The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 23, 2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Mawetta

Online Purchase/ new question

We previously had a debate over NICS process and such, I've received really good information , thanks.

New question is Can I get the gun, I traded for, shipped and gifted to my father. When the store asks me for shipping info I can gift it, shipping in my fathers name?
Old June 23, 2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Doyle

The easiest way is for the gun to get shipped to an FFL near your father in his name and let him pass the NICS call.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Mawetta

So you're saying I can have the gun shipped to him, in his name, when the Online shop asks me to provide shipping info?

I really do want the gun to go to my father, I don't plan on possessing the firearm on my person or in my vehicle. I just want to be able to practice my shooting.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4
docpadds

Find and then call a destination FFL near your father and explain it to them. We have handled gifts before, somebody out of state bought it for them in-state and pre-paid us for the transfer etc..... we did the paperwork on the gun and out he went with his gift. Thats for the delivery side.

I cant say we have ever had anyone buy a gun online to be picked up by somebody else, every one of them has had the original persons name on them when shipped out to the destination. That said, if the receiving FFL knows that one is coming in with your name but its for your dad, then so be it.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
NavyLT

I would say the answer to your question is ENTIRELY a matter of an agreement between you and the FFL who is receiving/transferring the gun.

I would imagine some FFLs would be OK transferring a gun to your father if it comes to them in your name, as a gift to him, and some would require the firearm to be shipped to them in his name.
Old June 24, 2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Don P

I smell the possibility of the FFL thinking straw sale? Maybe its just me. How is FFL to be sure son is not allowed to buy gun being dad is picking it up. Someone in this transaction has to pass the NICS check, no/yes?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 24, 2010, 04:53 PM   #7
docpadds

Yes if they both turned up at the same time, but if its a son elsewhere buying for a father in town then thats less likely.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:13 PM   #8
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpadds
Yes if they both turned up at the same time, but if its a son elsewhere buying for a father in town then thats less likely.
Why? I bought my ex-wife several handguns that way. I took her to the gun store, she picked out what she wanted. I gave the FFL the money, did the 4473, passed the NICS check, handed her the gun right there on the spot as a gift. With us being military, I could buy them on my orders and active duty ID card, but she could not (from the FFL) because she had an out of state driver's license. But, since she lived in the same house as me, she was a resident of the same state and not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms.

Then the $%*&# sold the same guns for 1/2 their worth before the divorce even went to court.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:18 PM   #9
docpadds

He said the "possibility" of a straw sale and that is a far more likely scenario when some guy comes in and buys a gun for some other guy, we dont know who they are and when one selects and the other pays/does paperwork then is suspicious. Now if we know or can be shown its otherwise fine, but if we dont know them and who they are then we are perfectly at liberty to refuse the sale.

Interstate is far less likely to be that, not as though somebody in another state paying for a gun for somebody in this state is doing much else then gifting, hardly a convenient straw sale and they are generally very open about what they are doing etc.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Mawetta

We'll see what happens, I'n waiting for my Traded rifle to be inspected which should be by Monday, Then i will see if the guy will ship the Handgun , to the ffl, in my dads name. So we all will know by the end of next week.
Old June 24, 2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Darren007

Here's an idea. Why don't you just call the FFL you're planning on having the firearm shipped to and ask?
Old June 24, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
NavyLT

Quote:
Here's an idea. Why don't you just call the FFL you're planning on having the firearm shipped to and ask?
That's what I would do.
Old June 24, 2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Mawetta

The guy who runs it is a tight-wad. Well the gun owner reminds me of my old Chief. I seriously think he might be related to the Chief i knew. I am actually scared of this guy even though i am not in military. LT, some chiefs just scare the sht out of me. lol!

I don't want to make him suspicious. He already kicked me out of his shop once, although he is the one who mailed my rifle. I just want to have no part in this transaction, I want the shop i am buying from to ship the gun in my dads name and have nothing to do with picking it up at the FFL.
Old June 28, 2010, 01:53 AM   #14
Mawetta

Everyone wish me luck tomorrow in passing my 4473 and NICS check. Beretta!

I was delayed .

Last edited by Mawetta; June 28, 2010 at 01:16 PM.