The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 16, 2010, 02:33 PM   #1
denster

Hickok Revolvers Range Report

I finally got a chance to shoot the pair of Hickok revolvers. The target shown is the first six rounds from both guns. 15Gr of 777 and a .375RB from 15 Yards offhand. Point of aim was the center of the target. I am really pleased.
I shot a total of 30 rounds from each gun and moved the charge to 20gr 777 with no change in accuracy. The only thing I need to change are the trigger pulls on both guns, while light, are too long. Typical Pietta so I will pin both full cock notches to cut the length of pull in half.
Hey Fingers! Had a chance to try yours yet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Range.jpg (66.4 KB, 122 views)
Old August 16, 2010, 06:05 PM   #2
ClemBert

That lil' Hickok revolver is a lot of fun to shoot. It's just one of my weapons in my arsenal to brainwash my Brazilian born girlfriend. She didn't know a thing about firearms and was somewhat fearful of them before meeting me. Her idea of sport is futbol (soccer) not firearms. So in addition to introducing her to the wonderful world of soot I have another gameplan that involves converting her over to football from that commie sport she currently likes. After one season of football behind us and after several sessions with black powder I'm well on my way to brainwashing her.

She really likes that Hickok revolver and she's actually quite the shot with it. Outshot me at 20 yards.

And yes, she is an Amazon woman at 5'11".
Old August 16, 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Slowhand

Go Tigers.....

Great Range Report. Don't mess with the lady. That's some good shooting.

Also great looking range box. Thanks for the post.

Last edited by Slowhand; August 16, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added comments
Old August 16, 2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

No Denster, I havent been able to try mine out ....yet. Been HOT here for the past month seems like. Heat indices in the 105 to 110 range. Took it and a couple others that I havent tried out yet to the range yesterday with the intent of running a few cylinders full each of them after the CAS match. By the time we got done with the match, all I wanted to do was sit under the AC. Maybe next week.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old August 16, 2010, 06:30 PM   #5
longranger

ClemBert,

You do my daughter and son in-law real proud displaying those Clemson chairs,both are alumni and live in Laurens S.C.Tiger fans are you ? go Tigers !
Old August 16, 2010, 09:16 PM   #6
the Black Spot

soccer..is not a commie sport, i should know i played it for 12 years, all the way through college...
Old August 16, 2010, 10:02 PM   #7
ClemBert

Nice shootin' denster! Thanks for the range report. Those Hickok revolvers are a great buy when on sale. Very purdy yet very functional.

I seem to recall we were doing either 23 or 25 grains of GOEX 3Fg last time out with the Hickok. We didn't worry too much about accuracy but really spent more time going over safety, process, procedure, and having fun. We also did an inaugural shooting of the ROA with the conversion cylinder installed with 40 grain BP cartridges.

Lookin' forward to pics of your gunsmithing work on the trigger system.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:24 AM   #8
enyaw

I've got a Wild Bill revolver like the pic shows. Got it about five years ago. Maybe six. It shot good right from the box...long creep to the trigger and all. I was surprised to find it shot very close to the point of aim right from the box. I'm used to the typical "shoots pretty high" right from the box when it comes to Colt Navy Revolvers. It was a real surprise that two navy Colts I got back then shot to point of aim. They don't all do that.
I haven't put a lot of thought into why some shoot low and others seemingly identical shoot pretty high. I figure it's the way the barrel is drilled thru and the way the barrel fits the frame...wedge and arbor and all that.
Anyway the target in the pic up above looks like a good one. Lots of balls right on the centerline.
The girl out shot you at times Denster? That's cool. Got some competition then. Darn pretty shootin Buddy. We should all be so lucky. My wife used to shoot with me at times and I always enjoyed her excitment intensity about it when it was all new to her. She seemed to take a half hour to get a shot off. She used her Uberti 1862 Pocket Police 36cal. Small person with small hands but she liked shootin the Navy Colts too.
Anyway good to see people having some shootin fun with some new guns.
You mentioned pinning the full cock notch to do a trigger job? I never tried that method. Do you put the pin in the notch parallel to the top of the notch or perpendicular to it?
Old August 17, 2010, 08:57 AM   #9
denster

The pin doesn't go in the notch, it goes in front of the notch and it's purpose is to limit sear engagement. Pietta has about twice the depth of engagement as Uberti so even if the pull is smooth it is long. Fortunately Pietta's hammer geometry is correct and you can limit the depth of engagement without fear that the sear will bang into the half cock notch. I'll post some pics when I get around to doing this.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:43 PM   #10
Hardy

Clembert- yes you do have an amazing girl . You did well for yourself. "Hey I mean that w/respect. And, I bought 2 of those and sold them to Bud Moore's son Greg. Bud Moore is a racing legend. He is 85 years old and watches westerns religiously! Greg saw those WB Hickocks and bought them for his Dad's 85 birthday. Bud was extactic! He won't take them out of his display case-much less shoot them. Greg, wants to do a radio show at our shop--- he does an espn spot on Sat's about stock car racin and ....could be great for our lil store. By the way--we are from Sc and go TIGERS!!!