The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 22, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1
fsfty

Glock 19 Mag Seating

Im a new shooter and purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19. I've put around 500 rounds through it and it has worked flawlessly. The one thing I have noticed is if im not deliberate in putting in the magazine, it won't seat. I don't have to use excessive force or anything, but again, I would use the word deliberate. This is the case with all mags that came with the gun. Normal?
Old November 22, 2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Crow Hunter

Loaded to capacity (15 rds), they do require some effort to seat. Once the magazine spring wears in really good, it will get easier.

However, that is why I usually run mine with 14 rounds (on my reloads, in the gun is loaded to capacity)to eliminate the possibility of not getting it seated during a tactical reload.

Good luck.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
fsfty

Thanks. I live in the people's republic of NY, so im limited to 10 rounds.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Crow Hunter

Oh crap.

I feel for you. I had a number of them during the ban.

The 10 round mags are even worse than the 15 round mags. The 10 rounders never seem to get better.

I would probably still run 9 rounds in my reload and just manhandle the 10 rounder into position.

My wife also uses a G19 and she has trouble doing reloads at full capacity with the slide closed.

I found this out after loading 15 rounds for several hours in a training class and causing her to fumble reloads. She wasn't amused.

Good luck.
Old November 22, 2012, 09:36 AM   #5
fsfty

Thanks for the advice. I'll try 9 rounds. Im glad it isn't an issue with my gun.
Old November 22, 2012, 11:25 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Im a new shooter and purchased a Gen 4 Glock 19. I've put around 500 rounds through it and it has worked flawlessly. The one thing I have noticed is if im not deliberate in putting in the magazine, it won't seat. I don't have to use excessive force or anything, but again, I would use the word deliberate. This is the case with all mags that came with the gun. Normal?
Normally, wouldn't you be seating the magazine with the slide back?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 22, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7
jhenry

Not if you load one, remove the mag and insert a topped of 10 round mag.

It is almost beyond comprehension to me that portions of America still trust a citizen with multiple 10 round magazines, but not with a single 15 round magazine. All recent events considered, I guess nothing should surprise me.

As for the 10 round mag. I suggest just slapping it in there and calling it good.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:17 PM   #8
geetarman

Quote:
Not if you load one, remove the mag and insert a topped of 10 round mag.
That would only be an issue with the first mag. . .right?

I can't imagine loading one and then loading a full magazine except the first one of the session or for first loadout after cleaning.

Carpe Cerveza
Old November 22, 2012, 01:46 PM   #9
jhenry

True. The OP did not elaborate on the issue.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:27 PM   #10
es483322

I live in NY also and just purchaced a G19 Gen4 and have been having issues with my 10rd mags too, after calling glock about it they had me mail them in for repair/ replacement, we'll see how they work when they come back. It seems like alot the 10rd magazines have problems
Old November 28, 2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Crankgrinder

glocks not the only one that does this my px4 is the same way. If you dont smack that mag in when fully loaded it wont seat. Now with the slide open, as if it had fired its last round and locked open it clicks in nice and easy ready to drop the slide on the first round