The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 2009, 05:18 PM   #1
lemming303

Good lighter, crisp trigger for AR?

I have a Bushmaster Varminter I use for Coyote hunting. I'm working up test loads for it and I have a real problem with how heavy the trigger is. I need a new trigger, but I don't who's to buy or if I should just take it in and get a trigger job. I have a 1.5 lb Timney on my Remington 700 30-06 and I love that trigger. Thanks for the help yall.
Old July 3, 2009, 01:57 AM   #2
10-96

Personally, I would pass on getting a trigger job done. The way I understand it, the way they are made the hardening on the parts is very thin and any slicking up with get through the hardened area and you will find a rapidly wearing trigger that will fail much sooner than anything else out there.

Geisel (sp?), Jewell, Timney, CMMG, Rock River all make good triggers- but I'm not for certain who all makes one go in the 1.5lb ballpark.
I can't believe you're not tickled with the factory trigger in your Varminter- mine is one of the better triggers I have. How much do you think it pulls at?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old July 3, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Casimer

You can get a Geissele down to that weight, and they're excellent triggers, but they're not cheap.

http://www.geissele.com/
Old July 3, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
rocket12

something dosen't sound right, you should already have a light trigger' Bushmaster Two Stage Competition Trigger with 3.5 lb. pull 1st stage and 1 lb. let-off (2nd stage)
Old July 3, 2009, 11:49 PM   #5
lemming303

No, its a single stage trigger, and heavy. It feels just like a military trigger like the ones on Marine Corps' M16s. I haven't put a gauge to it, but it is pretty heavy. I don't really need a 1.5 lb trigger, but something around 2.5 or 3 would be much better than what it is now.
Old July 4, 2009, 07:26 AM   #6
rocket12

if you bought it new,it has a two stage trigger in it http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...VMS24FVAR9.asp
Old July 8, 2009, 02:22 PM   #7
ForneyRider

You have to decide between a 2 stage or 1 stage.

Some of the 2 stage can be tuned to where it feels like a 1 stage.

A National Match trigger is 4.5 lbs and is a standard for some shooting match disciplines. They can be tricked up in other areas, like reset, smoothness, etc. Bushmaster, Rock River, Colt and others offer these.

Timney makes a single stage of various pull weights that is a drop-in for $200.

Shooting the stock trigger a lot and stretching the springs some will smooth it out.

I bought some JP Rifles springs and am pretty satisfied for 10$.

Geisselle, and others, make 300$+ triggers that are very light.

I have a Timney on my PH 1200, and was told by several that a semi-auto trigger will never be close to it.