The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2011, 10:55 PM   #1
Fusion

Should I hunt with these?

I was reloading a few rounds tonight for my hunting rifle. I noticed after doing a few that the seating plug must have gotten out of adjustment since the last time I used it as it was now seating the bullets about .010 deeper than I wanted. I made several shells like this. So once I got it properly adjusted I put the rounds that were seated deeper than I wanted in my kinetic bullet puller and gave them each a good wack. This of course just brought the bullets back out some, but not all the way. I then ran them through the seater die again this time seating them to the correct length. The only reason I question this is that I didn't pull the bullets all the way out and resize the brass again. Should this matter or should I be fine? I did crimp them after loading them btw.

I'm just wondering if these are going to be okay to trust while hunting, or if I should just mark them range only use. The bullets I use are pretty hard to find, or have been lately, so I'd really like to be able to hunt with them, but I don't want to wound and not kill an animal if they shoot several inches off. This rifle isn't a sub moa rifle, so 1.5" groups are about all it does. So if it his within an inch or so of the others, it really wouldn't matter as I wouldn't be able to tell a difference. However, if these are going to shoot several inches different, that's where the problem would come in.

Has anyone else done this? Has it changed how they shot?
Old March 27, 2011, 11:27 PM   #2
Jim243

The bullets will be fine. You are not shooting Sub-MOA groups for competition and the POI will actually be the same as if they were right the first time. I often do the same with my 223s when seated a tad short.

No problem, when you tap them out with the Kentec the crimpted case was straighten by the bullet. Like I said no issue.

Have fun and shot straight.
Jim
Old March 27, 2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Fusion

Thanks. Just was I was hoping to hear. I may shoot these at the range anyway, as deer season is 8 months off, but I hope to still have these left for the season as I hardly ever shoot this thing, I just was loading up a few rounds since I had free time.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:47 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I wouldn't worry about them. I've done the same thing, and never noticed any change in performance. (and 90% of my rifle ammo is hunting ammo)
Old March 28, 2011, 07:57 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

yup, what I finding out is this that Hornady GMX bullets have varying ogive's and I used my bullet puller to pull them up and reset each accordingly. I have not fear on using them nor suspect that they will be anything less than perfect for hunting... or varmints.
Old March 28, 2011, 10:41 PM   #6
jwilson48

shouldn't be a problem. range or critter