The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 8, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Chet Punisher

Mounting a scope.

So, I've read a lot about torquing screws to a certain lbs to maintain accuracy... I don't own any torquing tools... How does one do this correctly without those tools? Any suggestions? Any help?
Old December 8, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
WWWJD

That's tough. You could wing it and probably be OK.. but you'll never be sure. Wheeler kits go on sale all the time. It's worth the money I think.

Wheeler FAT Wrench

NRA Endowment FTW
Old December 8, 2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've never used any tools or kits to mount a scope.
If I'm feeling precise, I use a level.

The screws/scope/rings aren't made of glass and you're not trying to torque head bolts either.

Tighten them like you would most any other screw about that size and be happy.

I didn't even know those kits existed and I never thought about the specific torque numbers until I joined a forum.
Old December 8, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4
the rifleer

The big thing is making sure that you have to top part level. I just eyeball it. Tighten on side, then tighten the other. You can tighten them pretty good with a normal allen wrench. I use locktite to make sure it doesn't come undone. The concern is bending the scope tube, but that takes some effort to do.

Unless you are shooting long range competitions, just use judgement. That good enough for most people.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I've never used any tools or kits to mount a scope.
If I'm feeling precise, I use a level.

The screws/scope/rings aren't made of glass and you're not trying to torque head bolts either.

Tighten them like you would most any other screw about that size and be happy.

I didn't even know those kits existed and I never thought about the specific torque numbers until I joined a forum.
Don't over think it. As Brian pointed out, a level is about as fancy as you need to go.

I do tighten my screws evenly. That is tighten each one a little, in order, until they are all tight.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:02 AM   #6
taylorce1

I don't use any special tools either, but I do use a little dab of purple or blue locktite to make sure they don't shake loose.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:32 PM   #7
tobnpr

I just ordered a torque wrench from Graf's for this purpose as well, but also to torque the action screws (experimenting with action screw torque can improve accuracy).

I can't recall where I read it, but I use the allen key with the short "L" side between my thumb and index finger- and torque as tightly as I can with the wrench held that way. As opposed to holding the wrench the other way, this is kind of self-limiting in the amount of torque you can apply and minimizes the risk of stripping the often too-small screws...
Old December 9, 2012, 02:32 PM   #8
redrick

You really should use the right tools or take it to someone that has the right tools to get the best results. You need more than a torque wrench to do it right.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:18 PM   #9
hooligan1

We have the Wheeler scope mounting kit, and ths only thing in it we havent used so far is the 30mm tools. Every thing else has helped us with more consistant scope mounting procedure, theyre only 125.00 and Ive mounted seven or more scope so far and it has worked nicely.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Cowboy_mo

I have to agree with the majority here. A torque wrench, nor Wheeler's $125 kit are necessary to properly mount a scope.

A torque wrench is nice for action screws as you are talking 50-60 inch pounds. For the small screws on scope bases and rings, I am guessing 10-15 inch pounds maybe less.

I do use a standard level (magnetic base) to be sure the rifle is level in the "rack" holding it, the bases are level, and finally the scope. Have mounted probably 10-15 scopes using these methods and have never had a problem.
Old December 9, 2012, 08:01 PM   #11
WWWJD

OK OK. Not necessary. (unless you're nitpicky... like me!)

For leveling to the action, I use a set of feeler gauges; stacked up so they barely wedge between the bottom of the scope's turret body (if it's got one) and the rifle's picatinny rail (again, if it's got one). This ensures that the scope and action are truly parallel prior to tightening the rings. Again... nitpicking.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old December 9, 2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Chet Punisher

Thanks for all the advice guys. I ordered the Wheeler FAT Wrench.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:38 AM   #13
jehu

IMO you don't need a torque wrench and I've never heared of anyone useing one to mount a scope. Just line up the reticle so it looks straight to you when you mount the rifle and make sure you have the best position back or forward that is comfortable and takes advantage of you scopes eye rielef then tighten down your screws evenly and I would not use loctite on the screws as it could make it very difficult to undo if need be. The old trick is use finger nail polish which will not allow screws to loosen but will allow you to take screws out eaisier if needed.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:41 AM   #14
hooligan1

Also look up your brand of rings and bases to find torque specs.
We have collectively shot thousands of rounds through these sxope we have mounted using the Wheeler kit, all rings were properly aligned and lapped and torqued, also we use blue locktite. NEVER any issues with scope
s and their mounts.
As for post 13, why wouldn,t you peoperly torque your screws?
And why would you mount a scope Not using Locktite?
Hes the unlucky soul two booths down cussing because his scope has come loose afteronly four rounds..

Op dont be that fella,

Last edited by hooligan1; December 10, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:57 AM   #15
sundog

+1 for Wheeler Fat Wrench. It's cheaper and a lot less frustrating than removing broken screws. As a matter of consistency, screws are equally tightened. And, Locktite.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #16
boattale

One little thing I've found that I really like when mounting scopes is allen head screws instead of slotted. I HATE boogered up screw heads and with my fat uncoordinated fingers and hands, allen head screws just help me avoid that little pet peeve. And spare the lecture about screwdrivers, I've got good ones.