The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 27, 2014, 10:57 AM   #26
Mike_Fontenot

Full-spec 10mm has a higher momentum than .45ACP, but not by a lot (because momentum is strongly influenced by the mass of the bullet, and a 230gr .45ACP bullet is a good bit heavier than most bullets used in 10mm cartridges). Muzzle momentum equals the maximum momentum delivered to the frame/shooter's-hands/shooter's-body, and that determines the "overall recoil". So "overall recoil" of a 10mm is somewhat more, but not a lot more, than a .45ACP. However, the recoil of a 10mm is delivered over a much shorter period of time than for .45ACP, so it is quite a bit "snappier". Full-spec 10mm also has a much greater muzzle energy than .45ACP. I think different people interpret the sensation of recoil in different ways ... some would say that 10mm and .45ACP aren't much different in recoil (because they interpret recoil mostly in terms of maximum momentum delivered to them), whereas others are more sensitive to "snappiness", and they would say that 10mm recoil is substantially greater than .45ACP.
Old March 27, 2014, 03:49 PM   #27
SHE3PDOG

I've shot 10mm before (Glock), but I was just curious how it was with this gun being so much heavier than the only other one I've ever shot.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 27, 2014, 05:07 PM   #28
Mike_Fontenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by She3pdog
I've shot 10mm before (Glock), but I was just curious how it was with this gun being so much heavier than the only other one I've ever shot.
I can't help you there ... my 10mm Eclipse (full-size, all-steel) is the ONLY autoloader I've ever shot. The 10mm rounds that I shoot are close to full-spec, and the relatively heavy weight of my Eclipse is MUCH nicer to shoot than the mid-power .357 rounds that I used to carry in my 11oz ultralight snubby ... not even close. Weight is really nice to shoot, but not always so nice to carry (although I've been able to find a way to carry my Eclipse full-time fairly comfortably).

I THINK I've heard other 10mm users say, though, that they found their Glock 20 easier on recoil (despite its lighter weight) than a full-size all-steel 1911 ... I wouldn't have expected that.
Old March 27, 2014, 06:54 PM   #29
Arizona Fusilier

I love 10mm....but alas, I bought one if the first Delta Elites. Arguably, during the "doldrums" of Colt's quality control. Had a part fly off at less than a 100 hundred rounds. Of course, that was using that original, really hot Norma stuff. Regardless, I have always questioned whether the 1911 was the best format for this cartridge.

Don't get me wrong....it seems to be working well with others.....and DW knows how to make a good gun....so rock on. For me, the Delta rarely makes it out if the safe, so I will live with that for now.
Old March 28, 2014, 06:31 AM   #30
CockNBama

Recoil, and especially comparative recoil from different pistols or calibers, is difficult for me to characterize. My DW PM7 and my Glock 20 are so accurate (and so fun to shoot) that I never come home thinking about which one is more violent at ignition. BTW, I've never used Norma ammo.

But before I imply that I'm a tough guy and impervious to brutal effects of firing pistols, I'll admit that the damn trigger on that Glock just eats up my pore ol' trigger finger. I started wearing gloves because of it. Then I got that Smith .357, and...
Old March 28, 2014, 04:15 PM   #31
WIN1886

Quote:
Had a part fly off at less than a 100 rounds.

What part was it that broke off on your Delta Elite ? I just got a few boxes of Underwood 10mm ammo to try in my DW Razorback and I sure hope no parts fly off of my 1911 ! I do know they don't recommend their ammo to be used in the Delta Elite or any other 10mm semi - auto pistol that doesn't have a ramped barrel w fully supportive chamber !
Old March 28, 2014, 06:29 PM   #32
Mike_Fontenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNBama
Then I got that Smith .357, and...
What kind of Smith .357?

My S&W360sc (11oz ultralight scandium/titanium .357 snubby) is VERY painful to shoot with .357's, even with a shooting glove. And that's with Federal Hi-Shoks, which are a long way below full-spec .357 ... no way would I ever shoot full-spec .357 in that thing. But my S&W60-15 3" .357 all-steel JFrame is not too bad with the full-spec .357 ammo. It's about twice the weight of my 360sc, and about 2/3 or so of the weight of my 1911. The 360sc is nice to shoot with .38 (non+P) American Eagle's, though, especially after shooting a couple of the Federal .357's first.
Old March 28, 2014, 09:11 PM   #33
dakota1911

I picked up a DW Classic a couple years ago. It had barely been shot and was made in 2009. Nice little pistol. Sometimes you can find lightly shot used 10mm pistols owned by folk who do not reload.