The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 26, 2011, 03:30 PM   #1
texasjedi

feeding problems with new xm15-e2s ar15

I recently purchased a new bushmaster xm15. When i went to shoot the gun yesterday I experienced serious feeding errors. every time i shot the rifle the next round would get stuck halfway to the chamber and the bolt would get stuck. I was using a bushmaster factory new magazine (the one that came with my rifle). What are some possible solutions to this problem. I am new to ar15s and dont know **** about them so any suggestions would be forthcoming. thank you
Old June 26, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
geetarman

I have that same rifle and have never experienced that malfunction.

Are you shooting factory loads or reloads?

Are you SURE you have the magazine locked in the gun? Did you try to pull the magazine free after you locked it in place?

Did you make sure the rounds loaded in the magazine were fully seated to the rear of the magazine before you locked the magazine in place?

You say ALL the rounds failed to load into the chamber?

Did you clean the gun before you went to shoot it? If you did, did you lube it well before starting?

In Arizona, most users use grease on the bolt, not oil. The grease stays in place and does not run off like most oil.

Did you try another magazine in your gun?

Did you let someone else try your magazine in their gun?

Teething troubles in new guns is not uncommon. Your problem points to a magazine problem or underpowered ammunition.

Did you "ride" the bolt home or did you let the bolt slam home by using the release on the receiver?

If the first round failed to load properly because of doing that, the rest of your problem sounds like underpowered ammo. The bolt must have enough energy to strip the cartridge off the magazine lips and go fully into battery to work properly. You are not helping if you "ride" the slide home.

Did you try other ammo? From different manufacturers?

There are quite a few things you can look at and the fix is MOST likely something simple.

Please let us know what you find out.

Geetarman
Old June 26, 2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Bartholomew Roberts

Clean rifle per manual. Use generous lubrication - particularly on bolt and bolt carrier rails. The corrosion preventative manys ARs ship with is not much of a lube and the rifle probably just needs that cleaned off and a good lube used.
Old June 26, 2011, 04:50 PM   #4
mc223

ya gotta get the magazine seated. give it a good push into the magwell.

0° 5150
Old June 26, 2011, 05:15 PM   #5
kx592

The only malfunction iv had with my xm15 e2s was the factory bushmaster mag. It double fed on it, changed to my c-products mag and no problems.

Tags
ar15 , bushmaster , feeding problems , xm15