The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Murphy2000

DART 1858 Remington value?

I recently aquired a 1858 Remington brass framed revolver.

I've done a lot of searching online for information and the only thing I have found was on this forum.

The gun is in like new condition and can anyone give me a lead to where/how to find out the value of this gun?

Thanks,

Murphy
Old January 7, 2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

2007 Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Arms lists the Pietta brass framed '58 Remington at $115 for one in 100% condition
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 8, 2009, 03:33 AM   #3
arcticap

It might be worth a little more to someone who is fond of older, less common Italian replicas. But on the other hand, some potential buyers could also be concerned about which replacement parts can be used to fix it if needed.
So the only way to really determine the value is to list it on a gun auction site like Gunbroker and see how much money it will fetch.
Are you just curious about the value or are you thinking about selling it?
Old January 8, 2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Murphy2000

I had intentions of shooting it, then while looking for information about the DART brand, I found that it was supposed to be a collectable. That being the case, I'd much rather a collector have it for his collection than turn it into a 'shooter' grade gun while there are so many other choices I can pick from for that purpose.

Thanks for the suggestion about placing it up for sale on an auction site. It maybe the only way I found how what it's worth in the end.

Thanks for the reply....

Murphy
Old January 8, 2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Hawg

Get hold of bprevolver. He can probably tell you more about it. I think he's got a couple. Might be interested in yours.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:36 AM   #6
bprevolver

Dart - Excam Revolvers

Dart was a brand name used by Excam, a Florida importer. They marketed replica percussion revolvers under both Dart and Excam, with Excam being the higher quality with steel frames for the most part. These are collectable because not too many have surfaced thus far on the used market. It is the markings on a revolver that determines its collectability since most replicas are from just a few Italian manufacturers. I would hold this one and get a more common revolver like Pietta to shoot. The Dart and Excam will appreciate in value as the number of collectors increases. I have only seen one steel framed Excam revolver come up for sale in 15yrs. Of course I bought it. It was an 1851 Army 3rd Model (We use "Army" as a designation for any .44cal. 1851 Navy type revolver since Colt never made a 1851 Navy in .44cal.) We have two Dart brass frame revolvers in our collection. All the models marketed by Excam/Dart are listed in our forthcoming book of 10yrs. Just can't find a stopping place to publish. More new information keeps popping up.

P.S. Check to see if your Remington is actually a brass framed "Beals" rather than a New Model Army. Are several barrel threads visable between the frame and front of cylinder? If not it is a Beals replica. Also the overall size of the revolver will feel smaller than the New Model Army.

Last edited by bprevolver; January 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Add information
Old January 8, 2009, 09:18 PM   #7
rommer25

Dart Remington 36

I brought this one off an auction for around $100.00. That was last Summer if I remember right. It is still very tight but has seen some use. I replaced the bolt by buying one from Euroarms. I had to hand grind it into shap to fit. Nothing was wrong with the old bolt, it just had the left side angled. If it is considered a collector, I guess I should put the old bolt back. TM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brass remington. 1.JPG (86.8 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg Remington 1858 Cal. 36 Brass. 3.jpg (70.7 KB, 207 views)
Old January 11, 2009, 11:37 PM   #8
Murphy2000

bprevolver,

I looked and it does have threads showing, so it isn't the Beals model. Thanks for the information and explaining the difference.

rommer25,

Thanks for the photos. I noticed you have one of the photos tagged as a .36 caliber? They made it on both calibers?

Thanks,

Murphy
Old January 12, 2009, 02:56 AM   #9
Smokin_Gun

Shoot it Murph 15gr a BP won't hurt it a bit ... It's alrady been fired won't depreciate it non...take the grip off and look for a DGG stamp on the side of the grip frame, it would mean it's a Armi San Paolo(Old Euroarms). If the grip or size is physically a hair smaller it's a Beals style 1861 Rem. If it feels as big as your Pietta or New one it may be ASM or Pietta... If ya don't want it cause a parts, I got a Brass Colt Navy ASM here in .36. Pietta Colt in .44.
The D.A.R.T. is just an Importer's name Like HAWES of L.A. CA, EIG, FIE, Taylors, Traditions, Cabelas. But it would be an Old one early 1970's.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; January 12, 2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:13 PM   #10
rommer25

They made it in both calibers?

What caliber is yours. You are the only one else I have heard of that has one. Does anyone else know if they came in both 36 and 44?
Old January 12, 2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Murphy2000

rommer25,

Mine is a .44 caliber, while I'm not all that well informed about BP revolvers, over the years that I have looked at them from time to time, I did know they're offered in both .36 & .44 Caliber.

I'm currently undecided about shooting this one if it's a collectable. While my meager firearm collection isn't that large, I pretty much only buy ones I fully intend to shoot

This one seems to have seen little use, if any from what I can tell. Just has the standard drag line around the cylinder, a few dings in the brass frame (nothing serious).

Murphy
Old December 30, 2016, 07:00 AM   #12
DUNITALL

Dunitall//dart 50 cal. Revolver

I have been looking to find info on the Dart import with not much luck. This is the first time that I may be able to find out what I have .//I have a Dart revolver that is chambered in 50 cal. I can not find anything on this revolver in 50 cal. I am sure some one out there will be able to help. Thanks Walt(DUNITALL)
Old December 30, 2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Hawg

Try starting a new thread instead of responding to one 7 years old.
Old December 30, 2016, 07:09 PM   #14
DUNITALL

Dart 50 cal. Revolver

IF YOU FIND THIS I NEED HELP FINDING HOW TO POST

Last edited by DUNITALL; December 30, 2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST!!!!
Old December 30, 2016, 07:16 PM   #15
BlackPowderBen

Click the "New Thread" button on the forum page to start a new topic.