The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2011, 11:31 AM   #1
TXGunNut

New RD Moulds!

My new 32 Special and 45-70 moulds just arrived from Ranch Dog Friday, sizers and handles are here too. 323-170 moulds are on sale and I've been lusting after the 460-350 moulds so it was time to pull the trigger. These join a 359-190 from RD that I've only tried once.
Only a few problems. It's raining so much I'm thinking I need decoys and steel shot to take advantage of the new duck pond where my front yard used to be. Another "problem" is I'm headed out for a 5-day hunt tomorrow morning and have another scheduled for the end of the month.
Hard to believe I'm looking forward to getting hunting season out of the way so I can focus on casting and load development for hunting rifles. Guess I better hide the shiny bits and get focused, these are management hunts and my freezer is looking a little bare.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old December 4, 2011, 03:40 PM   #2
grubbylabs

If I only had such problems.

I need to get some load development going for a few guns but the snow is quickly adding up.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old December 4, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3
TXGunNut

I know you're working on the CB 45-70 load for your 1895, what else are you working on?
Old December 4, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
grubbylabs

Well as you have read on the other site I am waiting for it to get back from the smith before I can work do any thing with it. I have some new powder for my 300 win that I have work up. I have found a good low speed powder for it, but to get the full benefit of the powder I am going to try some reloaded 22 and see if I can boost the speed and still get the groups I am now.

Plus I just got the other mold for my 45 auto. It is basically the same bullet I was shooting before, but I had Tom remove the shoulder. I suspect that there wont be much of a difference if any at all but I figured I would start over again any how.

Plus I still have a box of 50 150 grain soft points that I did to work up a load for my 308. They are all marked at what charge they are I just need to shoot them and see which ones perform.

I know I have it rough.

(Capt Charlie)
Old December 4, 2011, 11:38 PM   #5
TXGunNut

Not much help on those except that I'm pretty happy with the Lee 200 gr swc TL boolit for my .45's. I am intrigued by the RL powders, considered RL15 for my .30-06 when nothing else seemed to be working very well.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:38 AM   #6
grubbylabs

Well several folks on this and a few other forums recommended the reloader 22 for full house magnum loads in the 300 win. I started with 7828SSC and it does great but it does not push them very fast. I am only getting a little over 2,700fps with a 165 grain bullet. That is not much faster than my 308 that is pushing 2,600. I get nice little clover leaves with it so I am hoping it will work good with a cast bullet.

(Capt Charlie)
Old December 8, 2011, 11:30 PM   #7
TXGunNut

Finally got to cast w/ new moulds. Had a hard time getting the 32 up to temp and the 45-70 got too hot. Considering the different amounts of mould material and molten material I shoudn't be surprised. Got about 118 .32's and 70 45-70's. Sized, heat treated and lubed them tonight. Gas checks and another coat of lube tomorrow, may get to do a bit of shooting Sunday.