The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2012, 10:12 PM   #26
tkglazie

That sounds like a good setup Mike38. My corner is on the opposite end of the house as our living room and my wife's office (we have no kids or grandkids) so I get the same privacy concentration. Solitude is a very important part of reloading, for me anyway (any you, it seems)
Old December 19, 2012, 10:37 PM   #27
A pause for the COZ

For the last couple of years I have been co opting my wife scrap booking room in the basement. She quit using it and was just storing her Cra... I mean scrap booking supplies down there. Apparently it was too cold for her.
Her loss is my gain.
I have just about completed the transformation.

Main bench area

Lube/ sizing area. With new addition of a Star sizer.

More storage

More Junk
Old December 19, 2012, 10:39 PM   #28
A pause for the COZ

More junk.

Powder magazine

Best addition has been this steel work bench, picked up at a yard sale for $20.

I have gone to drilling and tapping mounting holes for the bizarre bunch of presses I have begun to accumulate.
Guns where not enough. I like tools too.

Old December 19, 2012, 11:13 PM   #29
solocam72

HOLY COW!! What a setup A pause for the coz! I think its neat to hear from others and see how they operate there handloading. Its a hobby I started when I was 14 or 15 years old, I took it very serious from the start, when I say I've been loading for 25 years it makes me sound like an old man! LOL, WHICH I AM! Just turned 40, I work in woods as a production timber faller and have since my early 20s, KEEP EM COMING GUYS!
Old December 19, 2012, 11:21 PM   #30
GP100man

In my grandparents house . They`ve been gone for nearly 14yrs for GM & 31 for GF & he was a hunter/shooter , fed a family of 7 from the SevenCreeks Swamp & the Mitey Waccamaw River - - thru Hoover days !!!

I sit I wonder If he`s watching me sometimes , he would have loved reloading I`m sure !!!

It`s a 100yds from the house & in the perfect spot , no coverage on the cell !!
Old December 19, 2012, 11:26 PM   #31
joneb

I reload in my garage.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:27 PM   #32
rclark

In the basement, in my small work room.

A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:12 AM   #33
solocam72

Wish I could find a steel table like that for 20 bucks! Would work great to cut meat up on and hold my hobart meat grinder! I make a lot of summer sausage, pepperoni sticks, jerky, smokies, etc. Been searching for a good solid heavy duty table, probably end up building one to my specs.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:47 AM   #34
ROGER4314

My house is very small with only two bedrooms. A friend came over and we cleared out the smaller of the two bedrooms and that's where I put my reloading gear.

There is a 6 foot table where I work on small projects and my reloading bench has folding legs with about 36" square space. All of my reloading equipment is mounted on standardized bases that can be mounted to the table with bolts and wing nut fasteners. I can pull the table out and turn it to use any of the presses. There is a rollaway tool box to hold tools and goodies.

There are two Dillon RL 550b's and a Rock Chucker mounted there and after Christmas, a 12 gauge MEC 600jr will be in the fourth slot.

I have heat, good light, A/C, a ceiling fan and all presses are mounted so I can reload while seated in a big, leather office chair.

I like to play classical music when I load so there's a nice stereo.

I only keep powder and primers for what I'm currently loading so the rest of the supplies are in my barn away from the house.

Flash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reloading 2 9-12-2012.jpg (163.0 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by ROGER4314; December 20, 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:29 AM   #35
mohr308

I reload at my kitchen table!
Old December 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #36
schmellba99

I commandeered part of my master closet. My old house left me with a spare bedroom (pre kid #2). This house, while bigger and with a much better layout, didn't have the extra bedroom, but it does have a monster of a master closet. So I adapted and took part of it for my reloading area. It actually works out pretty nice.

Like all reloading benches, it's a work in progress and doesn't look the same today as when I took these pictures. All items except the LnL-AP are modular and can be moved to multiple different locations (or removed completely to allow a large clean bench) depending on what I'm doing at the time. I still tweak it occasionally, but it works pretty well overall.

Over the holidays I intend to add some shelves below the bench for ammo and component storage, along with another shelf or two above it to match the shelves that were already installed to utilize some space that is unusable right now.

Old December 20, 2012, 12:29 PM   #37
jimbob86

Usually at my bench, but since I also have a hand press, I have loaded hundreds and hundreds of rounds at picnic tables, on tailgates, shooting benches, my brother's coffee table ....
Old December 20, 2012, 07:47 PM   #38
solocam72

Schmellba99, NICE! You have definately put some time in building that setup!
Old December 20, 2012, 08:19 PM   #39
Jeff H

Small room I built in the basement. This is an 'in progress' construction photo from a few months ago but you get the general idea. The presses are on the high bench and the computer and other stuff is on the low top.

Old December 20, 2012, 11:25 PM   #40
solocam72

Jeff H, very nice! Good cabinet space and nice benches. If a guy puts his mind to it and uses a little creativity one can come up with a nice place to load, from indoors to outdoors, rooms built in rooms etc. Like I mentioned in the start of this thread about the friend of mine that has the doll house look alike building along side his house.
Old December 21, 2012, 12:24 AM   #41
A pause for the COZ

Rule#1 if the wife says ok... Start building.

Luckily I have plenty of room so spreading out is not a issue.

I am going to be helping a buddy make a movable loading bench on wheels
With storage.
That way he can move it from area to area. Our goal will be to have every thing needed into and onto this cart. Thinking 3 foot by 2 foot.
If it turns out to be some thing other than a futile waste of time. I will post some Pics.
Old December 21, 2012, 12:35 AM   #42
NUKE HUNTER

i reload in my attached garage, its not fancy, it is cramped,(i gotta alot of stuff) and its my favorite room in the house.
Old December 21, 2012, 12:42 AM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
That way he can move it from area to area. Our goal will be to have every thing needed into and onto this cart. Thinking 3 foot by 2 foot.
That is going ot have to be one heavy cart ..... case forming and collet neck sizing can take a bit of force ..... add a 2' lever onto that force ..... tip that bad boy over on your foot and I'll say I told you so!
Old December 21, 2012, 12:51 AM   #44
A pause for the COZ

I didn't say it would be easy. Getting tired of him complaining about space.... He has plenty by the way. he just wont commit to a specific location.

Hmmm maybe out riggers?
Old December 21, 2012, 01:01 AM   #45
jimbob86

My bro was telling me he did not have enough room to graduate from his handpress-in-a-shoe box set-up ..... I looked in his basement, found a disused corner, and amde a trip to Home Depot .... he has a bench that will survive the Apocalypse (isn't that tonight? ).....
Old December 21, 2012, 11:48 AM   #46
mississaugagunnut

Here is my setup

I set up a bench in a small room in my basement. I just started reloading this weekend. Don't tell the wife how much I spent, LOL.
So far I am just reloading 9mm but eventually I will do 45acp as well.

Old December 22, 2012, 05:49 PM   #47
aumuddy

Where do I reload?

In our office/bed room closet(4'x 8'), I have a built in bench. sliding doors. One side opens up the loading bench the other side for storage, The upper shelf holds powder. I use a fold up chair.
When both doors are closed you would assume it to be an ordinary closet.
Old December 22, 2012, 11:19 PM   #48
Don P

Turned the garage into a den and now have 360 sq.' of reloading space. A/C heat and good to go. Always between 60-80 deg.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:18 PM   #49
Crashbox

I reload in the basement on my free bench that was included with my $151K house.

I'm looking to add a second bench in the middle of the room, one just isn't enough any more (and I've only been at this for three years!)...
Old December 23, 2012, 10:45 PM   #50
GeauxTide

Air conditioned man cave in the basement.