The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 20, 2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Slowhand

Pietta 1858 Remington SS

No DOC it's not for sale.

The mailman delivered my recently purchased Pietta 1858 Remington, 44 Cal stainless today. Of course I cut open the box and there she was.

This baby was listed as unfired. I haven't got the time to open her up yet but I can see manufacturers grease under the cylinder area and edges. Of course she has Pietta stamped all over her. The star and the PN mark from the House of Gardore and Bresca are there and ... the letters AB. According to Dennis Adlers Chart that would make this thing 34 years old. I guess that will make her a Safe Queen. Great deal for $225.
Old August 20, 2010, 05:23 PM   #2
c.robertson

Well, today is a banner day . Got my Stainless Pietta also.

Notice the checkered walnut grips and target post high front sight, like on the target model S&W's of the past. The action is glass smooth, MUCH more so than the Uberti Target '58.

In order top to bottom price & acquisition date:
1) Pietta '58 Rem. Stainless Target .44 Cal. $320.00 20-Aug-10
2) Pietta '58 Rem. NM Army .44 Cal. $200.00 02-Aug-10
3) Uberti '58 Rem. Stainless Target .44 Cal. $250.00 14-Aug-20
4) Uberti '58 Rem. NM Navy .36 Cal. $75.00 10-July-20
NOTE: The Uberti .36 Navy came with Lyman .36 mold block, 15lbs pure lead, and leather holster, all for seventyfive dollars. YEAH!!!

All 4 purchased since 10-July-10

Picture 417.jpg

Picture 422.jpg

Last edited by c.robertson; August 21, 2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: photos
Old August 20, 2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Model-P

Congratulations!

Here's my AC (1977) Uberti. This was my very first gun. My brother paid part of it as a grade school graduation present, and paper route money covered the extra for the boxed stainless "upgrade" I decided I wanted. I remember riding on my bicycle past the local police department on my way to my friend's house and back a few times with it holstered on my belt (same home-made holster in the picture)! Wouldn't recommend that today

Old August 21, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Slowhand

The Mailman Delivered Again

The Mailman delivered today again.

A Ruger Old Army, made in 1976 and a Pietta Replica of a 1851 Colt Navy Revolver, made in 2003. These are going to be the working girls in my collection. The Pietta had a few rounds put through her and was put away. The ROA, she's in great shape but could use a work out.

Last edited by Slowhand; August 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Grammar, spelling, duh usual stuff
Old August 21, 2010, 12:21 PM   #5
flatheadsal

since we"re showing off fellas, lol, pair of ASM's with conversion cylinders

Old August 21, 2010, 01:56 PM   #6
wittzo

Quick snapshot of my Ruger Old Army and Remington New Model Army with their holsters and conversion cylinders. I just need a few more belt pouches for the conversion cylinders.

The Pietta is a real good a value for its cost, I wish I had spent extra to get adjustable sights, but I had fun figuring out it's point of aim.

The Ruger can handle crazy stiff loads without dropping it's lever, but it doesn't swap out cylinders as easy, requiring a work surface to catch the parts that fall off when you do. I've got the aftermarket cylinder pin but I still need a tool to turn the retaining screw until I get around to making a Clembert pin.

Shoot the Remington, swap the cylinders 3 times, then pull the Ruger.

I use 25 grains of Goex Pinnacle with a dry felt wad under a 200 grain wadcutter or a 200 grain roundnose bullet. I have one of my last 255 grain wadcutters/30 grain of Pinnacle loads in the pic. Much more comfortable with the lighter bullets. I'm going to try an even milder load using Schofield casings the next session.
Old August 21, 2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Model-P

Wow, Slowhand! Three guns in two days! At that rate, you'd better dedicate an entire room or two for your growing collection Good looking guns. Congrats again!