The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2000, 03:26 PM   #1
Ledbetter

I just picked up a Colt Gov.380 in Nickel. I've never had a nickel-finished gun before. What is the best thing to use to remove the light discoloration? Any precautions necessary?--will Hoppe's #9 or other cleaners discolor it? How does it compare with chrome or stainless? Thanks for all your great info George.

Ledbetter
Old March 5, 2000, 07:02 PM   #2
Badger

I have several nickel plated guns with no problems. Nickel is durable but must be cared for properly. Solvent left on the finish will probably cause it to flake off.If there are any scratches that go through to the base metal you must be careful as solvent could conceivably get under the plating and cause flaking. I periodically use Flitz to polish my nickel guns. If any solvent is used, be sure to clean throughly and you should be ok.
Old March 7, 2000, 06:40 PM   #3
IZZY

Badger, where can I obtain this "Flitz" compuond...does this stuff wear down the nickel? Thanks in advance1

Peace
IZZY
Old March 7, 2000, 07:15 PM   #4
Ledbetter

Izzy,

You can probably get Flitz at your local gunshop or at Brownell's on the web. It comes in a tiny tube and only a little is needed (along with some hard rubbing). I tried it and it worked wonders on lightly discolored areas. For consistent finish, I treated all exterior surfaces. It should be thoroughly removed afterwards, as it turns blue-black on contact with the nickel. I used Boeshield (similar to CLP) to rub the gun down after I had removed as much as I could by rubbing and the residue was lifted right off.

Badger, Thanks for the info.

------------------
Show someone the way
to the NRA
Old March 16, 2000, 01:42 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hoppe's and other ammonia type cleaners will not harm or discolor nickel itself, BUT, the older type nickel plating requires a copper undercladding, since nickel will not plate directly onto steel. If a chip, crack, scratch, or unplated area allows the ammonia cleaner to get to the copper, it will attack the copper underneath the nickel and the nickel will peel off. To be safe, avoid use of such cleaners on nickel plated guns.

Jim
Old March 16, 2000, 05:32 PM   #6
RWK

Jim is absolutely right! I believe Breakfree CPL will do the job and will not interact with the copper base.
Old March 17, 2000, 02:39 PM   #7
Ledbetter

I appreciate the information. Thank you.