The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 18, 2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Model12Win

Desantis Clip Grip

I just got one for my S&W 642-1:

This is a set of glass-reinforced nylon grips that will fit on J-frame round butt revolvers, and is equipped with a "hook" on the right side grip panel that is designed to clip over the user's waistband or belt. Essentially, it gives the user the ability to carry the gun without a holster, which reduces bulk and printing. It is essentially the same exact concept as the older Barami Hip grip, which I was using (paired with a Tyler T grip adapter) before giving this more modern product a try.

Boy is it nice!

Not only does it look better (IMHO) it also feels better in the hand. It gives almost the same feel as the stock factory S&W boot grips that come on the new production J-frames. Compared to the Barami Hip Grip, these Desantis grips feel much better. The glass-reinforced nylon gives more traction, as does the molded in checkering. I've used and have been a fan of Barami Hip Grips for over a year since first putting them on this gun, but I do believe the Desantis Clip Grips is the superior product. The Barami grips are made from an exceptionally slick plastic, that affords no real purchase on the revolver. It also must be pair with a Tyler T grip adapter if one wants a more ergonomic feel.

This Desantis Clip Grip is perhaps one of the best ways to carry a deep concealment J-frame revolver. Since no holster is needed, and the gun is simply clipped over the waistline and secured by a belt, you completely eliminate the need for a bulky holster. The double action only mechanism on the 642 ensures the gun will not go off by accident even though the trigger is exposed. Here is the gun w/ new grips being carried by me:

As you can see, I carry the gun at about the 3:00 o'clock position. The small black pouch behind the revolver is a Remora accesory pouch which holds a Bianchi speed strip loaded with 5 round of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38 special +P 135 grain JHP loads (same as in the gun).

Overall, though I've only been using this product for about 30 minutes, I can already tell that I like it more than my Barami grips and consider it the superior product for the purposes of deep concealed carry. This 642-1 is my EDC, and it conceals well with these grips (and the old Baramis) under nothing more than a T-shirt, which is all I tend to wear in summer. I'm very impressed with this product, and just though you all might want to see this as I believe it to be a fine way to carry your J-frame in the hotter months or in fact all year round.

Thanks for your time, and have a great day!
Old May 18, 2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Andy Blozinski

What is that you're wearing between the pistol and your body?
Old May 18, 2015, 09:16 PM   #3
Model12Win

Underpants.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Dr_2_B

Reminds me of the old Barami hip grip, but more handsome. I like it but I'd really like to hear from you in a year after you've sat in a recliner a couple hundred times and run after a taxi a bit and slipped in the snow a couple times... to see if you feel like it stays put well enough.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:30 PM   #5
DaleA

Thanks for posting a picture of the rig in action. A picture really is worth a thousand words. It shows exactly what you're talking about. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:37 PM   #6
Model12Win

Quote:
Reminds me of the old Barami hip grip, but more handsome. I like it but I'd really like to hear from you in a year after you've sat in a recliner a couple hundred times and run after a taxi a bit and slipped in the snow a couple times... to see if you feel like it stays put well enough.
My old Barami grips never once let me down, if that means anything to you. The belt keeps pressure on the gun and it doesn't go anywhere, retention is as good as most IWB holsters. I've also drove hundreds of hours with the rig, sometimes in excess of 8 hours at a time, with no issues. I also don't believe running would cause any issues.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:43 AM   #7
salvadore

I don't know about running after a taxi, but my Baramis are fool proof.
Old May 19, 2015, 12:43 AM   #8
Carmady

I tried the Hip-Grip a while and really liked it as a means of carry with my M-60. I had it around 4:30 or so. Also used one on a Charter Arms Undercover.

What I didn't like about the Hip-Grip was that it came at the expense of the original Uncle Mike's combat grips, which I really want on there for shooting .357s.

Now I'm back to trying the Mexican carry with a shoestring around 11:00. I like that a lot too, but tried it recently and the gun rolled out onto the floor while I was doing something, so I went back to the Little Cute Peashooter.

I might try the DeSantis, but I prefer the gun up front in a cross draw location. Seems to be pretty comfy and accessible.
Old May 19, 2015, 01:49 AM   #9
Model12Win

Quote:
I don't know about running after a taxi, but my Baramis are fool proof
+1

These are the same concept, but are more comfortable with a better grip. They don't look half bad either!
Old May 19, 2015, 05:57 AM   #10
Dr_2_B

I've actually never run after a taxi in my life. On the other hand, I've spent a great deal of time in the recliner.

Glad to know they are so secure.
Old May 19, 2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Model12Win

Yeah me too LOL! Doesn't budge, nor while driving.
Old May 19, 2015, 02:31 PM   #12
AKexpat

For those of you who don't want to change grips, this might be an alternative:

http://clipdraw.com/product/universa...for-revolvers/

I'm 62 and like to carry concealed while walking my 14 acres and also carry in the house. I don't jog, chase taxis, and it is comfortable sitting my rocker watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I wear suspenders with no belt. I have this for my 1911 and it works well for my needs.

http://clipdraw.com/product/model-1911-clipdraw/
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 19, 2015, 02:46 PM   #13
HighValleyRanch

Ha, I don't chase taxi's, none around these parts, but I have been known to chase a horse or mule now and then!
Looked at the clip draw and like it, but unfortunately it covers the Ruger LCRX serial number with the base plate.
And, will it fit into the pocket holster with the clip attached?
Old May 19, 2015, 06:39 PM   #14
AKexpat

Quote:
Ha, I don't chase taxi's, none around these parts, but I have been known to chase a horse or mule now and then!
I have been known to chase an occaisional cow or horse back home here in WA. Don't want to do it for a living, but it can be fun at times...

Quote:
Looked at the clip draw and like it, but unfortunately it covers the Ruger LCRX serial number with the base plate.
Quote:
And, will it fit into the pocket holster with the clip attached?
I'm sure other more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

I know this is a revolver forum, but my 1911 clipdraw works well.

YMMV.

Good day!

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old May 20, 2015, 01:02 AM   #15
Model12Win

I would never carry a 1911 this way, unless I carried it "Israeli" style without a round in the chamber.

The DA pull on the J-frames is so long an heavy that I just don't see it ever going off accidentally with this system.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:05 AM   #16
Real Gun

I use the grips that came on my SW637 Wyatt Deep Cover to make a pajama gun, walking dogs before showered and dressed. I suppose one who wears athletic pants with elastic waist would find the same application, but I count on being able to draw up and tie the waist band cord to secure the gun. Other than that I have no need to carry the gun except in my go bag. I like the grips regardless, because they are a good support for my trigger reach with smallish hands.