The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2009, 05:47 PM   #1
PhoenixConflagration

Compare and contrast

The Taurus PT-111, the Glock 19, and the Glock 26. Obviously I'm aware that the Glocks are better quality. I already have the PT-111 and am looking at replacing it with one of those Glocks. If I got the G26, it would have to be with the pinky-extend mags, which is why I'm considering the G19. I carry the PT-111 concealed now, and the G19 doesn't seem much bigger if any. Of course the G26 might be even more concealable even with the extended mag. So mostly I want to compare the glocks against each other and their concealability against the PT-111.

P.S. What's a fair trade-in value for a PT-111 in good condition (400 to 600 rounds through it)?
Old February 20, 2009, 09:13 AM   #2
PhoenixConflagration

Anyone?
Old February 20, 2009, 07:18 PM   #3
JN01

No experience with the Taurus, but I have both a G26 and G19. I like and carry both, but if you're only going to have one, I'd pick the G26. It can be concealed in places the G19 can't, but you can still use G19 mags (with sleeves around the exposed portion if you feel the need) in the G26 when the size parameters aren't so stringent.
Old February 21, 2009, 08:37 AM   #4
RoscoeC

I too have the 19 and the 26. If you will put a few hundred rounds through the 26, you will find the lack of pinky support to be pretty much a non issue. At least I did.

I carry the 26 every day. Usually in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. To my surprise, I shoot it as accurately as I do my 19.

I have no experience with the Taurus.
NRA Life Member
Old February 21, 2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Ozzieman

For me the lack of pinky support on the 26 was a BIG ISSUE. If Glock didn’t make the extension I would not own the gun, it fit my hand that badly.
With the extension it has become my number 1 carry gun that is also one of the best shooting small 9mm guns that I have ever owned.
I think that this shows that the short grip on the G26 fits some and not others, but the fact that you can make the gun fit your hand better and at the same time put 19 mags in the gun makes it a very functional gun that will fit a lot of different shooters and shooting styles.
As far as Taurus PT-111, I have never shot one, but with my past experience with Taurus quality control, I don’t care for them.
As for price of a PT-111, $300 to 350. If you want to see what others are asking for there pt111 go to the following web.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=Taurus%20PT111
Old February 21, 2009, 10:50 AM   #6
PhoenixConflagration

I think what I'll do is try to rent both and see if the lack of pinky support is a problem in practice. As far as the Taurus, I mostly mentioned it for size comparisons with the G19, since I currently carry the Taurus concealed. I checked the stats on each manufacturers websites and the G19, though a little longer, is a fraction of an inch smaller in height and width. If I can shoot the 26 without trouble, then I'll get it, but I'll get the 19 before buying a grip extension. My local shop offered me $125 for the PT-111. Not sure that's enough.
Old February 21, 2009, 07:44 PM   #7
JN01

I don't mind having my pinky hanging under the magazine, but for a more stable grip and much improved draw, I use the GAP (www.concealablecontrol.com) base plates on all my G26 magazines.
Old February 21, 2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Playboypenguin

I would certainly go with the G26 in this situation. With the grip extension it is one of the most comfortable Glocks I have ever shot. It is also easy to conceal and very lightweight. I have the G33, which is the .357sig version, and I love it. I had the G26 at one time but have since sold it after getting the G33.

I might also suggest looking at the Kahr CW9 if you want an awesome, lightweight, easy to conceal, accurate, and dependable firearm.

Tags
g19 , g26 , pt-111