, the other was hand-built on one of their early frames.

The stock P-14 fit into my 1911 Serpa.

The P-14 built on the early frame did not.

I'm afraid you're going to have to try it to discover whether it will fit or not, but if the trigger guard isn't reasonably stock, stand by for disappointment.
Old May 12, 2013, 04:33 AM   #4
kudjomojo

I contacted blackhawk and they said that their 1911 holsters will not fit any high capacity 1911s. I asked them why/where the holster doesn't fit and have not gotten a reply.
So, I started digging a little deaper. To the best of my understanding, the squared trigger guard that many of the hi-caps share is to blame. But I could not find any information specifically about light bearing SERPA holsters. Does this change anything internally or are they all the same regardless of the light bearing option?
I would go to a gun shop and test it out but this isn't a run of the mill holster and nobody in town carries them. I was hoping to find someone that had personally had a similar combination and could share thier experience.
I have no problem with modifying the holster if its possible to make it fit.
Thanks again for your input.

Old May 12, 2013, 08:18 PM   #5
X_shooter

I checked out their website and found the link below. This level 2 shows that the light channel goes right through where that trigger guard slot would normally be located. Its definitely worth trying first. I know that some websites will take it back if it doesn't fit.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Lev...,1180,1410.htm
Old May 12, 2013, 09:26 PM   #6
kudjomojo

Great! I'm going to go for it. Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. It'll be about 4 months before I get my pistol but I'll post how it turns out.

Tags
1911 , double stack 1911 , high capacity 1911 , holsters , serpa