The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2012, 12:26 PM   #176
L_Killkenny

Quote:
newbies seem to gravitate towards the whiz-bang semi-autos that they've seen in the latest action movie, used in the newest version of Call of Duty, or been sold on by the gunstore commando. Instead, it seems to be the more seasoned shooters that eventually come to appreciate the attributes of a good revolver.
Bingo! I'd definetly be more wary of old duffers shooting wheel guns.

Quote:
That analogy would be apt, if you had to pay extra for a manual transmission: have you seen the prices on revolvers!?!? The automatic transmission is an upcharge when buying a car.....
When was the last time you tried to buy just a basic, vanilla pick up? I tried a few years ago. While I wanted AT I didn't want the carpet or the traction control or any of that crap but to get it it would be "Special Order" and cost me more money. You more than likely won't find truck on the lot today with manual transmissions and indeed it may cost you more money to get it.
Old December 12, 2012, 02:07 PM   #177
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's why I buy all of my cars (and most of my guns) used.

I scouted around for over a year before I found the manual transmission Subaru Outback with all the features that I wanted.

Let some other toad take the hit on depreciation.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:07 PM   #178
jason_iowa

I often carry a revolver for back up. Its heavy yes and limited rounds but if i have to ditch the auto i want to know I have something I can get a shot off with. Revolvers are far from dead. If anything I think they are making a resurgence.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:09 PM   #179
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webleymkv
Soldiers, by and large, have to come to the party with whatever gun their government has decided they will bring. The one and only handgun that most American soldiers will ever go into battle with is the Beretta M9 whether they like it or not.
Webley hit the nail square on the head. Your average soldier, even the most hard charging 11B in the 75th Ranger Regiment isn't going to be issued a pistol until he is in a position that the MTOE says call for it.

And here is the blunt truth:

With the exception of some of the uglyness in Iraq in '03, your average guy or girl with an M-9 isn't going to use it.

Our mortarman were issued M-9s. And when we needed them to run patrols instead of drop rounds, they turned in thier Berettas for M-16A2s and went out like normal infantryman.

A good friend mine worked in our intel shop. She deployed with us but never left the wire. Her M-9 stayed shoved in her makeshift wall locker the entire nine months she was downrange.

Not all that glorious is it?

I used my M-9 exactly once, fired four rounds from it. One of which was an ROE mandated warning shot.