The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 4, 2012, 11:50 AM   #1
bigbird49

Citori XT Trap Unsingle Combo

Does anyone on this site have a Citori XT Trap Unsingle Combo? How do you like it? What are the pros and cons?

Dick
Old January 4, 2012, 01:39 PM   #2
BigJimP

I do not have one ....but I've fired a number of them / and there isn't anything wrong with the concept. Whether it works for you personally or not ...is a matter of weight, swing characteristics...and how you like it.

Personally for Trap singles - and doubles or Continental (where you can load 2 shells) ...I choose to shoot the same gun ( Citori XT Trap with adj comb in 32" barrels) ...and I don't see any downside in shooting the O/U for singles / or needing the single barrel option. I do have a stand alone single barrel - a BT-100 ...and I like it / but I shoot the XT's better. Mostly because I like the extra weight and feel of the XT over the BT-100 or the newer BT-99.

I know Browning has a lot of options 30", 32" on O/U and 32" or 34" on unsingle ....and I think list price on the 32" / 34" option is around $ 6,000 with street price around here, for new guns, at around $ 5,500 ...

I'm not a big Trap shooter ....but most serious Trap shooters get a little superstitous about their guns ...( and if they shoot the O/U well --- the unsingle may never come out of the case ).../ but I think a lot of Trap shooters will tell you they like the idea of the Combo.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
sweetshot

I don't own one either, and use a citori lightning for doubles and a BT99 for singles. A good friend and trap teammate just bought a new unsingle combo Cynergy trap last spring and I got to shoot it several times with the single barrel on it. I didn't miss, and that was with no adjustments to the gun for my own body type. I really did like it. He has not used the O/U barrels yet. Another team member has an XT Trap O/U, and I've hit well with that one too. I've been contemplating going to an O/U XT for all my trap, but I love the BT99 and am also considering a new or used skeet O/U, so I likely will spend another year shooting both guns for trap singles and double. I believe Big Jim is right, though, about shooting just one gun for both, as the feel is consistent for balance and weight. The combo part gives you the same mount for either single barrel or double barrel, but you would still need to consider weighting the single barrel to give it the same balance as the O/U. (I don't know if the combo guns come out of the box weighted to be the same....that's a good question for another thread!)
Old January 4, 2012, 02:17 PM   #4
zippy13

I don't have a Browning, but I do have a trap combo and I like the concept. You can shoot just about anything at 16-yards; but, back at 27-yards the long barreled single is king. The only time I use the O/U barrel is for shooting trap doubles.
Old January 4, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Gehrhard

I used to shoot a Beretta unsingle 34" (30" Double). Wonderful arms set and a good deal at the time, relatively. I pretty much change guns annually to keep me humble but you can't go wrong if you shoot trap singles. Realize, however, you cannot use it for any other purpose ever. And if you aren't going to shoot doubles or go to the o/u than the combo isn't worth it.

The straighter line of the unsingle is very nice. But they are a little unusual and if singles trap isn't your thing, maybe stay away.

I have migrated to a hefty special edition nickel steel laminated BT-99 from a beautiful pair of Charles Daily Miroku traps: a premium topsingle 34" (I bought for my brother-in-law who rejected it, unseen, and stopped talking to me after he saw it and I explained, sorry, it was now my current primary competition gun) and an o/u 30" trap double. Browning "makes" a nice gun.

Last edited by Gehrhard; January 4, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old January 5, 2012, 09:57 PM   #6
bigbird49

ZIPPY13

What combo do you shoot? What are the pros and cons?

Dick
Old January 5, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
zippy13

Dick, it's a Beretta 682x with a Shock Master recoil reduction system. I don't know what you consider the pros and cons, I prefer Italian guns over Japanese. My single is the upper barrel. Next time I'd do a bottom barrel single on the combo.