The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 8, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1
wogpotter

Range report, double belt pouch for BP.

I'm not sure if this needs to be here or in accessories, feel free to move as needed.

I didn't want a "possibles bag" or "Shooting bag" draped round my shoulder, but I did want to be able to carry essentials & supplies away from the bench. I discovered the "double belt pouch" from several BP sources (including Cabella's) & bought one as I have a belt & holster for the .44 cal 1858 Remington anyway.

I'm hooked, this is well made from good thick strong leather with a decent oil finish & well stitched & so on in all respects.

There are actually 3 compartments! One thin, un-gusseted one directly adjacent to the belt loop itself, one open topped one next to that, normally covered by the flap that forms the 3rd closable one.

It took a few tries but I finally figured out that the inside large pocket is the easiest to access, because you just lift up the outer one, lid & all. I ended up with balls (in a ball bag), caps in a tin, a small container of greased wads, & a capper filled with caps on the inside is the ready kit.

The outer closable pouch has the less frequently accessed, but needed tools & accessories for the field. Right now this has a nipple wrench / prick combo tool, a pair of bent nosed tweezers, a couple of flat screwdrivers, a few toothpicks & Q-Tips a small bottle of oil & some patches.

There is a brass loop (fairly small) to attach a thong to, & a loop that takes a 45 cal brass case as part of the belt loop BTW, I don't personally get on with the thong-mounted accessories (such as a capper) myself, buy YMMV. The brass case serves me as a transfer for powder from the flask to the cylinder & doubles as a measure also.

My only criticism? I wish the belt loop were split into 2 smaller ones, or had a slot cut in the middle, as it can't really be attached to a worn belt as it is too long to fit between the pant loops. If I was being super picky I'd want the brown color of this to match the reddish-brown of the other Cabela's belts & holsters, but that's a very minor thing.

If you want an alternate to a shoulder bag I highly recommend checking this out. It is big enough to do all it should but not bulky & it catches on things less.