The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 11, 2015, 04:29 PM   #26
Paul B.

Try the various rifles mentioned and go with the one that feels the best to you. If a scope is on the gun, does your eye line up with the scope and the picture in the scope point to what you were looking at? The better it fits you the better you will shoot it on the hunt. As to what cartridge choice? The late Col. Townsend Whelen said it best. "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I'm inclined to agree.
Paul B.
Old May 11, 2015, 05:22 PM   #27
stan5677

I've narrowed down my decisions to Remington 700 ADL, Remington 783, Savage Axis or 11, Ruger American, Marlin X7, TC Venture, or one of the Mossbergs. I don't need a pretty rifle with all the latest features or world class craftmanship I just need something reliable and shoots as well as my skills allow.
Old May 11, 2015, 09:09 PM   #28
Saltydog235

Hit the pawn shops and do some bartering. Or look on Armslist for someone trying to unload last years model so they can buy this years flavor. Save some money buying a used gun and go buy some decent glass. Cheap glass gives bad results, if you can't see it, you can't shoot it. Deer love the edge of darkness, worry more about that than the caliber, plenty of those around that will do the work. For your purpose as stated, I'd rather spend $200.00 of my budget on a gun and $300.00 on the optic, heck of a lot of difference in a $100 package scope and a $300.00 optic.
Old May 12, 2015, 01:58 PM   #29
Erno86

I shoot alot at our range...and I find that the cost of a fine rifle or pistol in the $1000-$2000 range is infinitesimal too the cost of the ammo that I usually run thru it --- Maybe not for my Sako deer rifle so much...but my AR's, AK's and 1911's can attest to that fact.

Sako rifles come with a 1" group @ 100 yards guarantee. Other rifles...such as Winchester, Ruger, Browning, etc. can possibly do the same right out of box --- but they do not come with a 1" guarantee.

Google: Sako rifle reputation

I do have another beautiful wood stocked Sako in 222 Remington, that I bought used.

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; May 12, 2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old May 12, 2015, 09:11 PM   #30
hooligan1

The Weatherby Vanguard 2 comes with sub moa guarantee, but its heavier than most factory rifles. The Savage 111, in 3006, or .270 is a nice pick, with money left get decent glass, and ammo, go to the range and test.
I bought a Remington 700 at a pawn shop with a barter with bass fishing rod and reels that I had, and worked on it. This rifle shoots so well I will never turn it loose,(3006) . The pawnshop is where to find decent rifles if you know what to look for.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:12 PM   #31
Unlicensed Dremel

First, last, only....the current Winchester 70s are of fantastic quality. But that's with a specific budget ($900ish) - what's your budget?

The Icon is no more. The Browning Abolt 3 is cheapened and the Xbolt is a no go for me. The Rem 700s and Savages are ok, but nothing to write home about. The Ruger 77 is quite good.

But Win 70s are the best of the bunch among American rifles, save Cooper / Kimber / custom, seems to me.

Of course, several Euros are good (CZ, Steyr, Sako, Tikka). I still don't think they can hang with the quality of Win 70s.

Among the budget-y ones, I think the TC Venture is best. Yeah, Vanguard / Howa after Venture, but kinda heavy and not good trigger. Marlins and Stephens - so many choices. Not a terrible one in the bunch, but some are definitely better than others.

Used, the Browning A-Bolt II and T/C Icon are about as good as the Win 70, and besides, you don't want to go pre-2008ish on Win 70s.

Almost everything is getting cheapened these days, but just spring for a new manuf. Win 70 featherweight, and you'll have an outstanding heirloom rifle. Kinda rambled there; sorry.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; May 21, 2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 23, 2015, 06:56 AM   #32
SARuger

I still say the Ruger American, I own 7 now and they all shoot 1" groups or less at 100yrds, the .243 is amazing. I can get sub MOA with it. As with any budget rifle it can be hit and miss. And you have to find the ammo brand/grain that it likes.

My RAR .243 loves the Fusion 95g with the molycoat, go figure! Its cheap ammo....
Old May 23, 2015, 07:33 PM   #33
22-rimfire

I have always been a Remington person on deer rifles (700 BDL which exceeds your budget except used perhaps). Savage are accurate and well made. I would choose something in the 270 win, 30-06, or 308 win size area and power which should do you for whitetails, black bear, and elk. You don't really need a 300 win mag or 7mm Rem mag as the recoil in my opinion is not justified for normal use in the Eastern US.