The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 24, 2011, 08:48 PM   #26
breed

not that i have any thing to prove to you are any one else. but i well put the pic's up in the next day or two....but not on this thread. I'm done on this one.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:25 PM   #27
Noz

I have a question. If that is a black powder, ie cap and ball pistol, why does it have an ejection system on it any way. It should have a ball rammer instead.
The hammer on a cap and ball is not anything like that on a cartridge gun. There is no firing pin.
It looks like a cartridge firing replica of a gun that was made to fire black powder cartridges, not cap and ball.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:47 PM   #28
junkman_01

Quote:
It looks like a cartridge firing replica of a gun that was made to fire black powder cartridges, not cap and ball.
Nothing escapes your keen eye, does it Noz?
Old January 25, 2011, 02:38 PM   #29
mykeal

Noz,

It is indeed a percussion version of a cartridge revolver. There are places in this world (United Kingdom) where possession of a cartridge handgun is illegal, but a percussion (or flintlock, etc.) handgun is allowed under special circumstances. Initially Uberti, and then more recently Pietta, produced a version of their popular Cattleman (an 1873 Colt closed frame Peacemaker replica) that uses percussion caps instead of cartridges for sale in that market. The gun does indeed have a completely useless ejector mechanism because the 1873 Colt has one, and it does not have a loading lever because the 1873 Colt didn't have one. It is necessary to remove the cylinder and use a cylinder loading stand or tool to load the chambers with powder and ball.

The gun makes no sense as a historical article because it never existed before Uberti produced it, and the need to remove the cylinder to load it makes it difficult to use. However, it did allow UK residents to shoot the venerable 1873 Colt design, and on that score it is a success. It's an excellent shooting gun and in my opinion a very nice looking gun as well.

Uberti's design utilized the hammer with an offset firing pin and a matching offset hole in the frame, along with a cylinder with offset nipple installations in order to make it difficult, if not impossible, to modify the gun to shoot with a cartridge cylinder. This was necessary to obtain clearance to sell the gun in the UK.
Old January 26, 2011, 10:50 AM   #30
breed

the firing pin contacts the right side of the primmer.IMO its the same frame used on the cartridge guns. with the firing pin hole offset a little to the right. i put a 5 1/2in colt nickel barrel on the pietta. and a 4in barrel with ejector on the uberti.that they sell for there cartridge gun.the pics well explain a lot.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:18 PM   #31
Noz

Didn't know such a beast existed.
Old January 26, 2011, 01:22 PM   #32
mykeal

Here's the Uberti version with spare cylinders:

The hammer with 'firing pin'; note the offset:

The frame design with matching offset to accept the firing pin:

The percussion cylinders with offset nipple installations:

It's difficult for me to see how filing the firing pin will move it over to allow it to correctly strike a centerfire primer on a cartridge aligned with the bore centerline.

It seems to me one would need to remove material in the frame opening towards the center of the frame and add material to the hammer firing pin in the same direction. It just seems that the best one could hope for by simply removing material from the firing pin is that it would then be a rimfire revolver.

Breed's latest post indicates that the modified pin will strike the right side of the primer. I'm just not completely convinced of that but I can see where it might be possible. I'm awaiting pictures; I hope that at least one will be of a fired cartridge showing the strike location.

And no, breed, you don't have anything to prove to me; I made no such assertion. You made an undocumented claim and then disappeared for almost 3 weeks; you shouldn't be surprised that someone would be skeptical as a result. Posting pictures of your modification, as you originally promised to do would be a very positive step, and I hope that you will do so. I'm sure many people, myself included, would like to see how this works.
Old January 26, 2011, 01:26 PM   #33
junkman_01

Why couldn't the firing pin be replaced, and the frame hole opened up? The firing pin s/b held in by a cross pin.
Old January 26, 2011, 02:22 PM   #34
mykeal

The firing pin is indeed held in place by a pin in the Uberti design; I don't know the details of the Pietta design:

One could certainly open the frame hole, remove the OEM firing pin, and fabricate, heat treat (harden) and install a new firing pin.

I don't think it's ever been claimed that it was impossible to modify the gun to use a regular Colt cartridge cylinder, but Uberti's design was likely intended to move such modification out of the realm of the home hobbyist. Breed's simple mod with a file may well fall in that category, while fabricating and installing a new firing pin and opening the frame hole perhaps would not. If I were a UK bureaucrat charged with seeing to it that the citizens couldn't defend themselves I'd take a serious look at that simple mod with an eye towards banning the gun if it's truly feasible.

A couple of questions come to mind here: does one get reliable ignition from an edge strike on a centerfire primer, and likewise does one get reliable ignition from an edge strike (such as with the modified pin with the original offset cylinder installed) on a percussion cap? I don't know what to expect with those conditions.
Old January 26, 2011, 02:28 PM   #35
junkman_01

The original Colt design for the 1873 firing pin was as you have shown, with a cross pin. No need to fabricate and harden one. Just purchase a pin from the manufacturer and install it. Then open the hole in the frame to accommodate it. Of course you would also need to get a center-fire cylinder.
Old January 26, 2011, 05:18 PM   #36
mykeal

Have you purchased a firing pin from Colt for this design? Numrich and Brownell's don't recognize it. The Colt Parts site shows a picture of it but does not list a part number nor any inventory.
Old January 26, 2011, 05:27 PM   #37
junkman_01

Here is the BROWNELL's link....

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...uct/FIRING_PIN
Old February 26, 2011, 01:56 PM   #38
Mokoto

looking for a .45 lc cylinder

Hi! Does anyone have a spare .45 lc or .45 acp cylinder for pietta or uberti 1873 model to sell?

Last edited by Mokoto; February 27, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old March 25, 2011, 10:15 AM   #39
Mokoto

.45 acp & .45 lc cylinders for uberti and pietta

Hello Breed! just want to ask about the cylinders for uberti and pietta. You said you have in the uberti a .45 acp cylinder, and in pietta you have a .45 lc. Does this cylinders are interchangeable for the 2 firearms? Can you put the .45acp in the pietta model? Thanks
Old March 25, 2011, 10:59 AM   #40
Hawg

They're not interchangeable between Pietta and Uberti. The Pietta is longer.
Old March 25, 2011, 01:46 PM   #41
breed

hawg haggen is right. i had to fit the 45 acp cylinder to the uberti. it well not fit the pietta. i also had to fit the 45lc cylinder to the pietta. i see no reason to to drill out the firing pin hole. seems like a good way to ruin a nice firearm. i also put a 5 1/2in colt nickel platted 3 gen barrel in the pietta. i still need to have the cylinder's platted and the back strap and trigger guard. I'm doing the same thing with the uberti. but i used a 4in barrel from said company. and using thunderer grips. when the guns are finished. I'll post some pics. they well be two unique 1873's to say the least.
Old March 25, 2011, 02:54 PM   #42
Mokoto

Can you tell how that fitting job is done in a 1873 pietta model with the .45 lc cylinder?
Old March 25, 2011, 10:29 PM   #43
Model-P

Quote:
I'll post some pics.
Deja vu!
Old March 26, 2011, 10:18 AM   #44
breed

i said i would post pics when the guns are done. that might be next week or next year. i have no need to prove any thing to no one. with that being said. if any one is really interested in theses gun's pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we'll talk. may be even text a few pics of them to your phone. with the understanding that i do not won't them posted at this time.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:34 AM   #45
junkman_01

Old March 26, 2011, 01:09 PM   #46
Model-P

Quote:
i well put the pic's up in the next day or two....but not on this thread.
Quote:
i said i would post pics when the guns are done. that might be next week or next year.
Old March 26, 2011, 03:27 PM   #47
breed

wow...get over it...
Old March 26, 2011, 03:38 PM   #48
junkman_01

No picture=no proof!
Old March 26, 2011, 03:59 PM   #49
Hawg

Quote:
i said i would post pics when the guns are done. that might be next week or next year. i have no need to prove any thing to no one. with that being said. if any one is really interested in theses gun's pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we'll talk. may be even text a few pics of them to your phone. with the understanding that i do not won't them posted at this time.

Now that's interesting. Guns not finished yet. Won't post pics yet but will text pics.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:08 AM   #50
Model-P

Quote:
Now that's interesting. Guns not finished yet. Won't post pics yet but will text pics.
I took that like an artist doesn't want to make his work public until it is complete, but might allow a personal peek now and again at the work in progress.

Breed, I'm just chomping at the bit, looking forward to seeing the pictures, and having a bit of fun at your expense in the mean time.