The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 12, 2014, 11:33 AM   #1
noelf2

Pro-gun bumper stickers

This subject has come up a time or three on TFL and I had argued that it's not a good idea to put pro-gun stickers on your vehicle. Appears that my concern is really valid. Thieves are targeting vehicles with pro-gun stickers parked near gun free zones (they figured it out...).

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/thieve...n-free-zones/#

I also think it's possible for dishonest anti's to call the police on someone with a sticker and claim they brandished a gun and pointed it at them. How do you defend against that?
Old August 12, 2014, 11:46 AM   #2
BarryLee

I’ve never really been fan of any stickers on my car I even remove dealer applied emblems, so never really been an issue for me. However, it does seem it invites trouble not just robbery, but also vandalism. Many of our supposedly peace loving opponents can actually be quite dangerous, so why take a chance.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 12, 2014, 12:06 PM   #3
A400 Fan

I stopped putting NRA decals, and ones from all of the other hunting orgs I once belonged to on my car, let alone these ones you see now (like the fake bullet holes or the stop honking, I'm reloading stuff). Not even a Buckmark. No one's business but my own
Old August 12, 2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Unlicensed Dremel

I've got one car with them, and one without them. Regardless, the guns are secure if left behind in either. Never a "loose" gun. It's a LOT easier to get in the car than it is to take the gun. I won't be removing my pro-gun shtick on the one.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:16 PM   #5
madmo44mag

On the windshield at the "A" pillar are my NRA, TRA,GOA stickers.
I never leave guns in my vehicle.
I don't operate under fear.
Our society is filled with fear of one thing or another.
I got tired of being afraid long ago.
I pay insurance premiums to cover damages from break in's and such.
If an anti wants to call in some BS it has to be proven I am guilty.
Some will say why take the chance.
To them I say you operate in fear.
Fear is a powerful tool used against us every day from all angles.
Old August 12, 2014, 01:59 PM   #6
noelf2

Quote:
I never leave guns in my vehicle.
Do you always carry? If so, what do you do when you go to the post office, court house, etc?

Quote:
I don't operate under fear.
Our society is filled with fear of one thing or another.
I got tired of being afraid long ago.
What fear are you talking about? Fear of car getting keyed, or window broken? If that's what you mean, I think fear may not be the right emotion. If you mean fear of your life because you have stickers, then I don't think any of us normal folk have that fear.

Quote:
I pay insurance premiums to cover damages from break in's and such.
I have deductibles. Do you? Would a break in or two change your mind about the stickers? Would me.

Quote:
If an anti wants to call in some BS it has to be proven I am guilty.
Some will say why take the chance.
To them I say you operate in fear.
Nothing really has to be proven, and in a lot of cases, the liar wins. Still, you would be arrested, have your gun removed from your possession, go to court to try to prove you aren't lying, and it still comes down to you vs them. The sticker is just one strike against you IMHO, and gives the liar the advantage.

Quote:
Fear is a powerful tool used against us every day from all angles.
Still I think "fear" is not the right emotion here. I don't have stickers on my car, and I don't operate in fear either. Worry (even a little) to me isn't fear. We all have worries every day. Why add to them when you don't have to?

Last edited by noelf2; August 12, 2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Sevens

What I have noticed lately are the proliferation of logo-type gun related vehicle stickers that don't specifically always spell out what they are, but if you happen to be a gun crank and are deeply involved with guns & gear of all flavors, you spot one of the stickers and you recognize it and then you see another on the same vehicle and it look familiar and etc.

One example, just because I saw this one a couple days ago is the very plain logo for an XD pistol. No "Springfield", no "9mm", no "COLD DEAD HANDS" rant, just a very plain looking XD logo in the familiar style.

If you don't know guns, you would have no idea what that logo indicates.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:42 PM   #8
madmo44mag

noelf2:

If going some place that disallows CCW I do not carry.
This is a very rare occurrence for me.
Those are dedicated trips.
Yes I carry when ever it is legal to do so.

People are more "worried" is the word you use and that one way of putting it.
You can not allow your "Worries" to dictate your actions, beliefs or values.
Too many people these day worry themselves to death and miss to many opportunities in life because they are worried of could happen.

I have deductibles too but I don't worry about them.
Get caught breaking into or damaging my property and the penalty could be more than you bargained for.

Quote:
Nothing really has to be proven, and in a lot of cases, the liar wins. Still, you would be arrested, have your gun removed from your possession, go to court to try to prove you aren't lying, and it still comes down to you vs them. The sticker is just one strike against you IMHO, and gives the liar the advantage.
The quote above IMO has a lot to do with the state you live in and the laws that govern CCW.
Here in Texas the laws are written to support CCW holders not restrict or hinder their defense.
And once again why worry about it.

I DO NOT advocate stickers like “Keep Honking I’m Reloading” and such.
This is the wrong message IMHO and show a very distinct mindset that in court would be almost impossible to defend.

You make valid points and my point is simply do not operate or let fear or "worries" dictate your life.

Yes bad things happen to good people but life is to short to worry about what may happen.

Let me ask this in regards to property damage and false witness statements.
How do you feel non Obama supporters feel about cars with Obama stickers?
How do you think people that do not support gay rights feel when they see a gay sticker?
Same logic!
Same things could happen.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:53 PM   #9
KyJim

Quote:
I also think it's possible for dishonest anti's to call the police on someone with a sticker and claim they brandished a gun and pointed it at them. How do you defend against that?
You place pro-gun stickers on their cars when parked near gun-free zones, of course.

Okay, we obviously don't sanction that sort of stuff here on TFL. I'm not sure this is really a very valid concern. I've not heard of that happening.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Ozzieman

Going to a grocery store a couple of days after columbine I went to get in my car and some woman started yelling at me calling me a baby killer.
All I had was an NRA sticker on my car.
I smiled at her and told her to have a nice day and drove off.
I will not change the way I live my life because of what others think. I promote gun ownership every day and if some piece of crap wants to break into my car he won’t get a gun and that’s what I have insurance for.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 12, 2014, 04:48 PM   #11
HiBC

I drive an old,paid for vehicle I can work on.Its transportation,not a billboard.

I do not carry comprehensive insurance,I carry liability.

IMO,which I am entitled to,any slogan I would consider posting,including firearms related ,would be in the theme of Conservative,law abiding ,Constitutional activity.

In some cases,that might inspire a radical,emotional,irrational,immature coward punk to attack my vehicle.

I lose,and for what? My vehicle can be incognito.

I can advocate for Constitutional Freedom via dialogue.Rational,non-emotional dialogue.

I can advocate for RTKBA by safe,responsible shooting activity.

I do not think a bumper sticker changes anyones mind.

But,you do whatever makes you happy.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:15 PM   #12
Glockstar .40

Hibc I don't think it's so much using a bumper sticker to change someone's mind but the more something is advertised the more it's accepted. ( not necessarily liked by all but accepted by the majority)
Old August 12, 2014, 05:16 PM   #13
Skans

I don't have any bumper stickers on my car. However, I do like seeing other vehicles with pro-gun bumper stickers.

When I'm retired and working 100% for myself, driving around in a beat-up 1957 pickup truck, I'll have all the gun bumper stickers that I deny myself today.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:31 PM   #14
TXAZ

Like Skans, I don't advertise on my car, including the dealership where purchased.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 12, 2014, 05:46 PM   #15
SHE3PDOG

Like TXAZ, I even remove the dealer license plate border from my car as soon as I get it home. Unfortunately, I have a DOD decal. I hate it because I try to keep my car free of anything associating me with...anything.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 12, 2014, 10:49 PM   #16
horselips

NO STICKERS on my vehicles. They ask you about that when you get called for jury duty. I like jury duty. It's fun and I always learn something. Window and bumper stickers can get you sent home if counsel for either side has a problem with them. So, to help me get empaneled, I encourage everybody else to cover their cars with fundamentalist religious and radical-extremist political bumper stickers. Thanks for your cooperation.
Old August 12, 2014, 10:58 PM   #17
OnTheFly

I had some stickers on my Suburban. No one tried to break in, but they did peal most of the stickers off while my wife was in the store. This was shortly after one of the mass shootings, so someone was trying to save the world. I wish we could have figured out who it was and sent the police after them. I haven't replaced the stickers per my wife's request.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old August 12, 2014, 11:07 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

A co-worker got his car keyed one night in his own driveway, only car on the block. He figures his presidential election bumper sticker is what goaded it.

I've always figured bumper stickers and decals are like giving someone and everyone your opinion before they ask for it. Just bad manners in my book.

I'll never put a gun-related sticker on my car or house. It may be meaningless, but it's telling anyone within sight distance there is probably a firearm or an armed man inside. I'm not willing to telegraph that to the world to act upon as an opportunity or a threat to someone.

The cops can see my CCW if they pull me over, that's who needs to know and when they need to know it.
Old August 13, 2014, 08:15 AM   #19
noelf2

madmo44mag:
So I'm confused by what appears to me to be contradictory:

Quote:
Yes I carry when ever it is legal to do so.
and
Quote:
You can not allow your "Worries" to dictate your actions, beliefs or values.
Why do you carry if you do no allow yourself to worry about what might happen during your day? I understand (because I carry too) that the gun becomes a part of getting dressed. I don't constantly worry about being mugged, shot, beat up, etc., but I did start carrying initially because I had a worry. Didn't you? Is the following not true?

1. You worried
2. You carry
3. Now you don't worry as much.

I don't worry about my car being keyed for any reason, or my windows busted out so a thief can steal the contents, but I don't advertise a probability for success on my vehicles. To me, putting a sticker on a vehicle creates a worry where one didn't exist. Here's how I see it.

1. I didn't worry
2. I put stickers on my car
3. I worry a little

Just doesn't make sense, IMHO, to create worry.
Old August 13, 2014, 08:36 AM   #20
jasmith85

I do not put gun related stickers on my car. The only sticker on my car is my college parking lot pass. Its not that I fear people doing something to my car. I just think that bumper stickers are the tackiest accessory a car can have. Although I will admit I liked the one I saw a few weeks ago that said "I'm not speeding. I have to poop."
Old August 13, 2014, 08:54 AM   #21
madmo44mag

noelf2:

I carry where it is legal to do so.
Places such as the post office, hospitals, schools, ect. I do not carry.
These are dedicated trips to and from no stops in between.

I was a victim of violent crime some years ago.
I got some training and started carrying and stopped worrying.

The only real worries I have today are when will I find another 10lb jug of powder - LOL!!!!

You have made your point and maybe missed mine but that OK
Old August 13, 2014, 09:59 AM   #22
noelf2

No I understand your point. If it's something you want to do (and it's legal), do it, and don't concern yourself about consequences that are probably very remote at best. If something bad comes of it... C'est la vie
Old August 13, 2014, 10:20 AM   #23
g.willikers

No stickers on our cars.
Why advertise and invite trouble?
Besides thieves and the political retards, there's also the possibility of police trouble.
I have thought of putting some stickers on my old pickup, though.
And putting an empty gun case inside, with one of those pop up fake rattlesnakes in it.
It'd definitely need a small video camera aimed at the case, though, for instant Youtube fame.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:27 AM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Today's world, I'd worry about some anti-gun idiot keying my paint if some pro-gun decal were on the car. And, as a maybe, some dude breaking a window to hunt for the "gun under the seat".
Old August 13, 2014, 11:11 AM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

In Austin, there were some break-ins targeted at NRA sticker cars a few years ago.

Another nasty was that when the CHL instructor classes were held, the instructors had to leave their guns in the car for the class. Then the cars were broken into for the guns. That rule was changed.

Anyone can be offended by a sticker. At work, someone had a Darwin fish car vandalized. A genius defended the vandalism on our internal chat as offending their religion. That was called a clue.