The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2000, 07:56 PM   #1
ChrisR

I recently started reloading this cartridge, but the only powder in town
that is suitable that I could find was Win 231. Does anyone have any
recommened loads? At the moment I have 155 gr jacketed and RN lead
projectiles. In the absence of any tips I will simply try the
recommened starting load of 5.0 gr for these projectiles which should
hopefully be well within safety margins.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old April 10, 2000, 06:16 PM   #2
alan

At the very least, check with a Winchester booklet for recommended loads. 231 is a fast burner, so I would expect it would be used for less than full power loads, however this is just a guess. CHECK RELOADING MANUALS, as mentioned AT LEAST A WINCHESTER BOOKLET, usually available for the asking.
Old April 11, 2000, 01:41 AM   #3
ChrisR

Ok, I've cranked out a few rounds with 5.0 gr 231 with 155 gr RN moly coated lead projectiles. This should be OK as an indicator. Starting loads vary from 4.9-5.1 gr in the reloading books I have. I think Winchester suggest 5.0.
Cheers,
Chris.
Old April 11, 2000, 07:44 AM   #4
Sport45

http://www.winchester.com/reloader/index.html Download the Winchester Reloader's Manual. You'll find the 40S&W data on page 23 6.0gr max 231 for 155gr JHP. BTW, why are you still shooting the S&W round? Kidding!
Old April 13, 2000, 10:52 PM   #5
racine

I sure hope you have a fully supported chamber for those bullets. I started reloading with the 40SW and 231 also and started doing a literature search to locate a cause for the 'kaboom' phenomena. What I have gathered from numerous articles is that pairing a high pressure round such as the 40SW with a fast powder can become a recipe for disaster especially in semiautos with unsupported chambers! I am not an experienced reloader by any means ( only done this since 97) but I did shoot a Glock 23 and then a 35( unsupported chambers)and noticed quite a bit of case bulging. So it seems the recipe for disaster is 40SW pressures, FAST powders like 231, lead bullets ( in uncleaned breech causes lead buildup pushing the cartridge out further from the breech exposing more of the web of the brass and multiple reloads on old brass ( > 6 ). I shoot IPSC and have to shoot major power/ hot loads in 40 to make major. When I asked around to the A/master class shooters shooting Glock 40's they appreciated my same concerns and suggested I reload shells 6X max, go to slow powders ( I now use VV340), and go to full length brass sizing which I do. Since I have switched to the slower powder I have already noticed much less bulging on my cases with the same power factor. Next I will go to an aftermarket barrel like the Barsto to fully support the cartigde.
Keep the 231 for 45 ACP but go slow with the 40. Good luck and stay safe...
TR

------------------
TR
Old April 14, 2000, 02:15 AM   #6
ChrisR

Sport45: Yeah, I guess its the 40 Liberty round or something similar now is'nt it ? As a shooter I care about all the gun/anti guns issues, though I'm in New Zealand and we never had any ancestors to create the kind of freedom you currently enjoy. I'm doing my best to keep what little 'rights' we have left though .

Racine: The pistol these loads are to be fired in is a ParaOrdance which has a fully supported chamber and handles lead bullets very well unlike the Glock. I know one dude who uses lead in his G19 and the bullets tend to fly anywhere except the point of aim. Since I'm using the listed starting load I will be very suprised if something goes wrong :O. I've actually heard a lot of good things about Win 231 and the 40 'lib', accurate, clean burning etc. Hopefully I'll have a chance to test these loads tomorrow.