The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 2, 2002, 05:14 PM   #1
garrettwc

On Kydex concealability -

Question for Scott Evans, and anybody else with experience.

I am in the market for a new holster for my BHP and my impending 1911 purchase. I currently have an excellent Alessi CQC/s that I bought to carry my Walther based on three criteria: quality, comfort, concealability

The emphasis on the last one being that with the Alessi I can carry OWB during the humid summer months under large untucked polo or Hawaiin shirts. The holster rides high and close to the body.

I have seen a lot of quality looking kydex out there. My ultimate question is can I get the same concealability with kydex?
Old May 2, 2002, 08:06 PM   #2
tommygun45

Concealability

Personally I have found my Ky-Tac Bravehart is more concelable than any of the leather rigs I own. You can find the Ky-Tac Bravehart for the 1911, and the BHP onwww.skdtac.com I highly recomend this holster.
Old May 3, 2002, 04:56 AM   #3
AK103K

I dont know if they conceal any better or worse than leather. The biggest plus is that the kydex wont sweat through. Its also more comfortable against bare skin, not my cup of tea, but occasionally my undershirt rides up and I cant fix it right then. The wet leather against my skin grabs and rubs making an uncomfortable situation even worse, the kydex doesnt rub like that.
Old May 3, 2002, 06:53 PM   #4
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

For any holster to be considered for serious practical carry, whether concealed or not, certain characteristics need to be inherent in the rig. Included characteristics are; a secure reliable retention on the handgun, a secure dependable system of mounting the holster, a properly covered trigger and a design that allows one to obtain a proper firing grip on the weapon prior to the draw. If a holster lacks any of the above it would not be a good holster regardless of how well it may conceal.

High and close to the body are the primary attributes in most any rig that conceals well. Bulk of the material used, and an outside shape that distils the silhouette of the package under the clothing are also considerations. Personal comfort and how well a holster works for its user is tied to many variables. Body type and shape, how you move, your training, your selection in clothing, your belt and so on all effect how well you and your rig combine. What is perfect for one can be all wrong for another.

For me I prefer the better Kydex rigs for the combined benefits of low bulk, good retention and crisp clean break on the draw. That certainly is not to say that I don’t like quality leather; I do… it’s just not my first choice.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old May 3, 2002, 07:50 PM   #5
garrettwc

Quote:
Personal comfort and how well a holster works for its user is tied to many variables. Body type and shape, how you move, your training, your selection in clothing, your belt and so on all effect how well you and your rig combine.
Scott first of all thanks for the detailed explanation of the concept of holster quality. Regarding the quote above, I intend to do my part, good belt, larger than normal shirts, opaque patterns, etc.

I was trying to determine if the rigid nature of kydex and how the belt loops or paddles attach made the task more difficult than it would be with leather.

Thanks for the help!
Old May 3, 2002, 08:28 PM   #6
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Quote:
I was trying to determine if the rigid nature of kydex and how the belt loops or paddles attach made the task more difficult than it would be with leather.

In my opinion I would have to say no. Certainly a poorly conceived design of any type will not do as well as desired. In my experience I design with the material limitation in mind. A G-Code paddle for instance is designed to pull the holster tight to the body. Standard placement on my rigs has them riding high. The hooks (3 of them not just one or two) securely catch under the belt while the contour and overall shape provides support and comfort. The outside edge of the holsters geometry flows smoothly so as to distil the shape of the weapon under a shirt. Close fitting form of the holster to that of the weapon provides positive retention with out need of gadgets or straps. Last the thickness of the kydex is minimal when compared to leather. Again, I have nothing against leather for daily carry. We have several qualified makers of such who are members of TFL. They likewise design with the limitations and strengths of the materials involved in mind. In doing so they make some very nice, functional designs.

I hope I’m getting closer to an answer.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old May 4, 2002, 12:13 AM   #7
garrettwc

Quote:
I hope I’m getting closer to an answer.
I think so. If I read you correctly, the holster designer must do his part and make best use of the materials chosen. The wearer must then do his/her part by wearing the holster properly and dressing for the occasion.

If both those elements are in place it makes no difference what material you chose. You will have a functional piece of carry gear.