The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Worc

Steyr L9-A1 range report

Got some trigger time with my Steyr L9-A1 today. Took my son and nephew along and blew through 250 rounds. The L9-A1 had 150 rounds go through it and the other hundred were divided up among four other 9’s.

Most of those 150 rounds were shoot at a distance form 7 to 10 yards. While shooting in the beginning I paid more attention to how the was ejecting, the amount of muzzle flip, and the trigger reset. We used four different magazines, two of the 17 rounders that came with the gun and two M9 15 rounders that I picked up for about $25.00 each. We used all 115gr FMJ’s from Federal, Magtech, and PMC.
There were zero malfunctions of any kind and brass was ejected to the right with authority and consistency. Muzzle flip was low as I expected based off shooting several M-A1’s in 9mm and .40 S&W. I’m not recoil sensitive by any stretch of the imagination. Recoil and muzzle flip was identical to my Sig 226 even though the L9 is quite a bit lighter in weight. I even made a point of asking the boys their thoughts on the matter and they thought the same thing. We shoot all the guns in the same order with the L9 first followed by the 226 next.

I also asked them their thoughts on the feel of the grips. They both like the HK P-30 and Walther PPQ M1 about the same followed by the L9 and then the 226. They thought the S&W 439 (my dad’s) was just ok. My son is a lefty, so it’s always interesting to get his perspective as a “Backwards Shooter”. My view is pretty close to theirs. I like the 226 the best followed by the P-30/PPQ and then the L9. With my weak (left) hand only, I’m right there with the boys. One of these days I’ll switch out the W German grips for an E2 to improve the weak hand feel. I find all four of my 9’s to have comfortable grips and good control layouts. I’d prefer all of my guns to have paddle style ambi mag releases ala HK/Walther.

The L9 has a great trigger. I think only the Walther PPQ’s is in the same league for polymer striker guns. It has a very light, short, and smooth take up. It breaks very clean at less than five pounds. The reset is short at about 3/16”. The reset could be more tactile. It’s on the quite side, but I could feel it when I rode the trigger forward. Once reset, there was zero take up much like the Sig SRT.

Accuracy was above average and right there with the 226, PPQ, and P-30. Not surprising as the M-A1’s that I’ve shoot were all very accurate as well. The trap sights were no problem going back between the others or at any distance we shoot at (7 to 15 yards).

This L9 has got to be one of the hardest guns to cock. It seems to have a lot of spring tension and I’m sure it will loosen up with more use. I’m leaving it in the safe with the slide locked back and I’ll be doing some more dry firing and racking the slide. Quality is very good on this model and I like the front serrations. I also like the way this gun looks although that’s lower on my list priorities.
This gun fits my holsters that I currently have. That would include an older Eagle (similar to their newer SAS MK6), Bulldog Extreme #8, and N82 Original (tight fit).

This gun is fun to shoot. It shoots very accurately at speed thanks to its low muzzle flip and great trigger reset. It would make great range gun, night stand, or as a duty sidearm. It’s on the long side for CC for my liking. If you don’t mind CC something like a Sig 226, Glock 17, HK P-30L, etc. then it would be fine too.

Here’s my last target of the day. It was my 315 drill where I shoot 15 rounds at 15 yards under 15 seconds. The bottom right was done with the 226 with only 7 rounds since those were that last ones of the day I wanted some kind of comparison. When I shot these I just paid attention to my sights and the target.
Old April 13, 2014, 09:38 PM   #2
HawkeyeNRAlifer

A nice looking and shooting gun you have there. I've always like the look the the Steyr, just haven't got around to buying one. I was looking at one yesterday at the gun show, but I'm trying to transition into fewer guns and don't think I'll buy any more guns.

But I've said that before.
Old April 14, 2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Worc

Yes, thanks. From my experience these newer Steyr's are inherently accurate.
Not the best site to hang around if you are trying to cut back on you firearms collection or having buying issues. Horrible support group around here!

I did make a mistake with the above Sigs group. I said it was 7 shots, but was really 8.

One other thing to mention for those that may not know, is that the Steyr's have a metal chassis/insert much like a Sig 250. I like this system better than just having the slide pads molded into the frame. The Steyr's slide pads are also pretty beefy compared to what you find on most polymer guns.

I have enough confidence in L9 that I took it out into the woods as my side arm while scouting for the upcoming turkey season. Plus I new it'd be really wet out there and I would rather have the L9 accidently dunked than my 226 or any of my other models. Total breakdown would have been easier on the L9 than the others.
Old April 14, 2014, 05:10 PM   #4
hodaka

Thanks for the review. I am struggling between the L9 Steyr and a Walther PPQ. I don't think one will go wrong with either. I really like my S9-A1 but want to add something larger for competition.
Old April 14, 2014, 07:56 PM   #5
PP99

Thanks for your review!
Old April 15, 2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Worc

Sure thing, hopefully it's somewhat useful to someone.

The Steyr L/M -A1's and Walther PPQ are both very good choices at the top of the striker market. Short version wise, I would sum them up head to head as to; Steyr has less recoil and the PPQ is fully ambidextrous (especially the M1) and the grip is adjustable.