The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2013, 07:12 PM   #26
L2R

buyer beware - you were warned in a above post.

I bought an uplula and the wife, indeed, does burn thru more ammo.

consider yourself warned twice.

yes, they work great.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:12 PM   #27
Topher127

Uplula, hands down.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:28 AM   #28
jmstr

Re: Which is the best clip loader?

Another vote for uplula mag loader

sent from tapatalk on Evo3G
Old April 18, 2013, 01:03 PM   #29
Ben Dover

I use the HKS loaders exclusively.

I have often wondered why it is so upsetting to some for a person to use clip/magazine interchangerably, when the same people will use rifle/carbine, automatic rifle/machinegun, cartridge/bullet and dozens of other terms incorrectly.

If you refer to your automobile as your "wheels" or your motorcycle as your "Hawg" why get upset if someone calls his magazine a clip??

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #30
fshfindr

If he carried an M1 as I did, it will always be a clip. But we know the diff.

Richard L.
Old April 20, 2013, 09:05 PM   #31
wolfe 21

I find the human thumb to be the best loader available, at least to me. Easy to use, no risk of forgetting it and can be used across many different magazines .... But I've got gorilla hands, so YMMV.

That said, I've heard good things about the Lula loaders.

And I'm a bit of an arse too
Old April 21, 2013, 04:18 AM   #32
Theohazard

Quote:
Ben Dover posted
I have often wondered why it is so upsetting to some for a person to use clip/magazine interchangerably, when the same people will use rifle/carbine, automatic rifle/machinegun, cartridge/bullet and dozens of other terms incorrectly.
If those people are correcting people and still using incorrect terms themselves, I agree they're being a little ridiculous. But a "clip" and a "magazine" are distinctly different things, whereas two of the three examples you mentioned aren't.

A carbine is a type of rifle; there is no exact definition of the word carbine, other than a rifle with a short barrel.

And there is a lot of overlap between an automatic rifle and a machine gun.

Using the word "clip" instead of "magazine" bothers me because it is flat-out wrong and represents a level of complete ignorance about firearms.

Quote:
If you refer to your automobile as your "wheels" or your motorcycle as your "Hawg" why get upset if someone calls his magazine a clip??
Because those two examples are just slang terms, whereas a clip is something different than a magazine.
Old April 21, 2013, 04:36 AM   #33
Sport45

I, like Wolfe, almost always rely on my thumb for this duty even though there's a Uplula in my range bag. By the time I dig it out I can have 5 rounds in the mag and that's about all I ever load at a time while on the range.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:51 PM   #34
FLChinook

Quote:
Using the word "clip" instead of "magazine" bothers me because it is flat-out wrong and represents a level of complete ignorance about firearms.
OK, as the OP, I've patiently accepted the many remarks critical of my use of the word "clip" when I should have said "magazine". I've admitted I typed in haste and thanked everyone for their efforts to enlighten me. I was wrong. I stand corrected. I will endeavor to do better in the future.

Having said that, I think that saying my incorrect use of the word "magazine" puts me at a level of "complete ignorance about firearms" is a little harsh. It's pretty clear that incorrectly interchanging "clip" and "magazine" can cause the hairs on the backs of some ardent shooters to stand right up! Future posters, beware...

As for the question at hand, my wife loves her new UpLULA and yes, she did fire off a few more rounds at the range last week using it... What once was a ample stock of 9mm is now starting to look a bit depleted...
Old April 21, 2013, 03:35 PM   #35
Theohazard

I apologize, FLChinook; that wasn't intended as an insult towards you, though I see how it could be seen that way.

I guess my language was a little harsh. I suppose my point is only that we would all be better off if general education about firearms were more widespread. I see "clip" misused so often during the ongoing media gun debate by the same people who want to ban certain guns because they don't understand them. I guess that to people like me, "clip" represents firearms ignorance and we get pretty worked up about it, even if in your case it doesn't mean you're ignorant at all.

Once again, I apologize if my post insulted you in any way.

And as far as your wife's new UpLULA, it sounds like it works a little TOO well; maybe you should get rid of it! I mean, it's not like 9mm is easy to get these days.
Old April 21, 2013, 04:28 PM   #36
FLChinook

Thanks for the kind words. No harm so no foul. This forum is the best
Old April 21, 2013, 04:39 PM   #37
LockedBreech

Glad the UpLULA is working out for you. Mine made life much easier. While Beretta ships their guns with very high quality factory magazines, the downside is that the lips on them are like razor blades. UpLULA has saved me a lot of bloody fingertips.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:11 AM   #38
SIMP

UPLULA is the best mag loader I've used.