The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1
Hedley

Mossberg 500A for $100- How'd I do?

I was moving out of my old college apartment tonight, when I ran into our property's handy man. He asked me if I wanted a "Mossburger" 12ga for $100, so I said yes. I pretty much got it sight unseen, since it was dark outside.

He said that he'd never fired it, and that the original owner(a mutual friend) bought it new. I asked why he wass selling it, and he said it was on account of his crazy wife. I asked no more and gave him the cash.

It came with two pistol grips(one Butler Creek and one unidentified), a Thompson-looking forward pistol grip, two boxes of shells, a cleaning rod(package unopened), and a 3" shell packed with dimes. I let him keep the dime-packed shell. I plan to try to trade off the three pistol grips, since they look goofy.

It does look unfired, but there is bluing wear on the 7 shot mag tube. I stripped it down to clean out the cobwebs, and there was no sign of powder or soot in the receiver. Only slight surface rust and dust. Maybe he just sat there an racked the slide while watching TV?

And did Mossberg ever offer a 20" barrel/7-shot combo, or is it something extra? I can't get over how easy it is to swap the barrel out. When I re-install it, do I do anything extra to ensure it seats all the way, or is it fool-proof? Is there such a thing as headspace on a shotgun?
Old May 23, 2007, 12:44 AM   #2
Maximus856

Ok, I know cussing on this forum is generally frowned upon... But holy **** what a deal.

As far as the headspace, on my maverick I havent done anything of the sort. And considering it comes with the barrel off from the factory I'm going to assume that it requires no headspacing etc.

HOwever, quite the deal. Congrats.

-Max.
Old May 23, 2007, 02:19 AM   #3
Mr Beta

Holy expletive batman! You made out like a bandit there. Looks like you got bacon and cheese with that mossburger.
Old May 23, 2007, 02:20 AM   #4
hoytinak

Hedley....I hate you.
Old May 23, 2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Hedley

Well, I guess that makes up for all the $150 Mosins and $200+ SKS's that I've bought. This is seriously the first gun purchase where I think I came out on top.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Jseime

Quote:
I can't get over how easy it is to swap the barrel out. When I re-install it, do I do anything extra to ensure it seats all the way, or is it fool-proof? Is there such a thing as headspace on a shotgun?
Holy (insert string of profanity here) you got one sweet deal there. The barrels are completely idiot proof I looked in my Mossberg owners manual and all you have to do is just tighten up the little screw in the end of the magazine tube and fire away. It doesn't even have to be tightened with a wrench just finger tight is good. I nearly hate you for getting that deal. I've never come out on top in a gun deal really except when I got $350 for a savage 110 that wouldnt feed...or shoot straight.
Old May 23, 2007, 03:37 PM   #7
waterhouse

Nice buy.
Old May 23, 2007, 05:22 PM   #8
kcshooter

I think that's a 500SP, Special Purpose, thats the one with the 20" barrel and 7rd mag. Nothing special about the barrel swap either. It really is that easy.
Also good move on getting rid of the pistol grips, I hate those things.
Best deal I've seen on a "mossbuger" in a long time.
Old May 24, 2007, 09:50 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Were you pointing any thing sharp at him when is "offer" was made? Jeez you did well.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:06 AM   #10
ebutler462

Take the serial number to the nearest cop that you can trust and get him to run a check on it. Tell him that someone wants to sell a gun but you want to be sure that it ain't stolen. Don't tell him it is in your possession.

If it's clean, have fun. If it ain't, get the handyman in the dark to refund your money. I've had this tried on me too many times. Fortunately, I am a retired cop and have friends that will tell me if the piece is stolen. Somehow these handymen have access to guns in most of the homes they work in.

No accusation here, please understand. Just what I consider good advice. Should you ever have to use it, or have to pawn it, you could end up being charged with receiving stolen property.

You can't be too careful nowadays with anybody.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:28 AM   #11
fisherman66

I got my 870 from a huntin' buddy that upgraded to a Browning SxS pigeon grade. It too set me back $100 with soft case.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:58 AM   #12
FirstFreedom

Mossburger....isn't that one of those newfangled health foods - a black bean patty and moss burger, with sprouts & avacado, on a sesame wheat roll?

A working pump shotgun for $100 is a good buy (almost) anytime!
Old May 24, 2007, 10:22 PM   #13
Doggieman

now there's a shady deal if I ever heard one.
Old May 25, 2007, 02:24 PM   #14
NCLivingBrit

I'm getting ready to drop twice that on a very similar deal (Mossberg 500A w/ a 18.5" and a 28" barrel, all stock furniture) and not thinking it too much, so yeah you got a good deal.

And yeah, I'd check to make sure it isn't MIA from someones gun cabinet.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” - George Carlin
Old May 27, 2007, 01:28 AM   #15
SCREAMIII2006

early model 590

I believe that is a early 590,like when they first came out.
It most likely will hold 8 X 2 3/4 shells,7 x 3 inch.
The magazine holddown nut is even with the end of the barrel.
The barrel should come in under 20",like 19 1/2.
Plus the bead is pressed or sodered into the barrel.
Newer models have the 20" barrel that extends past the mag nut.
And the reciever will not be drilled and tapped.
I used to own a mariner 590 back in the MC Hammer days and it was one of the last real SS models,b4 they switched to marinecote.
Sadly I sold it[ in the classifieds ] in my college days for rent money.
I recently bought a SS 590 barrel off Ebay and it is a real SS barrel,cheap under $50 ,guy didn't know what he had!!
Old May 27, 2007, 01:32 AM   #16
mikikanazawa

Quote:
Is there such a thing as headspace on a shotgun?
Headspace isn't a critical measurement on a shotgun and it's fixed at the factory. When the gun is in battery a locking lug in the bolt secures it to the hood of the barrel. When the barrel is out, you'll see a square hole in the barrel hood. This is where the bolt locks up.

Hey, you know I nabbed a 500A for $100 at Turner's once... grand opening of their Chino store. Anybody else here get that deal?