The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 29, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1
45Gunner

Front Sight Handgun Training

I have heard this is an excellent training course but have not spoken directly with anyone that has taken the defensive handgun training course. Since this Forum has so many knowledgeable shooters, I thought it would be the perfect place to ask:

1. Have you or a personal friend attended Front Sight?

2. What was your evaluation or what was your friend's evaluation of the course?

3. Do you plan on attending other courses offered at Front Sight?

4. What advice would you offer someone planning to attend in the future?

Please be specific and do not offer opinions if you have not attended or not spoken to someone first hand that did attend. Your participation/restraint is appreciated in advance.
NRA Life Member
Old December 29, 2009, 10:46 PM   #2
fastforty

1) Yes, and multiple yes.
2) Stellar and Phenomenal.
3) Yes
4) Take the sales pitch with a grain of salt. Deals on certificates & courses come up often enough (constantly?). Although their lower levels are getting to be quite cheap, could pay for one with 3-4 course purchases.
Old December 29, 2009, 11:40 PM   #3
Caboclo

I've been to Front Sight; I was taken there by a LEO friend who had been there many times. The training and facilities are very good. Only complaint is that they are getting new customers in faster than they can build new facilities, which means it's getting fairly crowded; you'll need to show up a couple hours early on your first day to get registered in time. As the previous poster said, the guy in charge is a bit of a snake oil salesman; his base prices are very high, so that he can offer spectacular discounts. Many of the special offers are a very good value, but if you can't afford to get in on today's offer, don't worry, there will be another one soon. When you sign up, they will send you an offer from a sandwich shop in Vegas, can't remember what it's called, but you can order online ahead of time, and they will deliver a box lunch to Front Sight for you. That is a good deal; good, fresh food, something like $10, don't have to hassle with dragging a cooler full of food around all day. Try to bring your own ammo; getting it from their pro shop is not a good deal.
Old December 30, 2009, 12:21 AM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

I haven't been to Frontsight but know people who have. From what I hear they offer excellent training.

I probably won't be taking any classes there. It's just that I think Prescott, Arizona is a nicer place to be than Pahrump, Nevada. So I'll probably stick with going to Gunsite.

But if you have a chance to get training and it works for you to get it at Frontsight, do it. I'm a firm believer in training, and from what I've heard, you'll get good training at Frontsight.
Old December 30, 2009, 12:41 AM   #5
Old Wanderer

Been there, became a "Legacy" member...Was a good deal as I want to keep coming back to help with my currency.

4 day handgun is excellent. Used my Glock 20c.

4 day shotgun is excellent. Took both my Bennelli 121 and Rem 870.

2 day edge weapons was really great.

I will return for 10 days in the fall to again do a handgun and either the edge weapons or empty handed class.

Shotgun is a pain because of the weight of ammo you need to have. I can do a lot of that locally.
Old December 30, 2009, 01:32 AM   #6
kerby

Front Sight

I attended Jan 09, took the 4-day course plus the 5th day for ccw. Being not to experienced I found the training to be more than I could expect. I would go back again, however, probably not interested in buying any property but maybe a membership. As I have nothing else to compare this to, I will in the future explore other training schools to expand on my training.

If you go, have fun, take it all in and shoot straight.

kerby
Old January 12, 2010, 06:33 PM   #7
cernunnostoo

Front Sight

Hi all,

I'm a new member here but active on several other forums, including SigForum. I've been a Front Sight Bronze member for a little over a year and have have taken both handgun and rifle classes. They have all been first-rate. Most of everything you hear about Front Sight is at least partially true: classes are excellent, instructors are great, facilities are quite nice, it can get crowed on some weekends, they have a snake-oil marketing scheme, nobody pays list prices for a membership as shown on their website...... That said, I've been very happy with my Bronze membership and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

And yes, they do have specials from time to time. For example, I can upgrade my membership right now and transfer my existing Bronze membership to someone else, I just can't advertise it for sale in a public media. If anyone would like more info regarding my experiences with Front Sight, all of which have been positive, feel free to email me.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:30 PM   #8
Glenn Dee

Is front sight selling time share?
Old January 12, 2010, 08:18 PM   #9
56belair

Discount package available.
http://secondamendmentmarch.americom...-Training.aspx
Old January 13, 2010, 08:28 AM   #10
1911rocks

Training

Done the Frontsight, Gunsite, and Blackwater....Blackwater by far.
Old January 20, 2010, 03:00 AM   #11
stephen426

I just saw an ad from Front Sight that includes 5 days of training, a Free XD pistol of your choice, holster, magazine pouch, Surefire Flashlight, SWAT Belt, Folding Knife, Armorer's MAt, Front SIght Hat and Shirt, and Dry Practice Training Manuals. The "total value" is listed at $4000, but the offer is for $1199. I think this big push is so he can make his payment on on his class action law suit settlement.

The deal sounds pretty good, especially based on reviews some of you have given. My concern is whether or not they will be around long enough to take the class. Based upon the other information I was able to find about him, he business practices are questionable at best.
Old January 20, 2010, 06:42 AM   #12
w_houle

Seems like this always comes around after I see their ads... and their questionnaire makes them sound like rabid Glockaholics.
Old January 20, 2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Front Sight threads are always controversial. There have been many, many versions of them on the major forums.

So, I'm going to suggest to the OP that he search here - on GT or THR or the other biggies.

If there is a question that this doesn't resolve, PM me for that question and we might post it. We don't need a debate about business practices or personal beliefs.

Closed.