The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 26, 2000, 08:55 AM   #1
kraMrD

I just installed this quick bolt release on my 10/22 last night... the idea is that once the bolt is locked back, you can simply pull back on the bolt and it will automatically release forward instead of having to mess with the little release in front of the trigger guard.

The only problem is that I cant get it to work... it still functions just like the factory release... I still have to use the two handed technique to manually release it.

Anybody have any ideas how to correct this?

Thanks,

Mark
Old January 26, 2000, 10:46 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

I have installed one on my 10/22 and it works perfectly.

Be sure the assembly is free of binds and the black lever on the same pin is on the inside and is also free to move.

Looking down on the trigger group as it faces forward, the bent finger of the spring on the right should be on top of and in the notch of the lever on the assb. pointing to the right. The straight finger of the spring should be under the same pin that holds the release assb. in place.

Without eyeballing it myself, that's about the best I can do.
Old January 26, 2000, 01:07 PM   #3
XDIVER1

I'm having same problem with a friends gun,
only thing that I can figue out is that the
spring is worn out. Going to swap that out tommorrow night and see if that does the job.

Jim

Let me know if this helps you or if you come up with something else.

Old January 26, 2000, 03:38 PM   #4
kraMrD

I posted the same message on AR15.com... another individual said that some minor fitting was required but couldnt remember where... and someone else said that you can also simply grind off the little bump in that oblong shaped hole and make the factory release a quick release yourself...

I ordered volquartsens as I wanted a stainless one to match my receiver...

Oh well, I'll play with it tonight.
BTW, I love my new extended mag release... it truly makes my mags drop free now with a simple push forward.

M.
Old January 26, 2000, 03:52 PM   #5
DMSC

I've them in two 10/22's and they both required nothing more than "drop-in" installation.
Old January 27, 2000, 08:40 AM   #6
kraMrD

I got it figured out! Its the cheapo Eagle Arms extended mag release... this $4.95 piece of plastic needs to be modified a little as the bolt release is getting caught up on it.

Thanks for all the adice,

Mark