The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 26, 2009, 11:28 PM   #1
the rifleer

converting to flintlock

I have a traditions Kentucky long rifle. I bought it as a kit and it works very well and i really like it, however its a percussion and i think it would be more fun as a flintlock.

Is there anyway to convert it to flint lock rifle?
Old October 27, 2009, 12:46 AM   #2
roklok

I am not familiar with your particular rifle. Does it have a drum screwed into the breech for the nipple or does it have a cast in bolster for the nipple? If it is a drum type arrangement it is pretty easy to replace the drum with a vent for the flintlock. Then you would need a flintlock lock assembly. A good lock is L and R's RPL line:

http://www.lr-rpl.com/index.php?opti...d=36&Itemid=62
Old October 27, 2009, 09:15 PM   #3
the rifleer

it has a screw in drum. How exactly do i go about replacing it? is it as simple as just unscrewing it and putting in a flask pan/lock? obviously it would need some wood work, but I'm ok with that.
Old October 28, 2009, 02:22 AM   #4
arcticap

The hole would probably need to have a vent liner installed because the hole is so large. Or it could need to be plugged with another hole needing to be drilled to serve as the vent.
While some folks have successfully converted some percussion models, there are some risks involved. If it's not done properly the rifle can be ruined.
One alternative would be to just sell your rifle and use the proceeds toward buying a moderately priced flintlock to replace it. Doing that might end up costing about the same price in the end as it would cost to actually do the conversion.
Old October 28, 2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Raider2000

Another Thought would be to acquire a barel from Green Mountain or Track of the Wolf that has the hooked breach like the one that is already on his percussion barrel but with the vent liner already installed, fit into place & switch the locks & he'd have the best of both worlds.
Old October 28, 2009, 08:03 PM   #6
roklok

It might be as simple as screwing the drum out, depends on how tight it was turned in, and if there is corrosion on the threads. It may have to be drilled out if rusted in place. After the drum is removed, there will have to be a vent liner installed where the drum was. The threads will have to match, or the hole can be redrilled and tapped for a larger sized vent. Chambers White Lightnin vent liners are great: http://www.flintlocks.com/parts.htm scroll down about halfway. With one of those vents, and one of these locks: http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(byg...48&styleID=577 you should have a reliable, fast firing flintlock. There may have to be some fitting to ensure that the vent is properly lined up with the pan.
Old October 30, 2009, 12:46 AM   #7
arcticap

Traditions also sells moderately priced locks which might have something in common with your model since the Traditions Kentucky also comes in flint.
A Kentucky lock may cost around $50 or so if it's available.
The bolt that holds the lock in place needs to [be] fit, as does the bolt threading, the lock mortice and the trigger.