The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
jhabers

Anyone have the round lee die boxes and lee turret press

I just bought 3 of these boxes to store my different turrets for my Lee Turret press. One of the boxes the turret with dies fit perfectly. The other 2 the turrets won’t fit. I can force them in but they get stuck and I have a hell of a time getting the turret out.

The one that fits fine the lip of the turret sits right on the edge of the die box when it’s flipped over. The other 2 I can just get the turret started into the box but it’s like the box it tapered and if I push further into the box it just gets tighter and tighter.

Anyone have these that can comment? I emailed Lee and am waiting to hear back

Thanks!

Jonathan
Old January 1, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Sevens

Flip over the base of the die box and the turret sits right in there and you can still put the lid on.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
testuser

The round storage boxes fit the 3 hole turrets best. I originally had a 3 hole turret and then upgraded to the 4 hole Lee Classic Turret. I just converted the classic to take 3 hole turrets, it's pretty cheap to do. I believe the parts can be had at midway or from lee.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
jhabers

Thanks for the replies guys and happy New year. Pictures speak a thousand words. The first picture shows how one of the boxes fit my turret. I am assuming this is how they are suppose to fit.

The second picture is die box 2 and 3 with the same turret in it. Notice that it won't go all the way in. I can force it in but it gets stuck in there and took me about 15 min to get it out.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1357071832587.jpg (43.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1357071847878.jpg (37.2 KB, 113 views)
Old January 1, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Sevens

Ha ha, yep, I was thinking 3-hole turrets since that's what I use. Sorry.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:18 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

The round storage "boxes" I have cannot fit the turret as your pictures show at all. There is a 1" diameter tube in the way (in mine, purchased in 2010). The inside diameter of the tube is just the right size to fit the sizing die (barely) or the case-mouth belling (easier), so putting the turret (with dies installed) into the round box UPSIDE DOWN seems like the intended fit. I drop the shell holder in first.

The top of the die box goes on without any trouble at all.

No troubles.

If Lee does not have a solution (which would surprise me if they didn't), a 4" diameter section of PVC plumbing (drain) pipe should do, as the turret is just a little bit over 3" in diameter.

Lost Sheep
Old January 2, 2013, 09:18 AM   #7
bugmania

I have 4 of them. Three fit perfectly and one is too small, just like yours. I still use it since the lid still goes on, but sometimes it's a pain to get the turret out.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Don P

Same problem here, I cured it with the good old Dremel using the sanding bands on a sanding drum , http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=407

Got all 6 turrets to fit nice.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:14 PM   #9
5R milspec

Take a 3" hole saw and make one.I just made a pistol station in my room.For one shelf I took a 3" hole saw and drilled out places spaced out just right to hold 6 or 8 die heads.Will soon get some one to make little covers for the heads I have to help keep them dust free.Just be careful when sanding the hole out smooth,the 3" hole saw is already a little big.You can even add counter top to make it look better.

works really great for me,all I do is turn one out then change and place the unwanted head to its place on the shelf

I'll tyr and put a pic up for ya later
Old January 2, 2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Where did you sand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
Same problem here, I cured it with the good old Dremel using the sanding bands on a sanding drum,
Got all 6 turrets to fit nice.
You might save someone a bit of grief if you specified whether you sanded on the inside of the round plastic "box" or on the outside of the aluminum turret, or both.

It may seem obvious to you but leaving any detail of your instruction out is a potential stumbling block for those who follow you.

Thanks for your post. Thankfully, my die boxes it just fine.

Lost Sheep
Old January 5, 2013, 05:14 PM   #11
jhabers

Lee contacted me back and are sending me replacement. Great customer service !

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old January 5, 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
Don P

Quote:
You might save someone a bit of grief if you specified whether you sanded on the inside of the round plastic "box" or on the outside of the aluminum turret, or both.

It may seem obvious to you but leaving any detail of your instruction out is a potential stumbling block for those who follow you.
Normally I would roll right by this response. Anyone stupid enough the Dremel the turret to make it fit in the red round box has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS RELOADING THERE OWN AMMO.....PERIOD.......
TELLS ME THAT PERSON HAS ZERO COMMON SENSE.....
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 6, 2013, 01:27 AM   #13
Lost Sheep

I meant no offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P
Quote:

Normally I would roll right by this response. Anyone stupid enough the Dremel the turret to make it fit in the red round box has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS RELOADING THERE OWN AMMO.....PERIOD.......
TELLS ME THAT PERSON HAS ZERO COMMON SENSE.......

Lost Sheep
Old January 6, 2013, 11:47 AM   #14
rdmallory

Quote:
I originally had a 3 hole turret and then upgraded to the 4 hole Lee Classic Turret. I just converted the classic to take 3 hole turrets,
Never knew you could got from a 4 to a 3. I need to do this to save having to advance by hand when I am loading sized and primed brass.