The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1
33brian

Sig p6 specials edition

Sig p6 special edition with gold trigger hammer decocker etc. 1/84 stamped on slide called sig man said their records didn't go back far enough for the serial # on this gun but the 1/84 should indicate that the gun is 1 of 84 total does anyone know anything about these guns and what kind of value it would have
Old August 20, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2
carguychris

You will get MUCH better answers if you post pictures of the gun, along with any accessories, paperwork, packaging, etc. that accompany it.

It's also potentially important to know whether the gun shows evidence of having been fired; the value of many commemorative or special-edition guns drops sharply with use. Don't draw conclusions based on cleanliness; look for a case head impression on the breech face, finish wear on the barrel at the slide contact points (on a SIG, pay particular attention to the ejection port area), and scuff marks inside the mag well from repeated mag insertions. These signs are difficult to clean off or cover up.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:05 PM   #3
33brian

The gun has been used its in great shape and shoots perfect and I can't figure out how to put a pic on here
Old August 21, 2013, 09:31 AM   #4
carguychris

Quote:
I can't figure out how to put a pic on here
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292842
Old August 21, 2013, 03:49 PM   #5
wgsigs

Are you sure it is a special edition and not a regular P6 that someone has customized and maybe re-finished? I'm not sure why SIG would come out with a special edition of a regular mundane German police service pistol. Does the hammer still have a notch? I am inclined to believe the 1/84 on the slide is the date of manufacture. If it is on the right side that is where it normally is, along with the serial # (at least the last 3 digits), "P6", and either "NW" or "NRW" (the state of the issuing police department). 84 is kind of an unusual number for a special run. Of course if it comes with the box and appropriate papers, then that could help alleviate my skepticism. I hope you can get pictures up.

Last edited by wgsigs; August 21, 2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
WVsig

My guess is that it is a P225 not a P6.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
wgsigs

Quote:
My guess is that it is a P225 not a P6.
I didn't think of that possibility. But a special edition run of 84 P225s still seems like an odd number.
Old August 21, 2013, 10:28 PM   #8
33brian

It doesn't look refinished it looks factory and I gave the serial number to sig they said their records didn't go back far enough to tell them when it was made I'm no expert and I really don't know for sure if someone customized it or not I'm just going by what the guy at sig told me about the 1/84 stamped on side I thought that maybe the odd number was because it was the one they issued to the leader of the squad or whatever they are called and they were 84 squads at the time it is stamped p6 on slide but I guess it could be a 225 ill try to get a pic up thanks everyone
Old August 22, 2013, 09:08 AM   #9
wgsigs

SIG would not have any records of the P6 anyway even if they went back that far because they did not import the P6. Companies like PW Arms and C.A.I. were the ones who brought the P6s into the country, and one of their import marks will probably be on your gun. The P6 is a "surplus" German Police gun. There probably wouldn't even be any here in the U.S. if the German government had not switched the standard issue police pistol from the P6 (and Walther P5 and HK P7) to a newer model HK, creating an inventory of thousands of turned-in used pistols, mostly P6s.

If your gun is a P6, then the 1/84 is the date of manufacture although some have (3) German proof marks on the bottom front chin of the slide. The proof marks will usually include a two letter proof date code - "JE" would be the code for '84 - which would probably be the year of manufacture.

Here are a couple of pictures of typical P6s from the internet to show what I was talking about.

Last edited by wgsigs; August 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Walt Sherrill

As I understand it, the P6 was made made under a government contract for the West German government for police use. Special editions are typically "civilian" guns. I haven't heard of many other Special Editions based on SIGs from that period, and certainly based on a very basic military/police gun; the fact that I've not heard of it doesn't tell you much -- but the "Gold" accents seem totally out of character for the gun and the original market. (Beretta released a civilian version of the M9 in a commemorative set, but the market for that gun was arguably large. That said, I don't think I saw more than one...)

A "Special Edition" of anything that old, and based on what is essentially a police/military (perhaps surplus) weapon, screams "importer modification" or "marketing gimmick." The Beretta was released while the M9 was still in use! Add the Gold Accents, and the package seems even more quirky.

Maybe one of the companies that sell 1911s and Winchester Rifles as commemoratives (John Wayne Specials, or Vietnam War Specials) had a hand in this? I doubt it was done by SIG.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; August 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM.