The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 4, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
bsnone

1911 Extractor ?

Okay, so I've been having FTE problems with my springfield mil spec 1911. Usually the 2nd to last brass gets caught in the slide (stovepiping or crunching, usually crunching). I've done some reasearch through the forums and I think that the extractor may be "clocking". upon closer inspection, I feel like the extractor is loose within its fitting. I can physically rotate the extractor with my fingers maybe an 1/8 or 1/10 of a turn in each direction.

Anyone have an idea of a remedy for this? Do I need a new extractor that is a tighter fit? Would a firing pin plate do the job? I'm trying to do this fix at home as opposed to sending it to a gunsmith if I can...

Also, the other comments that I've read mention extractor tension. For the life of me I can seem to get a casing to sit on the extrator manually, is there some sort of trick to this?

What can I do to adjust tension on the extractor at home? Or is this something that a smith should be doing?

Thanks for the help!
Old January 4, 2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Don P

Quote:
For the life of me I can seem to get a casing to sit on the extrator manually, is there some sort of trick to this?
If you are meaning you can't get a case to stay on the extractor then I suggest to you call Springfield explain the problem and ask them to send a shipping label to you and let them fix it for free.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 5, 2012, 03:42 PM   #3
drail

If the problem is always the last couple of rounds then you have an extractor that is rough and needs beveling and polishing. Does it do this with any mag? Does the gun throw cases all over the area instead in one spot? How old is the recoil spring? With the slide off the gun and the barrel removed when you slide a round up into the extractor does it droop a little but stay in the extractor or does it fall out immediately? Does it have a little spring to it when you slide the round into it or is it a loose fit. When you remove the extractor do you have to gently pry it out a little to pull it or does it just slide out with no resistance? An extractor that "clocks" will not usually cause a feed problem but will eject erractically. Tensioning the extractor by gently bending it in a vise to give it a tighter hold is not difficult. Clamp it at the halfway point and lightly tap the hook end with a small hammer. Go easy. Just proceed a little at a time and reassemble and check the tension with a round. It usually doesn't take much. Just bend the front half a little at a time. Once you get it where it has a little tension and will hold a round then you can address the clocking problem. The solution for clocking is to fit and oversized firing pin stop (EGW has a good one).

Last edited by drail; January 5, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 5, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4
velocette

Bsnone;
After you have done what Drail has suggested, remember to NEVER drop the slide on a chambered round. This makes the extractor ride over the rim and will very quickly cause it to lose its proper tension.
A 1911 is designed to feed from the magazine and the extractor was designed to pick up the fresh round as it rises from the magazine & is guided into the chamber. Never to ride over the rim.

Roger
Old January 5, 2012, 04:01 PM   #5
drail

Thanks Velocette. I always just assume everyone knows not to do that but of course I would be wrong. That is usually how they get loose.
Old January 10, 2012, 10:27 AM   #6
bsnone

Thanks Drail for the reply, I appreciate all the information.

When I take down the slide and place a round as you suggested, it just barely stays in place. A quick light shake and the bullet falls through. The brass is getting tossed all over the place when I do fire the handgun, definatly not in one general area.

Now when I take down the extractor, it pretty much falls right out - there is no resistance whatsoever.

I'll get to work on adjusting the extractor shortly, I'll let you know what I come up with, thanks so much for the insight, this newbie appreciates it.