The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2001, 08:39 PM   #26

Speaking of shipping charges. I was coyote hunting at night the other day and I lost a mag for my BHP. So, today I decided to order a new one from CDNN. The mag was $40. The shipping was $8.99. No shipping options, it doesn't matter what you order, shipping is $8.99 That is what 20% of the cost of my merchandise ? $8.99 to ship one magazine. Forget it. I sent them an E-Mail to that effect. I will have to get along with the 10-12 other mags I have.
Old December 15, 2001, 11:09 PM   #27
garrettwc

by swampgator
Quote:
About the rant. I guess the point is that there are tons of places to do business with, so if you don't like one go somewhere else but don't COMPLAIN about it.
Exactly!!
Old December 16, 2001, 02:24 AM   #28
snuffy

shipping refund

I Made a e-order to Midway back in september for some bullets and other stuff. The next day I got an E-mail confirmation of shipping, and the next day got another E-mail explaning that they had overcharged me for shipping. They said to be looking for a snail mail letter with a refund for $5.66! It came 2 days later. The order was on time(3days), had the right stuff and I had a refund for excessive shipping.

I don't buy all my stuff there, but what I do get is at good prices. I especially like their sales on bullets.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 17, 2001, 09:51 PM   #29
Charmedlyfe

The point is this.....

You place an order with the retail catalog. You pay the HIGHER retail price (versus dealer). That is the difference between a small retail order and a large dealer order. That extra markup is the 'real' small order fee. The extra fee is just EXTRA PROFIT. Now, if they gave EVERYONE the dealer price, and then charged a 'small order fee', that I could probably understand. I have no beef with the change in shipping arrangements.

I guess I'm just goring someone's sacred cow here. 'Loyal customers' seldom question the business practices of the companies they deal with. Good PR can make up for a multitude of sins. OK, so Midway jacks up prices with BS fees to 'make ends meet'. How is that different from S&W placing restrictions on dealers to benefit the company (the dealers can ignore the restrictions by simply not carrying S&W)? Everyone can buy what they want.

If you want to tell everyone how great Midway is, fine. DON'T try to tell me that I have no right to present the other side of the coin. Then, people can make up their own mind.

Interesting how I suddenly become a 'troll' to slickpuppy because I don't agree with his little worldview....

Oh, by the way. For those of you who MIGHT remember the varmint stock I got from Midway, you also MIGHT want to remember how I handled it. If I knew then what I know now, I would've stuck it to Midway on that stock.
Old December 17, 2001, 10:08 PM   #30

Charmedlyfe
You are goring my sacred cow, but I recognize your right to do that. Certainly you have every right to present the other side of the coin. The only problem I have with it is that this has been hashed and rehased so many times. You are right in a way about S&W. Neither Midway or S&W can be brought up in a thread without someone turning the thread into a debate about shipping charges or the klinton agreement. And that gets old. I love S&W revolvers and I would love to read about them without post after post about the agreement. I love Midway and would like to read about them without post after post arguing about the shipping charges. They are right there for all to see and if they are too high they can feel free to order elsewhere. As I posted above, I did this very thing with CDNN. I went to place an order and was outraged at their shipping cost, so I stopped the order. What all this boils down to is; Can't we all just get along and let go of all this ? I disagree with you about comparing Midway's shipping charge being the same as the S&W agreement, but that has been covered in countless other threads. Let's agree to disagree on all this and talk about something new and exciting. But, if you don't agree, as you say you have the right to argue it till the end of time.
Old December 17, 2001, 10:29 PM   #31
slickpuppy

If I have a problem with any company and their product they sell I send it back. Midway and Brownells included. No one is perfect in this little world.

Now crawl back under your bridge troll boy.:barf:
Old December 17, 2001, 11:54 PM   #32
zot

Midway quit selling pistol grips, sucks!
Old December 18, 2001, 10:13 PM   #33
Charmedlyfe

Puppy can'tbe too slick....can't even handle a chronograph.

Old December 21, 2001, 01:38 PM   #34
Pigshooter

I tried Midsouth, they had a significantly better deal than Midway on chronys. But every time I tried to add the item to the cart it told me the product number was not recognized. I tried all of the listed models and the same thing. If they are listening I hope they will look into that.

None of the others have any readily apparent way to see if stock is on hand like Midway either.

In addition to the set price for pulling an order, which is part of the small order fee, if it is a CC order, there is a CC fee they have to pay that you never see. Below a certain amount it is a constant, so that is another part of the $4 fee.

And my god! The small order minimum is $40! I cannot believe that anyone could get out of a store like that for under 3 figures! How do you do it?

One more thing, I flubbed my first on-line order with midway, and they called me and got the correct info. That is pretty good service.
Old December 22, 2001, 08:53 PM   #35
Nukem

I buy from all the major houses, Midway included. What I really miss from Midway is all the truckload sales on Winchester bullets. I used to buy thousands upon thousands from them.
Now I've given those sales (win, .223, 45) to Grafs and (imi, .223-9mm) to Widners.

I'm not bashing them, I always got good service.