The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 24, 2014, 05:45 PM   #26
gyvel

Partially my fault for being gullible, but also for the lying SOB that sold me the item.

Many years ago when I was first on eBay, I bought a Belgian barrel for an A5 Browning from a guy in Utah (religion shall go unnamed).

The liar told me that it was a factory new barrel that he had gotten from an employee at Browning.

I sniped it at the last second and got it for $175.00. When I received it, it was obvious that not only had it been reblued, but somebody had jammed something square into the bore, leaving four score marks. I told the seller about it, and the seller refused to take it back. This was before eBay had any sorts of protection for buyers.

I freely admit that I am to blame for my gullibility and for taking someone else's word and buying something sight unseen, but that scumbag latter day thief was about as dishonest as they come.
SIFE
Old August 24, 2014, 05:47 PM   #27
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
A gun shop sold me a Walther P22 once. Does that count?
A gun shop also had the unmitigated gall to sell me an AMT Govt. model, as well. Bastards!
Old August 24, 2014, 06:32 PM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevens
Couldn't you possibly imagine a scenario where is it was not just you that got tricked by the altered gun, but the shop owner had gotten tricked as well?
I could possibly imagine such a scenario, but in this case (for a multitude of reasons) I don't believe that's what happened. There were several things during the purchase process that set my Spidey sense tingling, but I was in love with the gun so I ignored my intuition. I should know better.
Old August 24, 2014, 09:42 PM   #29
ranchito457

Quote:
As the shop owns the item, I fully back their right to price it at -ANY- number they wish and I truly believe that with a smile, but to waste a potential customer's time and energy for a snotty little exercise like that, I'd really want to place a flaming bag of poo on their "Welcome" mat. That tale just plain annoys me.
I like the idea of the poo and mat!!lol

Last edited by ranchito457; August 24, 2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old August 25, 2014, 07:28 AM   #30
Skans

Quote:
About a year and several thousands of dollars were spent on attorney fees recovering moneys frozen in my paypal account,
I will take heed and make a note to self for when I start liquidating some of my guns: Postal Money Orders and wired funds only. Oh, and I think I'll incorporate a very short agreement in my gunbroker ad that makes the forum for any disputes my own state.
Old August 25, 2014, 03:10 PM   #31
Nathan

"Rip off" is not a matter of price alone with 2 willing parties. Rip off is when one party has information that the other party is not privy to and they fail to disclose it.

If you buy a gun on pictures and it has undisclosed rust under the grip or another issue, you could claim ripped off.

Or perhaps a seller paid retail minus a damage estimate and then makes an emotional claim about losing money while really making $75....rip off.

If we're both looking at/shooting your Glock and you ask $500, I offer $400 and we agree at $475, there is no rip off, even if I see them all-day-long at $400. I conceded price.

If you have a lowest prices guaranteed and won't match an Internet retailer with shipping and transfer, are you lying?

I have never been ripped off in a gun deal, but I did give up a lever action 30-30 about $100 cheap that still hurts to think about!
Old August 26, 2014, 05:01 AM   #32
OkieCruffler

I once ran an ad to trade a pistol I had for 2 contender barrels. A rather well thought of custom barrel maker contacted me and said he was interested. If I would send him the pistol he would make me two barrels of my choosing. It would take awhile to get the barrels but it seemed like a good idea. The first barrel I received looked okay but the bore wasn't aligned with the barrel blank. He didn't make the barrel blank so it wasn't his fault but if you looked at the barrel it was pretty apparent. I've never received the second barrel and that was over 7 years ago. I would speak with him from time to time about other things and he would always say, "Sorry, I still owe you that barrel". I'd see dozens of folks showing off their new barrels they had received from him on various forums for years after.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:32 AM   #33
huntinaz

Edit: Desisting.

Last edited by huntinaz; August 26, 2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:36 AM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Religion is explicitly and completely OFF-TOPIC. Desist.
Old August 27, 2014, 10:06 PM   #35
Flintlock Tom

Many years ago, early 80s, I was with a friend in a local gun shop looking at SKSs. They had a whole rack of them, I think they were like $100 each. We were the only customers in the store and I could see the counter guy watching us and listening.
We went through just about all of them and I commented that they all seemed to have the cleaning kits still in the stock. We left without buying, my friend wanted to check with his wife and get some cash.
We went back the next day and discovered that none of the guns had cleaning kits, but the kits were for sale at the counter for $10.
I guess there was nothing underhanded here, a vendor just re-arranging his merchandise.
Old August 27, 2014, 10:49 PM   #36
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
There is no such thing as a "rip-off" in a Free Market society.
As far as price, I agree but as far as quality I would say no.
Old August 28, 2014, 04:17 AM   #37
Lokpyrite

It always makes me laugh when someone makes a voluntary purchase (especially on a non-necessity item) and then complains that they got ""ripped off".

There is no such thing as a "rip-off" in a Free Market society. You are not forced to make that purchase. That supplier is not your only option.

The buyers set the sale prices of all items. The sellers can only make suggestions. If no one is WILLING to pay the ASKING price, the item does not sell.

Buyers must WILLFULLY pay the price that is ASKED. If they do not, the sellers can not sell unless they lower the prices, something they will almost never do WILLINGLY but are forced by the buyers refusal to pay the ASKING price.

Paying more than the current market price for an item is a problem with one of two things. Either the buyer has failed to educate themselves on the item or they are in too much a a hurry and are WILLINGLY paying a premium to have the item immediately.

It's also amusing to me that a buyer who makes a purchase for far less than the market value of an item is always very pleased with themselves and will brag it up but never admits to "ripping off" the seller.

While your response my be true for this particular post, there ARE rip offs, specifally when there are lies or misrepresentation.
Old August 28, 2014, 05:50 AM   #38
Bennyfatsack

Never really rationalised sales as well as you just did, very valid point, a bargin I suppose is all proportional to the want/desire/satisfaction of the buyer not the actual market value, but because its a whinge post... Here goes.... Almost ripped off. Local Gunshop, had already purchased 5 gun from him with competitive pricing to multiple other stores, until I was talked into an air rifle, sweet talked me big time, after telling me his rep told him to sell them for $900 he told me because I was a valued customer and having spent a lot with him to date he would do it for $690. I hummed and scratched my chin $650 he dropped, how could I resist $250 saving of rec. retail, so but on lay by/lay away with a $200 deposit and payed no more thought to it. Two weeks later lunch break working hr away in next town over wondered into gun shop for nothing more than a sticky beak looked on rack and seen the exact rifle I was buying, for curiosity's sake asked how much you got on the camo stock air rifle.? Answered well this ones packaged with a 3-9x40 scope and a tin of gamo hunting pellets, they've been selling well yours today if you got your permit for a hefty $285.....***.... Long story short a couple of swear words thrown around a cancelled lay by and now an hrs drive to my new Gunshop, ironically didn't even buy an air rifle in the end.
Old August 30, 2014, 09:00 PM   #39
BigBL87

For better or worse, I research the crap out of most stuff I buy so thus far I haven't been ripped off. I wish I had the kind of expendable income to be able to make knee jerk purchases though.
Old August 31, 2014, 02:32 PM   #40
aarondhgraham

Ripped off by a cousin,,,

I bought a S&W shotgun from a cousin,,,
I didn't really want the gun but he was in a bind.

I even paid him a decent price,,,
Because he was "family".

It turns out the inner rail on one side was broken,,,
A good inch wasn't there at all.

He got all big eyed and swore he didn't know,,,
And of course, he had already spent the money.

Kinfolk,,,
Can't live with 'em,,,
Can't stuff 'em in e deep hole.

Aarond

P.S. I made a lamp out of it,,,
I'll peddle that for more than I gave for the gun.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)