The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 20, 2002, 11:18 AM   #1
magyars4

help for an Alaska caribou hunt

All,
I have the opportunity of a life time to go to Alaska for a caribou hunt in mid August.
other than local hunting here in Va, and 1 moose hunt in canada, I have never hunted anywhwhere else. this will be a drop camp, limited to 125 lbs.
I figure wools, 30-06, emergency kit, tent, sleeping bag, handgun (45 colt).
What else do I need? What else should i consider, or need to think about\?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
magyars4
Old May 20, 2002, 01:29 PM   #2
Kirk Keller

Above anything else

You need a porter to lug your stuff. Happily, I volunteer my services!
Old May 24, 2002, 04:13 AM   #3
lilbiggun

Drop me a line, I'll try and help you out on anything you need to know. You need alot more for a do-it yourselfer up here.
Old May 24, 2002, 01:30 PM   #4
bronco61

You will discover what it is like to be attacked non-stop by killer mosquitos that equal the size and number of the bugs shown on the movie "Starship Troopers". This is not an exageration.

They will cover your food like chocolate sprinkles on ice-cream, you will wait until you can't wait any longer to take a dump. As soon as you drop trou, they'll cover your shiny heiny and eat you alive. You will spend the first hour in your tent trying to kill as many as you can and as soon as you start to fall asleep, you'll hear another one buzzing in your ear. They are relentless.
Old May 25, 2002, 07:18 PM   #5
magyars4

Thanks

Bronco61 thats some of the funniest info I have read in a long while, and to make it worst, I know its true....
Bug juice and lots of netting, got it! thanks
Old May 30, 2002, 04:17 PM   #6
Elker_43

This guy might be able to help you!

Here is a site for a guy that I met several years ago and he is a super good hunter and was a great help to me on a Tule Elk hunt that my son drew here in Kalifornia. As I recall, he is a Caribou guide in Alaska during the Caribou season in addition to working as an actor in Hollywood. Get in touch with him and he may be able to give you some good pointers on your hunt.

http://home.att.net/~dcm122170/index.html

Happy Hunting,
Elker
Old May 30, 2002, 04:37 PM   #7

If I was you, I would take a variety of bug juice. Get two bottles of the DEET stuff. This stuff is supposed to be bad for you, but when the bugs are all over you, you are willing to take that chance. Then get a couple cans of the spray.
I undress (inside of something like a tent or building) then cover myself with that DEET. Then I get dressed and spray my clothes with the spray stuff.
Trips like this are a proving ground for insect repellent. You will quickly find out which stuff works and which stuff doesn't work. You will also see exactly how long it lasts. And finally you will find out every spot no matter how tiny, that you missed with the bug replellent (like your crotch).
Get a head net and a set of ear plugs so you can sleep without the mosquito buzzing driving you nuts. Wear gloves. Get a coat that you can wear even if it is warm.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.